I'm not alone!!! Pityriasis versicolor

Posted , 4 users are following.

Wow I'm amazed to see I'm not the only one in the world with this condition!

I first noticed (or should I say a friend pointed it out) on holiday in America when I was 14 yrs old, the weather was extremely hot and when I looked at my back I had patchy skin colour whichnlooked like I needed a good old scrub to wash off! I was mortified and thought to myself I must wash my back more than normal.

I'm naturally darker skinned (mixed race), after coming back from the holiday I noticed as much as I had scrubbed and scrubbed the patchiness hadn't gone, if anything it had got worse- more noticeable and had spread to my neck arms and chest!!!!!

By this point I was feeling unsure as to why and what had caused this to occur.

I saw many GPs and dermatologists, they had told me it was hyper-pigmentation, sun damage etc, etc, one dermatologist even called in a colleague to check out my skin like they had never seen anything like it before!!!! I felt like a freak show at this point, was given potions and pills that did nothing at all.

I'm now 28 and the condition has not deteoriated at all, I went to the doctors on monday and thought its been a while since I last asked for any help as I had given up. I lifted my top to show her my skin and immediately she gave me the name of the condition straight away! She told me to research this website and I can honestly say I feel so happy! I literally thought I was the only one in the world living with this! Quite clearly I'm not, I have been so interested reading all the other people with the same condition. My GP has given me a prescription of some formula to apply to my skin everyday, I don't know the name of it but am picking it up from pharmacy tomorrow, I even had to wait a few days for them to order it in as the pharmacist had to explain its not something they normally keep in store, making me feel like a freak yet again! I can't wait to use it and hope it makes a difference.

It will be really nice not to have odd looks or answer the questioning of 'what's that?' all the time.

I hope to get married one day and wear a nice dress that I feel confident in and not have to worry about covering up the patchy parts of my body, I would like to not wear body camouflage make up that one doctor previously had explained I could use!!!!

I know I have written my life story so apologies if your bored but I just can't explain enough how happy I am to have found this website.

Good luck to all you fellow sufferers :-)

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Yaya

I just wanted to find out how you're getting on with your cream? I'm currently trying to use natural remedies which work on and off.

Kind regards

Fiona

• Posted

Hi Yaya, I just wanted to let you know that I've had this for over 20 years now and tried all lotions and potions and the anti fungle tablets too but it always comes back.  I've recently been using Extra Virgin Organic Raw Coconut Oil for less than a week and my skin has cleared up - I got it in Sainsburys for £6 - give it a try, hope it works for you too and you can have a beautiful sparkling princess wedding gown and nothing to hide! X 
    • Posted

Hi Jillian, Please see my post below. I know it sounds peculiar with it being shampoo but it really does work. It is something to do with the cause of the condition being A yeast infection and the shampoo helps to get rid of it. Unfortunately this condition can return at various points, but the shampoo will always work and costs less than a fiver.
    • Posted

Hiya, thanks for your reply but the coconut is working great for me, my skin is clear just now but I will keep it in mind x 
  • Posted

Hi Yaya,

I've had this condition for six months now and I've seen a dermatologist and was diagnosed immediately. I have been using a shampoo called self Selsun that you can buy from any pharmacy. I use it once every two days and leave it on for 10 minutes before washing it off. After the first use I Went to bed and woke up with an immediate improvement in both the colour size and appearance of the skin marking. The other issues such as itchiness also subsided immediately. Is this what you have been prescribed?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.