I'm not sure what is wrong with me? do I have a disease? Am I getting anxiety?

Posted , 6 users are following.

HI! I need some help ASAP!! I have never felt like this before and i want to know what's going on? I am a college student and athlete. Lately I have been feeling really weird. Like im going crazy? I almost passed out earlier today getting out of bed and I had to touch the ground before i fell over. which scared the crap out of me cause i am never the kid who gets dizzy. i have ran over 4 miles nonstop for training in 90 degree weather while my teamates passed out and were throwing up. so me getting dizzy is not ok at all. i do not want to drop dead not knowing if there is something serious going on in my head or body!!

lately i think extremely deep about everything. i can over think to the point where i can scare myself. i have been googling my feelings as soon as it happens and it says signs of depression, stress, and anxiety. but that's not it. i think there is more to it than just that. like i need a diagnosis! or maybe it is.... I just want to go back to my normal thought process. i don't want to be scared like this. i feel like i am changing. but in a bad way. it's a scary negative feeling. i feel like im going crazy literally! i notice how odd people are. i question if they think im odd. then i question if they are normal and im the weird one. then thats when it leads into deeper thoughts. sometimes all this negative energy disapears but its starting to come back daily which scares me. I have always been a really positive guy and have lots of kids that look up to me including family. maybe im stressed about just school and basketball. I think about my future and get excited about being successful then later i start to feel super weird and start over thinking again. but i feel like i am changing into a whole new person. i never used to think or feel the way i do. its mental but also physical. i have also had trouble with sleeping since i was like 15 and im 20 years old. I get nervous that people can tell i am changing. or that i am going through something. (WHICH I AM!!)  i am a strong and confident person so to feel this way is a shockwave of fear. i don't know what it is. I think earlier this year when i started to take sleeping pills it damaged my brain and it's permanent. they were non habit nothing strong like xanax although i feel those could help me sleep im just scared to get addicted. Can alcohol cause brain damage this young in college? i don't smoke marajuana because when i tried it a few times it only makes my symptoms worse. i become extremely paranoid and feel crazy. like crazier than i already feel. here is a list of words and prases that come to mind about whats going on scary, memory, my future., am i going crazy? am i going skitzo? is this anxiety? am i changing from cool and popular into a extremely strange person? why me? i don't understand why this is happening, over thinking, is it drugs or alcohol that are stuck in my system permantly causing changes to my brain, thoughts and personality?? how can i go back normal, why do i get dizzy now and i never used to get dizzy? am i having withdrawals from all the junk i used to eat growing up? because i eat healthy? i do not feel healthy.... do i have brain damage? im still in school and passing my classes. i understand this is a lot but it feels amazing to let this all out. someone please help me. if i clean my system out will i be fine? or do i have a serious condition like i assume.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi micah

The feelings of dizziness could well be your suffering from stress and anxiety. This happened to me last year, the dizziness and accompanied draining sensation is so unsettling and it makes you think something is dreadfully wrong. It is very unlikely and i personallh don't think dabbling in a bit of grass and alcohol or sleeping pills is the cause. Depression and anxiety is a dreadful illness and robs you of your health and sanity! There are a number of illnesses that can make you dizzy/faint eg. Ear infection, blood pressure etc. The fact you mention over analysing and feeling paranoid would suggest it's important for you to see your doctor. It's also important that you are absolutely honest and how you are feeling. This way you will get the help you need and get back to enjoying life.

wishing you better

god bless ♥

• Posted

You are certainly suffering multiple anxieties, but surely nothing that your doctor on campus can deal with and maybe a weekly counselling session would help.  Hope you find some help with your condition.  Dont forget many dillusions are created by fatigue or hunger, so eat well and rest well.
  • Posted

You need to go see your doctor. That's always the first step. Probably you just need a week off and go on holiday, but maybe you do need medical attention. Your doctor will be able to help.

What you are going through is not very unusual. People go through stuff like that when they are very stressed or tiered or nto eating properly. I hope you can get to the bottom of it and find help and relief soon, so you can feel safe and OK again.

All the best x

• Posted

Hi micahporter,

Were you feeling like this before your training sessions ? The reason I ask is because you may of suffered sunstroke and dehydration, depending if you have stopped your training, you may still be dehydrated ? Definately get yourself along to a doctor and get yourself checked out, don't make it easy for the doctor to just put everything down to stress or panic attacks, let the doctor figure that out with your symptoms.

Pushing yourself during training especially in heat can trigger panic attacks because the heat stroke or dehydration makes you aware of how unwell you are feeling and that's enough to tip your nervous system over and flip out.

• Posted

Micah,  Chronic stress has powerful negative effects on brain function.  Brain scans have shown that chronic stress causing physical changes to the brain and the way it communicates internally.  It becomes more geared toward "flight or fight" mode of thinking, which is not really useful in an academic environment.

If you're drinking a lot, that would probably contribute to the problem, since alcohol damages brain cells, and depletes crucial vitamins.

It's good that you eat a healthy diet, and don't do any drugs.  Don't forget omega 3 fatty acids. They help with proper brain function.  If you're stressed and working out a lot, your body needs a lot more vitamin C, D3, and B complex as well. 

Don't worry about junk food that you ate growing up.  You can easily recover from that.  I have a friend that only ate apples, and plain spaghetti with butter for a year.  He was a really picky eater.  But he went off the college and did just fine.  

Since you're an athlete, check your blood pressure.  If it's too low, it can cause dizziness.  That happens to me from time to time. It might also be an inner ear infection or any number of other things.  

It's a good thing that you exercise.  That helps with stress.  You might also consider adding in yoga or Tai Chi.

It sounds like you're trying to get this under control early, before it gets out of hand.  That's great.  ​Good luck. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.