I'm having gallbladder out - Help!

Posted , 14 users are following.

I have now seen the consultant and he has confirmed I need to have my gallbladder out, filled in forms and they did bloods whilst there and said operation date will arrive shortly. Now because of this I have been reading a bit more about the op and to be honest I'm now even more worried than I was.

I've seen some posts about making sure you keep your underwear on for the op, surely they cover you up and don't leave you laying there naked? Didn't worry about this until I read that!

The consultant said sometimes they have to leave a drain in for a few days and then you go back and have it removed, has anyone had this before?

Keep seeing stories of people feeling worse after having it removed than they did before, im hopeing that the majority feel better?

If everything is ok and I feel ok do you think I will be able to go back to work after a week? Or will I need the 2 weeks off!

Sorry for lots of questions, got lots going through my head!

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I am booked to have my operation on the 19th January. My consultant informed me that for the operation you wear paper pants and surgical gown. I will be staying in overnight and will hopefully go home the following morning. I have been advised that I will need at least two weeks off work. Hope this helps x
  • Posted

Lucy,

I have had my gallbladder removed in November and I am doing great.

like I never even had it removed.

Before the operation the anethesia team prep you for the operation, I was wearing my boxer shorts, stockings and the grown, they asked me if I wanted to keep my boxers on as they might get mucky, I said leave them on please. They said some people usually have expensive ones...lol..

Anyway, after the operation, when I woke up, I found I actually had nothing on undr the sheets...whoops. And they put my boxers in a bag on my bed.

and the gallstones they removed were also next to my bed.

i went home a few hours later, the requirement is that you are able to go to the toilet yourself and do a wee, that you can drink and eat something and that is what ticks the boxes for you to leave. 

I went home with cocodomol and paracetamol, I was in bed for 3 days on drugs, then I stopped the drugs on day 4 and I was on my feet after that, you could if you had a office job, start after 1 week like I did, I work from home so was easy to get back into work.

And I was eating back to normal after 2 weeks. 

I did did not have a drain when I woke up. 

pleasee see the you tube operation video, you will see why they have to put a drain in, it's just to remove the water/liquid inside when they wash things.

i hope this helps. Any other questions, please feel free to ask. 

I joined the forum just like you as I needed answers, now I am sticking around to tell people there is light at the end of the tunnel. It is not all doom and gloom.

Ajay

• Posted

Thankyou so much, that really helps, I get nervous in hospitals so like to have an idea of what is going to happen and it's so good to hear such a positive outcome from having it removed, I know I'm doing the right thing but do worry when I read some of the bad stories. Is the tube operation video on here or you tube? Will have a look for it.

My surgeon is really nice which is good, felt a bit happier after meeting him and heard how many he does a year!

My job involves lifting and bending a lot so might stick with the 2 weeks off, when did you start driving again?

• Posted

Hi Lucy

I had my gall bladder removed, they give you disposable pants and you are coverd.

I had key hole surgery and a drain was not needed. They just have to explain every eventuality. 

You will be fine. and your only in around 45 mins and i was home by tea time xx

• Posted

That's fab, I get nervous in hospitals so will be happy if I don't have to stay in very long. Thankyou

• Posted

Hey Lucy,

I'm in the US so I'm not sure if they do it differently elsewhere. I was completely naked (with a gown, of course) but that wasn't something I was overly concerned about. I'd like to think surgeons and nurses are professional and aren't going to giggle/look at anything!

I did have a drain from my operation on Thursday until I got it out on Tuesday. I believe you only have a drain if you end up being opened completely up or there were complications. This did NOT happen to me - I believe that it was just the surgeon's choice to put a drain in. My dad had the same procedure with the same surgeon and he had a perfectly normal lap operation and had a drain. I've been on these forums for years and I think I've only read of one other person besides me having a drain. Chances are, you won't have one. If you do, the worst part about them is that they're annoying. I had to sleep in a chair instead of my bed because I tended to roll onto it. It doesn't hurt at all, it really just is a nuisance.

I was definitely sore for a good 3 days after surgery. My throat hurt from intubation and my shoulders/neck were killing me because of the gas. Make sure to get up and walk around a bit every once in a while to help the gas get out. I was back to work the day after my drain was out. I was definitely slowed down a bit and got tired faster but that only lasted a few days. It only took a few weeks to feel great again, but would've been able to go back to work sooner if not for the drain.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

• Posted

Thankyou for that, it's so good to hear that things went well after reading lots of bad stories. I do a lot of bending and lifting in my job so I guess it's probably best to book the 2 weeks off and then see how I am. Was you ok to drive that soon after?

• Posted

My dad drove the day after the surgery. I probably could've if I had wanted to. They say not to lift 10 lbs for 2 weeks after the surgery, and then increase by 5 lbs every week after that. I'd talk to your surgeon about that to be completely sure. You definitely don't want to hurt yourself trying to heal!

I read a ton of bad stories too - but the truth is, over 700,000 gallbladder are removed every year and you only hear a handful of bad stories. You probably have up to a 97% chance of being perfectly fine afterwards.

• Posted

Hi Lucy,

You might be able to drive, but it's best not to.  Some insurance companies won't cover accidents if the driver has just had surgery! I suggest that you contact your insurance company and find out what their policies are!  It's better to be safe.

• Posted

Thanks, I will do. Probably won't want to drive until I go back to work anyway.xx

• Posted

Thanks, I will have a chat to the consultant when I have the op and see what he advises .
  • Posted

I had mine out in September and all went well. I too am in US and was naked but covered with a gown. My operation went fine. No drain. I would recommend 2 weeks off. I was also scared to eat but ate a normal meal 4 days after and no crazy bathroom runs! I was eating normal again! Some tips is to take multivitamins and also a stool softener if you are going to take pain pills. Also take probiotics to counteract the bad impacts antibiotics given during surgery have on your stomach bacteria. I think people have problems after because their stomach flora is off balance! Take the probiotics! Also have a small pillow with you at home so if you cough or sneeze or move push tight against your stomach to help! It makes a huge difference! The first 2-3 days are the hardest because they pump gas into your abdomen during surgery so try to lift legs and push that gas out and you'll feel so much better! Good luck!

• Posted

Thankyou very much for your advice, it's good to hear from someone who has had it done and all was good 😊

• Posted

Hi Lucy,

Before the surgery you will be given a hospital gown, and you will need to remove your underwear.  The staff will make every effort to preserve your modesty.  You need to understand that the surgical suite is a sterile area, and that your underwear will have traces of bacteria on it that can bring contamination into the surgical fleld and into your body.  

The use of a drain can occur when there are complications during surgery, but that is rare.

The majority of people feel better.  

You need to take the 2 weeks off and allow yourself enough time to heal from the procedure!  Despite the small incisions it is major surgery.

Good luck to you!  I'm sure all will be fine!  Let me know how you get on!

• Posted

Thankyou Lynda, I don't really mind not having underwear on and assumed that's how it would be but then read that once your asleep they just take your gown off and don't cover you up at all but like you said I'm sure they do try.

I get nervous going to the hospital, I like to have an idea what is going to happen to prepare me a bit.

Will book 2 weeks off work then, I do a lot of bending and lifting so probably for the best.

Thankyou so much for your post.

• Posted

Hi, Lucy,

I can well understand that you are nervous about the upcoming surgery and all it entails.  As for me, I was so glad to get my gallbladder out, I didn't care what happened as long as when I woke up from anesthesia it was gone!  

As for your work, it may take longer than 2 weeks for you to be able to lift and bend. So, I would warn them that depending on your doctor's instructions, it might take longer. That way it's not you that's telling them, it's your physician!

Best of luck to you!  Please let me know how it goes! xx  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.