I'm alive

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello group on August the 6th last year my af led to a ha,also had 4 cardiac arrests all in the same morning,I have 2 stents and a icd unit fitted.I am alive only because my wife was running late for work.it has been one of the hardest years of my life.I got to thank all the staff who saved my life I have ptsd and anxiety, I still have bad days but am so thankful for a second chance ,I start back at work next year into my old trade painter&decorator. Tried to get a driving delivery job no one was willing to try me my heart last year was working at 20%,my cardio nurse rang me thursday results of my last ecco it was upto 52%.apart from my weight gain I am loving life again.I had genuinely forgot I was a member of this group memorys not what it was but I'm back to chat and post.also hopefully any questions that are asked.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

popeye, congrats on your recovery and welcom back. It's great to hear some good news.

• Posted

Good to hear from you again as we were all fearing the worst.

Glad that you are getting over such a bad year.

• Posted

Popeye!! You're very naughty! We really thought your number was up when we didn't hear from you for so long.  Glad to hear you're still in the land of the living...and on the mend too.  Good luck with the job situation ?? x

• Posted

Good to hear that you're doing OK. From time to time I wonder about people that haven't/stop posting and think to myself "have they dropped off the perch, or have they stabilised/recovered to a point that they feel they no longer need this forum?"

Anyway, nice to see that your back.

I can relate to that that reassuring feeling of having a vastly improved EF.

I was down to 25% when I joined the 'AF world' in Dec 2014, and cardiologist was hoping to get me back into the '40s'. He was also talking about the possibility of implanting a defibrillator if my EF didn't get to this point, so like you, was overjoyed when my EF improved to 54%!  With regular gentle exercise it has further improved now to 63% and am feeling fantastic( also, the added befits of losing 15kgs can't be understated here).

Anyway, great to hear from you again,??

• Posted

Hey! Popeye. God is good. Wasn't in on your conversations before but glad to hear u r getting your life back. I am 2 wks post ablation( afib started in February). Today is the first day I have "felt little blips". Hope that doesn't indicate afib is still there.

Will keep track of your conversation to old friends. Take care.

• Posted

Don't worry too much about the 'little blips'. 

I'm 3 months post ablation and saw my EP a few days ago. I was surprised to that learn that the implanted loop recorder that I have in my chest had detected a 3hr episode of AF when I was 2weeks post ablation.

I had no idea this had occurred until He told me the other day,

My EP said he wasn't concerned about it, and that it is all pretty normal. He went on to explain that's why they have a 3month 'blanking period' post ablation (which I was already aware of), as it takes a while for everything to settle down.

Naturally I was a little disappointed to learn that I'd had a short-lived AF episode, but at the same time I guess I shouldn't get too 'hung up' about it as it was so soon after the ablation.

I think I'll take it as a timely reminder that I NOT cured of AF, but have seemingly/hopefully 'arrested' it, PROVIDED That I continue to be sensible & careful with my diet and lifestyle, and continue to addressing my risk factors. 

My biggest issue is alcohol. I love a glass of red wine, and have noticed that my body seems to tolerate one or two glasse. On a couple of occasions recently though, I have had four or fives glasses of red and have woken in the small hours of the morning to a pounding heart doing about 85bpm (according to my Fitbit) about 20bpm more than normal. 

Both times I took a Sotolol tablet (an old med that I haven't taken since my ablation as it was slowing my heart a bit too much) and it slowed me down nicely both times.

I have to reluctantly acknowledge that these two occasions, in combination with the 3hr AF episode, is my heart's way of letting me know that if I keep 'pushing the boundaries' My Afib will probably return.

So at the moment, I kind of feel like I'm in 'remission' from Afib, but by no means cured of it; whilst at the same time, realise my future Afib status lies firmly in my own hands (I think?) !!

• Posted

Thanks for mentioning the "blips". I go for my 2 wk checkup Monday. I have put up my blood pressure monitor and am trying to keep my fingers off my neck. I keep checking for regularity and so far so good. Today however, I felt a "little out of sorts" like when your sugar is low, heart was skipping occasionally, but Maintained around 65(as far as I could count). I think dehydration is a problem. I totally am not a water drinker and I used to drink at least a liter of Pepsi a day. I gave all that up in February and am now having a hard time

making myself drink water. Don't like coffee,

everything else has too much sugar and I hate

diet stuff.

My EP said about 80 percent chance ablation will work. Probably a second is in order. I'm like you- want it to be a cure all. I did terrible in recovery. A lot of pain, and I am allergic to most pain meds. They cause as much biliary spasm pain as the surgery itself. They also broke two teeth intubating me. Thanks for letting me get this off my chest.

• Posted

Hi Popeye lankylass here, wow you had us all scared for a minute. Glad you are ok, you've had a tough old year, good that your wife was running late eh? Nice to see you back on and look forward to your funny storie in future. Cx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.