I'm not the patient, its my husband , I need to help him

Posted , 5 users are following.

He has had depression since March following a virus, no traumtic life event. He has been on diazapam and citalopram since then. Initally after first breakdown, she seemed to pick, but has gradually got worse. His citalopram has been increased. I know it takes a while to kick in but 8 weeks. He has tears in his eyes for a lot of the day, has no energy and no confidence, its very difficult for me to even get him out of the door. Does anyone out there think he would be better coming of off the citalopram, and asking Dr for something else. He is due to start counciling in a couple of weeks, hoping that will help. Just dont know what to do for him, I'm keeping my chin up at the moment but dont know how long I can keep it up for.  Just someone with similar experience would help me to help him. I cant get him to go on line

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi. narbeth it's horrible but you can only make him feel wanted. I have suffered for 7 years. But for first time I feel wanted. When he pushes you away..say Fk you I'm with you..I honestly believe if my partner had done that in my early years of depression I would been in better place now
    • Posted

I do, tell him I love him all the time. But dont be to hard on you partner.  Its really hard putting life on hold when the person you care for has changed so much. It hard to stay strong.  So dont think you were not wanted, it may just have been the way your parter delt with your condition by distancing themselves. 
  • Posted

I have had depression for nearly 17 years  my anxiety only started in December.

If it was only anxiety I had I would not take AD's as sometimes they just make it worse but depression is another matter I think sticking to doctors orders is the way to go.

It will take a while for them to kick in properly its gets worse before it gets better but if they still dont work get a meds review.

Stay strong both of youcool

• Posted

We are going to Dr regularlly, and I have already broached subject of my husband changing, but like you he has said to wait a while.  I think the thought of it going on and on scares us both. All the comments on this site are helping me at least, which will keep me strong for him
    • Posted

You are not alone this forum is excellent for support

Take careconfused

• Posted

Hello narberth, 

I've suffered with depression and anxiety for quite sometime. I'm coping, or trying to cope, with PTSD at the moment. I have had experience with many different antidepressants over the years. Everyone reacts differently to different antidepressants, so of course my experience is entirely subjective but for what it's worth, I found that citalopram didn't really do much to help with my depression. Over the years I've tried many antidepressants. The one that really did help me was called Venlafaxine. It changed my life. My depression is no where near as bad as it once was.

With some help and advice from some very kind people here I'm beginning to take some positive action with regards to my PTSD and some of the medications I'm prescribed for it.

Ive found there are some very caring and knowledgeable people here. I'm sure you'll get support, advice and relevant information here.

• Posted

Thanks for your support and advice. Think my husband and myslef would find his condition easier to deal with if something had set if off.  Not like you have PTSD, but you sound positive now which helps me to be strong for him. Seeing the man who has always been strong desolve in front of your eyes is hard.  I'v made a not of the Venlafaxine thanks again. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.