I'm having peculiar sensations in my feet after bilateral scarf osteomety?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello all,

I am new to this site so bare with me smile

On Thursday 1st December I had a bilateral scarf osteomety/hallux vagus correction! I have two screws in each foot that are permanent. Surgery went well and I left the hospital with crutches and some sexy looking wedge shoe things!

I'm on day 4 and currently no longer in much pain, I have random sharp shooting pains in my feet and big toes now and again, but I've read that this is all normal!

I've had my feet elevated on a mound of pillows since returning from the hospital and have only got up to use the bathroom which is 6 feet from my bedroom. Today I felt a bit naughty and headed downstairs to sit in the garden for 5 minutes. After being in bed for 3 days it was sensational to get some fresh air!

However, an hour after that I have had some strange sensations in my feet. It feels like they are extremely heavy? Like I have a concrete block sitting on top of them and pushing them downwards? This is also accompanied with strong pins and needles in my feet and ankles.

Is this normal??? It's not painful, but GOODNESS ME IT'S ANNOYING. I can't get comfortable at all! I feel like I need to move my feet around constantly to stop the heaviness!

Any advice or reassurance would be most appreciated!

Thank you smile

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Do you know? I think that's your feet swelling up because you need to keep them up. I had the same procedure as you ; I'm almost 8 weeks post surgery. I was told that I should keep my feet elevated for 2 weeks (a long time, I know). I tried, but, like you, I needed a change of scene, so I pottered around a bit. I have to say that I experienced the same heaviness ( no pain at all) and I think it was my body telling me something. Even now, 8 weeks on, if I'm on my feet for too long, they do swell and feel uncomfortable. Elevation is the key :-). On the plus side - no more painful, lumpy feet. We have to look forward to wearing normal shoes (I still can't get my shoes on, but each day shows improvement). Off to buy some cheap ballet pumps today because I have had enough of my Herman Munster boots :-D!!! I hope your recovery is quick and comfortable. Take care.

• Posted

I agree with the previous post I believe we all "tested" the waters and discovered bedrest is the best with elevated feet. I had my surgery on September 19,2016 and I'm just now really seeing a major decrease in swelling. On long days of work I experience swelling, but it gets better and better each week. I went to Payless and bought wide shoes or a half a size larger. Beats the monster boots! I wish super healing to you it does get better it just takes time!

• Posted

I've discovered that I only get pins and needles when I have my feet elevated. It is relieved when I put my feet down, and then as soon as they're up again, the pins and needles starts. Is this normal?

• Posted

That sensation is quite normal. Keep your leg elevated and put ice packs and it will go away.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.