I'm in constant fear of being sick and having panic attacks, can anyone help?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I don't really know where to start. I started having panic attacks over a year ago and it frustrates me every time because I never used to be scared of little tiny things. It would always happen mostly at night but also when I'm surrounded by lots of people. Just lately I get myself into a panic before I go to sleep because I'm terrified I'm going to wake up and be sick resulting me on not sleeping and effecting my job. I used to love food like you wouldn't believe but now my appetite has just gone because I'm so scared. I'm fairly skinny as it is so it's starting to worry me.

I'm so angry at myself and I don't know what to do. I've always been such a happy and bright person and now I feel like the life has been sucked out of me and I'm only 21, I should be enjoying life, I can't have anxiety. I really don't know what to do, I was considering cognitive behavioural therapy but I'm not sure. If anyone has any suggestions I would really really appreciate it because I feel so alone and lost.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lily,

You are not alone, you will find plenty of support and advice here. I encourage you to read around.

CBT is very helpful, I'd recommend it. There are various medicines that can help with anxiety - don't be afraid to try them if you are really struggling.

What I pick up on most here is the anger and frustration you have at yourself. Its not your fault, these things happen to the best of us, and there is never a good time for these to happen and often it is events outside of our control. Its also much more common than you may think. One thing I picked up in therapy is the notion of compassion - be compassionate to yourself, rather than angry. If you feel the anger rising, take a moment to realise and try and assess whats happening more rationally. This helped me with my anger, by treating anxiety (as well as medicine, Pregabalin for anxiety if you're interested).

I'd also try breathing exercises, or Yoga - there are apps or you tube for that...

Best wishes,

Michael

• Posted

Thank you Michael, I really appreciate the comment. It's nice to know I'm not alone in this all.

I tried these 'calm' pastilles but they stopped working after a while. I'll have good days and really bad days. I'm on the waiting list for CBT now.

Again, thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it.

Lily x

• Posted

Hello lily

With your anxiety and loss of weight I would advise you discuss all with your GP

I would imagine He will medicate and make an appointment for you to see a CPN for some CBT and coping exersises

If you need support there is always someone around to chat to

BOB

• Posted

Thanks Bob, I really appreciate it.

I'm quite scared to go to the doctors because I don't think they'll take me seriously. I'm 7 and a half stone and I try to put on weight but my appetite has just disappeard.

Lily x

• Posted

Hi Lily,

Fear is normal - and I can understand the fear. Your doctor probably sees a few paitients a week with similar challenges that you are facing, it is very common. I am sure your doctor will assist you in the best way they can. 

Best wishes,

Michael  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.