I'm just wondering... Glandular Fever Symptoms

Posted , 25 users are following.

I am (usually) a fit 29 yr old woman who is very active.

I have been suffering from GF since April and only had blood tests done about a week ago as I broke down to my Dr and said I was sick of being sick as its now July. I had a Full Blood Count, EBV and STD & I got my results back. Everything was fine except for 1 - the EBV. This is the worst I've ever felt, hence why I wanted to be tested for every thing.

My symptoms include:

Sore throat

Tight neck

Pain behind ears

Overwhelming and extreme tiredness.

Headaches

On an off I get these symptoms:

Pins and Needles in arms hands and feet.

Sore neck.

Sore back between shoulder pains.

Aching hips.

Now I am having chest pain, is this common?

I haven't read anything about chest, back or aching hips and I am hoping I'm not suffering from anything else?

Any more advice from anyone or if any one has different like me can you please respond so I can set my mind at ease and stop thinking I have something else more serious? It will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

0 likes, 65 replies

65 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi,

As you are so run down you will have back and hip pain, mainly due to the fatigue.

With regards to your chest pain, what does this feel like? Is it when you breath in and out, as this could suggest you have a chest infection as well? Have you got a productive cough?

• Posted

Hi Megan

Thank you for replying, it means a lot. I have a dry cough but I only cough maybe 2/3 times a day? And it only hurts when I break in an out sometimes. It comes and goes through out the day...

I am the type to get anxiety of symptoms like this and have been stressing so much over the last few weeks because I am sick of feeling like this and not getting better..

• Posted

Hi there,

I've been sick 9m with ebv. It's wicked. And yes to all your symptoms plus insomnia and anxiety through it all. Ebb has no limits. I was dx with pots too at some point. All are very slow to resolve and I've learned lots. Hang in there. It's a nasty virus.

R

• Posted

Oh really? You poor thing, I obviously know what you've been going through, I've felt like this since April.

I too have anxiety, it gets really bad especially when I'm alone at night. But having people like everyone on his forum to talk to helps.

I'm thinking of you and am hoping for a fast recovery for you, me and everyone here.

Jay x

• Posted

Jaygov,

what you are describing sounds normal for all of us-- we all have experienced weird symptoms that are side effects of GF (mono).  Of course you should check with your doctor to make sure you don't have anything else going on.

You can read all my posts for the last several months.  I am still struggling with chest pains and pain in my hips--some days worse than others.  If I am stressed at all, even if it is pleasant stress like going to my sisters house for lunch, I get many different physical symptoms.  Like headaches, nausea, heart palpitations, shaking hands, weakness in my legs, back ache and feelings of panic.  But these seems to get better with rest and time.  You too will get better!  This is a nasty virus, that demands us to respect our bodies and let our bodies heal at their own rate.

• Posted

Yes, I feel all the same...exactly. it is the virus. It's hard on adrenals too throwing all of our bodies off.

R

• Posted

Thank you for your reply and hope and encouragement!

Today I just have a weak body and sore chest again.. I woke up feeling okay but the minute I move I start feeling yuck!

I am too beginning to learn paitence. Finally coming to terms with this and just deciding to "ride it out"

• Posted

So sorry you have been sick and for so long with this illness. It is quite devastating and full,of so many different uncomfortable and at times, painful symptoms. I've been sick and off work since February with both the ebv and hhv-6 viruses. I've also had some adrenal issues

• Posted

which sometimes present with these viruses, when my adrenals were very low, my lower back pain was almost unbearable, your adrenal glands are located above your kidneys. If your chest continues to hurt, I would inform your doctor because there can be heart involvement with these viruses. Be easy on yourself, treat yourself well, I know that's hard with the anxiety 

• Posted

Heart involvement? That's scary!

I'll see how I go, it's about a 6 / 10 pain at the moment and it comes and goes. If I wake up tomorrow and it's still around I'll call the doctor.

Can't wait for my body to go back to normal!

• Posted

Hi Jaygov!

I saw in the other thread that you're also from Australia. i am too! Nice to finally meet a fellow aussie with ebv too, though im sorry to hear it as i know how terrible it is. Im a 26 year old mum of 2 kids and i caught glandular fever from them in October last year. This has without a doubt been the most challenging time of my life.. i get full body symptoms, things that you would never usually associate with a virus. Shooting pains, muscle twitches, ibs, malaise, anxiety, depression etc etc. Im improving but it's extremely slow. I've also had chest pains.. i get pain literally in any part of the body but thankfully it's usually short lived. I find my symptoms cycle around and around eventually becoming less and less severe.

• Posted

Hi Aquin!

Where abouts in Australia are you? I'm in Perth and I am a single mum with 1 child. And omg it's so hard getting out of bed in the morning right now.

I also find new symptoms daily! Just when I think I'm getting over it something else happens and that's when I hit a brick wall with anxiety and depression.. I just have to take it one day at a time I guess..

I am so sorry you have this, wouldn't wish this on anyone.. X

• Posted

Hello!

I totally 100% understand. When i was in the depth of it a few months ago i didn't even want to get out of bed. Each day i woke up more and more depressed. Things are definitely a bit better now but i still have sudden weakness and dizziness etc. My social life is pretty much on hold because I get so anxious in conversation. Its really flipped my life upside-down for the past 9 months but i now i have hope that things will get better.

I live in northern NSW in a little country town. Its so hard to meet anyone who truely understands.. i guess thats why we resort to the Internet! I really feel for you.. i know how hard it is sad i feel like I've missed out on months of my kids lives. So difficult to face each day. Please message me if you ever want to chat.. its a lonely illness. Do you experience brain fog and feeling distant or disconnected from reality? Its an odd symptom but seens common with this virus.

All the best lovely xx

• Posted

I completely relate, I find that conversations with more than one person gives me anxiety and gets me nervy because I can't keep up. I also feel I haven't been able to keep up as a mum, so the other day when I was feeling good I took my child out and bought so many new things, came home and the whole next day I was in bed.

It's so lonely and I think no one gets it unless they have been through it but everyone I know has had different symptoms that's why I originally freaked out.

I definitely get the brain fog and I zone out. My legs are just exhausted mostly and the chest pain has been coming and going..

Hope you had a good day xx

• Posted

Hi Aquin,

I had to register and join this forum as I have been recently diagnosed with glandular fever as well as already having gall bladder issues that I'm trying to improve. Aswell as feeling over down about the glandular fever I have started getting sharp pains in my lower right abdomen?! Was wondering you had similar shooting pains. They don't last too long but they're extremely uncomfortable and I'm not sure if I have something else going wrong with me or if it's just my anxiety trying to ruin my life again. Somebody help ????

• Posted

Hi Samantha,

Yep i have had shooting pains *everywhere* they generally dont last too long.. a few seconds to a full day max but occasionally on and off for a week and then it disappears. How long have you had the pains for?

• Posted

Just started yesterday it's only happened a few times and as you said only last a few seconds. I just overthink symptoms a lot and am quite relieved to hear others experience the same things. Not as worried now..I'm so used to being healthy and doing whatever I like so this virus has brought me down abit! Thanks for the reply!

• Posted

Does anyone happen to associate certain symptoms with certain foods? Not sure if there's anything I should be avoiding in order to not get the shooting pains and such!

• Posted

Have you recovered? Any tips for people in the recovery process?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.