I'm Not Alone!!!

Posted , 5 users are following.

I just happened across this forum and I sure am happy about it!!  I don't even know where to begin.  But like all of you I'm searching for relief and answers.  I had surgery on my right wrist for 2 torn ligaments 12/8/15. I developed shoulder pain during the time I had my cast on, which was too tight.  I had to have the cast taken off 2 weeks early (and it should have been much earlier).  Because the cash was too tight, I developed CRPS (Complex Regional Pain Syndrome), which required a 2nd surgery.  All the while my shoulder was aching, but not yet stiff.  Somewhere along the line the pain became worse and the stiffness set in.  I have been going to physical therapy for my hand/wrist and along the way they startied working with my shoulder also.  I just started massage therapy a couple of weeks ago hopiing they can help break up the adhesions. My massage therapist has had Frozen Shoulder in both of her shoulders and we are really working together to find new techniques and so forth.  I'm afraid that no matter what, this is just something we have to wait out.  And hopefully the massage will at least give a little relief.  Once I am done with physical therapy on my hand/wrist, I think I will just stop the PT.  As I've read, others felt it just caused more pain...and I'm in agreement with that. Thanks for being here!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Laura and welcome., that's awful to hear that your symptoms seem to have developed due to someone's neglect!!! I do hope you find relief with the massge, I went to a pressure point massge guy and I found that he really helped; along side a heat mat and a TENS machine . I found that PT aggravated the condition, but everyone is different... I agree that this is something that cannot and will not be rushed, each stage has to be worked through the best way we can, but there is light at the end of the tunnel (I can vouch for that), I am now frozen and the constant "toothache " in my arm, shoulder, wrist and hand has gone and I'm just left with limited ROM which I can cope with.

We are always here to chat , take care

Cindy x

• Posted

Hi Laura!

Sorry to hear about your condition. Hopefully the massage help. I also stopped physical therapy, was waaaay to painful and inflamed me for days. Think my FS (Frozen Shoulder) started last August, 2015. Out of nowhere. Immediately a Diabetic and am now understating that Diabetes are a bit different and scar tissue is apparently more dense. Everyone is different without FS, but this forum is GREAT! Look through some of the old posts, we all complain and support each other. I have learned so much here.

If you can tolerate heat, do try hot baths with epsom salts. Only thing that has kept me sane, that and Norco pain killers and this forum.

Welcome!

• Posted

Found out on the web under the work of a Dr James Cyriax, now long gone, regarding immobilization of the shoulder.  It seeems that if the shoulder joint is not kept fully mobile, especially in mature people and like you even when the initial trauma is another part of the limb you can develop what he calls an immobilization arthritis. If the shoulder is kept stetched out wnen the cast is on the chances of having a stiff and painfull shoulder is less. It seems that if the shoulder reaches a stage in that mobilization causes more pain then don't continue stretching. The good news is that an injection of a hydrocortizone drug even at this stage usually works well. More semi good news, if you do nothing at this stage it is said that it recovers more quickly than a frozen shoulder.
  • Posted

Thanks for the welcome ladies! The first 2 massages I felt a bit better the next day. Had one yesterday and hurting terribly today. She showed me just how tight my should blade is by comparing it to my good shoulder. The one with FS she couldn't even move. I can't get my arm up or even really get it in a comfortable position for my massage. I wish I knew how to tell what stage I'm at. All I know is I have very limited mobility and the worst pain I have ever endured. 
    • Posted

Hi Laura it sounds like you are still in the "freezing " stage which is the worst stage I'm afraid and we have all experienced (and experiencing) different lengths of time in this stage, this is the time when you try EVERY means possible to keep yourself as comfortable as you can. This is also likely to be the time when you turn to us all the most as we are the ones who will fully understand.. With in the "frozen " stage the pain should ease and you should be able to sleep on your affected side again .

Hang in there Laura

• Posted

Cindy, I can hardly wait to be able to sleep on the affected side again!!  I am a side sleeper and only being able to sleep on one side all night (with 2 pillows under my arm to boot) is getting really old.  So I am gathering from what I have been able to read so far in this forum, is that strengthening exercises are probably not something to even consider at this point. Maybe a little stretching and movement. Would that be a pretty accurate assessment? Thanks again!
    • Posted

Boy I sure wish I could sleep in my side, been over 8 months. Look forward to that some day!
    • Posted

Hi Jenn , it will happen , I still toss and turn ALOT , and can't stay on my affected side for too long but yes it is good to be able to experience right side sleeping again.
    • Posted

Laura we are all different, and you are likely to find different advice elsewhere but yes, for myself doing too much with the affected arm just aggravates it, one of the lovely ladies suggested ti chi movements as they are really gentle, I have started to do a few of these each morning to get my shoulder moving ... And they do tend to help; I'm also a side sleeper and not being able to lie on my right side was like torture ; as was the lack of sleep 😩, things have improved greatly...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.