I'm curious if anyone else has had Peroneal, Achilles, and Brostrom surgery?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I've seen a lot of good and helpful posts in here about some of these procedures individually, but I've never seen one where anybody has had all 3 at the same time. With all that said, I am one of the unlucky few who have had all 3 done at the same time.

I had these procedures done about 6 weeks ago and my Dr didn't give a whole lot of details for recovery times or what app I could expect.

Here's my own details and experience so far. I was in a hard cast for a little over 2 weeks and have been in an Aircast boot since then. I started, on my own, physical therapy at week 4. Right now I've only had 2 therapy appointments and the pt has me doing some range of motion exercises and self massage. My swelling is still pretty bad and I'm also totally non weight bearing. I get cramps badly in the muscle I have left. I also, according to the pt, developed turf toe in one of the falls I had while in the hard cast. Therfore I can't do toe flexes like my pt wants me to do. I unfortunately can't ask my Dr anything about this anymore due to after my followup appointment with him, I lost my job and insurance. Luckily I'm still getting paid via my short and long term insurance. I also moved since the surgery and finally found a Dr who will see me for my 60 day followup, but that won't be until March.

I get sharp stabbing pains along my Achilles incision with no other complications to that. I get a numb pushing pain around the front of my ankle which I assume is associated with the Brostrom procedure with no other noticeable complications. The oddest one I'm guessing it's due to the peroneal site. I get a massive clawing and burning pain near the incision and even up to my little toe. Sometimes that pain become a shocking stabbing jolt, almost like electricity shooting from the incision to the little toe. My little toe is bruised as a result close to the toenail. Also that side of my foot always seems to have a fever yet doesn't look infected in any way. Then trying to sleep is a whole other beast. It's like my nerves and vessels wait to regenerate until I'm ready to fall asleep lol. I get that burning sensation like you'd been sitting on your foot and then it tries to wake up. Here recently I'm also getting the urge to stretch my leg to the point that it tries to pull my foot in a bad way.

Has anyone else had all these procedures or even 1 or 2 of them and you're experiencing anything like I've described? If so, what did you do and what did you find out? I'd you had other things I'd love to hear about it all Wray what did or did not help. If you've been through this, how long did it take to recover, how long before you could walk with the boot but without crutches? I go to see my new Dr in a new state in March, so I'll happily update when I find out more info smile.

I badly want to attempt to walk, in the boot, but I'm also afraid since my last order at week 3 was to remain non weight bearing for an indefinite period.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

H lone I had the two but mines nearly 5months but yes I get that we're I have to stretch  the leg out out night when it wake up , any walking with out crunchers well I would use one if you feel safe but it's up to u better to be safe than sorry u don't want to fall.  I had my boot on 7weeks or more ,,, I think u just have to hang in there hope   You get it sorted and with u well ,,😀

• Posted

Thanks for the reply lindasmile

So you're still getting that urge to stretch even at month 5? Wow, I guess this is going to be a long recovery for sure then sad

How did it feel to finally come out of the boot and be able to sleep without it on?

Right now I'd love to sleep without the boot, walk, heck even take a nice long hot bath lol. This I'm sure will sound strange, but I'd even love to be able to go back to work at this point. My wife feels like she's having to take on most all the load and that's not fair to her or even myself. I can't even help her make dinner since I'm nwb and let's face it, you can't really carry anything while crutching around.

I just thought of something else, thanks to the cooking part. When you were on crutches and tried standing in place, did it cause the arch of your good foot to crap up? If so, what did you do to alleviate that?

Kudos on 5 months and you'll have to tell me how you're recovery and rehab is going so far smile

• Posted

Hi Lone ,  I never did sleep. 😴  In mine but I know it takes.  Exercise    And. Patience...I went to a lovely lady today who is trained in this field she told Me to do theses  Exercise ,s first but not so much of   The ones I was doing if you buy a ball from sports shop they are the  plastic ones with tiny spikes on them the small balls and the  tennis  balll u can get 3 in sports  Direct .  She told me to roll my foot back and fordward,, and circle. Movement ,, it helps the. ArKillers.. other one is it a broom long hande one what the wife uses sand with it on the bad foot and try and left your bad foot up then down same another side ,,and I told her about my knees the casters played them up she said get a block of wood quite think so u can step on it and off ten times 2 a day to start ,,, so try it she's a.   one to one ,,,  she's very clever she only chargers me £10 hour and yo see her mothering bless her fit lady better than some docters hope it helps see he next week to see what she says or if she sees any results eeeeeeerrr. Good Luck I am sure u will be backing cooking and helping you dear wife tc all 👌Linda .

• Posted

Sorry should have read she didn't charge me nothing for seeing her today .i am really tired today as I didn't sleep well last night and been to the gym as well wed 😔

• Posted

My pt put me on am exercise bike yesterday, even though I'm still non weight bearing. I regretted it badly last night, as my calf muscle would not stop trying to cramp up lol. My heel was also on fire so I took it upon myself to take the boot off and try to sleep without it. Needless to say I didn't sleep very well and I'm sure it's because subconsciously I was nervous about injuring my ankle in my rest. That and I've developed a bad cough. My wife is insisting she take me to an urgent care clinic today to make sure it's not pneumonia. Crossing my fingers it's not ands hoping that whatever is causing the cough, they can cure it smile.

That's a good thing she didn't charge you. Always nice to get something unexpected and good smile. Has the block of wood helped with your knee? I'll try that as soon as I can weight bear again.

So far my pt is still doing a massage along the scar sites, manually flexing my ankle, has me attempting to bunch up a towel with my toes (unsuccessfully I might add thanks to the turf toe), doing foot lifts and toe lifts with my heel on the ground, trying to spread my toes (he should be thankful I can even wiggle them lol), some sort of board that's a circle with a ball under it and he gets me, while seated, to push the board down front then down back and the same to the sides, and then the addition if the exercise bike yesterday.

Today I am officially 6 weeks post-op with 2 weeks and 3 days until I see my new DPM Dr.

• Posted

Hi there Lone , sorry 😐 to hear you aren't feeling so go hope you sort it I am sure u will be fine with the help from your lovely wife and family it helps ,, Try putting the sock on you have to wear with your boot at night just wear it u should hurt it ,,, did they tell u to sleep in it now ,, just check may be you should as it's not long after   Just check with your docter when u go ,, it's working I no I am knacked today ,,, my foot tonight keeps jumping the neves. In the whole foot ,,, I had to go to my trainer guy today who emails my docter in London as I live. About 2 half hours from London so I have to get friends to take me up as family are working ,, my trainer guy said he can see I improve in me slightly ,but I said I can't see it ,, so I have to do now ball 🏀   Movement god that's really hard work ,any way need to sleep now been on my iPad to long 😂Good luck let me know how you get on mine is still tight just hopeing it will give ,Linda 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.