I'm terrified I have MS

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi. I am a 24 year old woman. About two weeks ago, I began having strange twitches in my right hand. Just my thumb and index finger. Then it moved to my other hand, again just my thumb and index finger. The symptoms went away and then came back a few days ago. I had some wrist pain and my mom suggested carpal tunnel. I work on a computer all day due to my job. 

I started getting a strange feeling in both hands the other day as well as some vision blurriness in my left eye. I’ve had the vision blurriness before so I didn’t pay much attention to it. Then I began to have the same strange tingly feeling my feet and my legs when I was driving. I am a generally clumsy person but I began paying attention to my clumsiness and maybe I am more clumsy than usual, if that makes sense? 

Now I am having trouble focusing on what is in front of me, I’ve been stumbling over my words and searching for the right one. I have to add, I am horribly addicted to caffeine and I am not on a good sleep schedule. My father passed away two months ago so the stress in my life has been at an all time high. Should I lay off the caffeine for a while or should I worry about MS? I am sorry to be a bother, I am just really scared and I am kind of afraid to go to the doctor. I’ve been reading about what MS does to people later in their lives and my father died with a horrible disability and I really don’t want something like that to happen to me. 

Thank you, any input would be appreciated. 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Abby. Hope you are better. I had same last month and I can understand how do you feel.  I was admitted for 2 days after that, and did brain and cervical MRi which were ok.  Yet there was high rate of inflammation in my body.  Am still wondering if it is MS or panic attacks due to anxiety.  At times i get the blurred vision as well, as if the light intensity in my eye has decreased. Did your dad had MS?  I would suggest that you stop caffeine for some time and see what happens. I just wish it is not MS. Be strong take care
  • Posted

Hello sorry about your loss, you are grieving and stressed and caffeine isn't good for stress and anxiety. I have a medical phobia. however I'm going to say please go to the Dr, I don't know if you're US or Uk but I think you need counselling and your Dr is the first step. Nobody on here can diagnose your symptoms, vitamin B12 can give you symptoms like MS caffeine addiction can make you shake and it's a diuretic. If your drinking it are you also having sweeteners in it? Aspartame can also give you these problems. Reduce the caffeine and please go to the Dr. going won't give you the disease and you may well find when you go you're relieved. Good luck and sending love too, I lost my mum nit long ago and my daughter lost her dad the other week. grief is horrible 💕
  • Posted

Hi Abby I too have been the same as you ... I could be reading about me as you describe your symptoms. My mum has MS and got the last 18 months or more I've been putting off going to the gp mum is convinced i have MS as I have a lot of her systems. After a lot of stress at work recently my symptoms have been worse. I could have ms or it could be stress worrying about it hasn't helped so I bit the bullet visited my gp last week and have been referred to neuro at least I can find out one way or another. I'd suggest you do the same but I totally understand why you havnt been so far. Def cut down on the coffee as that can increase anxiety and palpitations I'm trying de cafe whee I can... all the best Abby.
    • Posted

Did you hear anything back yet for your doctor? 

My symptoms went away and then they returned yesterday so I may finally bite the bullet and visit my Chriopracter. He can refer me to other doctors -- I have to leave my doc -- it has been suggested I could have pinched a bunch of nerves in my back and it's sending weird signals to my brain. 

Anyway I hope you are well. Please let me know what you found out. smile 

• Posted

Hi please go to your GP if it is ms the longer you leave it the worse it could be. I have recently been diagnosed with ms and it ain't nice , I start treatment in 2 weeks . It ain't a life sentence as treatment has come on leaps and bounds and you get loads of support so you won't be alone . If it is ms you have got it could be a lot of things.

Good luck xx

• Posted

Were your symptoms like mine? Can I ask how old you are? 
    • Posted

No my symptoms where different , I was numb from the waist down . I am 41
  • Posted

Try not to panic too much hun. I know it's hard. I had strange tingling and numbness 3 years ago and most recently 2 months ago.

Have you been stressed or anxious about anything apart from this ?

If it is MS then people do not die from it. There are many disease modifying drugs available nowadays and it certainly isn't a death sentence by any means. Do you drink a lot of coffee?

• Posted

Hi. Yes I do drink a lot of coffee. I went off the coffee for two days and it didn't do anything to ease it. Then the symptoms went away for about three weeks and they have returned yesterday. Same exact ones, the tingling, the twitching, etc. There isn't any pain though or facial drooping or vision blurriness. I'm such a hypocondriac -- I was tested for breast cancer last year so I am so afraid that I'm sick with something -- never used to be like that before. 

My job is definitely stressful. I see 150 to 200 people a day in my work and that's a lot to handle. 

• Posted

Wow sounds like me. I had mammogram and ultrasound 3 times on my left breast over the course of 2 years too.

Everybodys ms symptoms are different so it will not help looking at what someone else gets and comparing it I'm afraid. As for someones comment above saying the prolonged you leave it the worse it will be. I was diagnosed in May and my neurologist said as my symptoms are so mild and disappear that dmds are not required and he wouldn't recommend them just yet so I'm just on a massive healthy eating regime and zero meds. To to your doctor's though for your own peace of mind as you sound like me and I'm a big worrier x

• Posted

It my case if it was left it would have been a lot worse . As you said everyone with ms has different symptoms . I was only saying that it would be best to get it checked out

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.