i'm taking gabapentin

Posted , 4 users are following.

i'm on a lot of meds now my dr. started me on gabapentin 300 mgs. 3 times a day. now i'm on so many different meds to the point i don't even know if it's working. i'm reading on-line that it's used for a lot of different reasons. i'm so confused because a lot of the symptons that it's used for i have it all. now i just saw that it's additive. please help me understand what's going on.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Gabapentin is typically prescribed for seisures, nerve pain or anxiety. Are you experiencing all three of those? What did you doctor say he was prescribing it for? What other medications are you taking? This medication  attaches to a part of the brain where it depends on the medication to function. If you no longer need to take it, you must taper off very slowly over weeks or months to avoid severe withdrawal or discontinuation symptoms. The doctors say it's not addictive because most people don't have cravings for it as an addicted person would. However, your brain depends on it so you cannot immediately stop taking it. There are side effects being on it for most people, and withdrawal symptoms coming off it, that continue after completely stopping the medication. I wish you the best!!
  • Posted

I am on Gaberpentin, it's used mainly for nerve pain and seizures. I am not aware that this drug is addictive. As Shammah as said you do need to taper off if you don't want to take this anymore. It is a powerful drug and will usually have side effects, at least till your body gets used to it. There will always be side effectscoing off this drug. Do give it a try as it can be very good at releiving nerve pain. Do you know why you have been prescribed it? 

• Posted

What did the doctor prescribe it for? It's tough when your on so many to know what's working. I had that problem and had to lower does of one med at a time to see if my symptoms got worse, if so then I knew it was working. I was on gabapentin and it didn't work for my nerve pain,I was up at 1600 a day and I really felt the side effects. I had to switch to lyrica, which helped a lot, it completely cut out my symptoms. Lyrica has a better absorbency in the body. The draw back is that it has many side effects. I had to stop it as it was causing muscle cramping so severe I couldn't move in the morning.its not addictive in the she way as pain killers are. It increases in your body and when you come off it do it slowly to avoid withdrawal. When I switched to lyrica from gabapentin, my doctor did a direct switch, so she stopped the gabapentin and immediately started me on lyrics equivalent dose. It was hard at first but then most side effects went away. Now that I am off the lyrica, my nerve pain is not as bad as it was when I started the gabapentin so I can use a lower dose. A dose of 900 to 1200 a day shouldn't cause many side effects other than tiredness, and that subsides over time. I didn't gain weight until i went over 1300.hope that helps
  • Posted

I don't care want anyone says. You won't get addicted or withdrawals from gabapentin. I took 800

Mg 3 times a day for a year. Then just went off. No withdrawals. No nothing. Basically it did nothing for me. But me back is titanium Rods and about 30 screws.

• Posted

Some people body's are more sensitive to meds. Technically, maybe most people won't but some will. I am so sensitive to meds, i even had withdrawal from coming off antidepressants, even doing it slow. It just depends on the person, your lucky to have not cause its very unpleasant. Gabapentin also did very little for me, lyrica worked the best but I got a rare slide effect of muscle Ridgway which is very painful so I had to come off of it, now I use gabapentin and keto mine is a foot cream which is much better

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.