I'm too scared of endoscopy side effects, should I still do it ?

Posted , 18 users are following.

Hello,

I'm new to the forums but I've been reading a lot of discussions about this subject but I can't shake the feeling that something might go wrong during the procedure or after!

I'm a 21 years old female (I live in France) and I've never had this procedure done before but I've been feeling sick for at least 6 months (it all started back in beginning of July after I vomitted violently in the morning because I ate too fast and I was scared for an exam) and I immediately felt my throat was burning and I started having trouble breathing. I've done many tests for my lungs since that day and they all were normal.So I started to think that it might have something to do with the oesophagus and reflux. 

My symptoms are:

-sometimes pain on the right side of the upper chest (associated with a pain in my back but not always)

-difficulty filling my lungs with air as if I had asthma

- reflux (not always acid, sometimes it's just what I eat that makes its way back up)

- hiccups and burps everytime I eat or drink something

-chest tightening after eating and when I wake up in the morning

My doctor sayed it would be better for me if I did the endoscopy so I said I would do it and I also chose the local anesthatic over the general anesthesia because I want to be aware of what happens and also because I would like to be able to resume working right after.

I've done a lot of research and what scares me the most about the endoscopy isn't the procedure itself but rather the side effects that may potentially result from it. I'm sorry if this sounds stupid but I can't help being terrified that these will happen to me:

-allergic reaction to the local anesthetic product 

-heart issues (I'm not sure why this can happen!)

-breathing issues

-I'm also scared of choking with my saliva when my throat will be numbed

-coughing blood in the days after the procedure

-infections 

-throat ache and not being able to swallow normally anymore

-irritation of my oesophagus or even perforation in the worst case scenario

Does anyone know what might cause these potential side effects and who are the people who are the most at risk ? 

Is it common to see appeat some side effects even days or weeks after the procedure ? Does the anesthesia have an effect on the heart (heart rate for example) ? 

Thanks!

0 likes, 117 replies

117 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hiya,

I really wouldn't worry.

First of all you can breathe throughout the procedure and you will not choke on any saliva as there is a nurse by your side with a suction (like at the dentist) and they clear any saliva throughout the procedure

After the procedure I had a slightly scratchy throat but not sore at all, no blood just a lot of saliva.

I only had the throat numbing spray I wasn't sedated as I wanted to do it "mind over matter" my heart wasn't racing I was actually quite calm.

The procedure was over so quick and it really is the only way to get definite results so it depends if you can live with how you are feeling or if you want answers!

I had a treat in mind - something I would buy myself as soon as I got out of there for being brave and it helped! My colleague at work is having one done tomorrow and I have told him the same.

When the tube is in your stomach I felt a slight heart burn feeling but it was uncomfortable, when it was over I remember thinking wow is that it and I was so proud.

I had to wait 1 hour before eating normally again and my eating/drinking has been fine.

If you have any concerns you should speak to the hospital on the day of your appointment, you can always back out of it if you don't feel comfortable but I can assure you they will make you feel supported and answer any questions you have smile

• Posted

Hi lavender

I did the same as you when I got my appointment for endoscopy. I was terrified and, as a natural born gagger, I couldn't imagine a tube going down my throat. To my amazement, it was painless and I cannot remember a thing! I had the sedation and it's nothing like the sedation you would get if having an operation. After the procedure, I was up and ready to go home. (Did get a lift home as slightly groggy) and honestly was in no discomfort whatsoever. I could have kicked myself for all the needless worrying I had done beforehand. Please don't stress..I am a whimp and for me to say there's nothing to worry about...means there's nothing to worry about! , opt for the mild sedation and you will breeze through it!

Take care xx

• Posted

Hi Lorraine even after the sedation didn't u feel nervous going into room knowing what u was having done 🤔 Haven't even got appt through yet and I'm already worrying sad I do want answers but scared that if they put the tube down and I get all panicky that it will get stuck!
  • Posted

Hello

First off, it is totally normal to be a little apprehensive about any procedure. But this procedure is extremely low risk. The main thing that can go wrong is tearing of your oesophagus. They told me this before the procedure and the chances of this are so low (I can't remember what the actual numbers were but it was very low) I was also told that this risk is mainly for elderly people who have much thinner tissue so would be so low for you. If this did happen they take toy straight to theatre to repair it. It's not normal anesthesia they use - it's not like the type for operations. This is also really low risk as you're awake (although not aware). They monitor your heart rate the whole time.

From what you say, it sounds like you are generally pretty anxious. I'm not sure if you've considered how much anxiety could be causing your symptoms, as they could all be explained by anxiety. When we get like this, we often want to seek reassurance which helps reduce our anxiety temporarily but the anxiety returns only to need more reassurance. This can go on and on in a vicious cycle and can leave people feeling so overwhelmed with anxiety. If this does sound like you, maybe have a look at info for Generalised Anxiety Disorder. There's is lots of hello available for this.

Good luck!

• Posted

Both my son and my husband have had them. Husband 2 times. They both had twilite anesthesia so they werent quite out,but also didnt notice much. Neither could have worked after that kind of anesthesia. However they have no bad recalls of anything. Talked to my son a few hours after procedure. I thought he would be hoarse or have a sore throat. His voice was loud and strong and no issues. My husband was fine and doesnt recall any of it.
  • Posted

Local anesthesia is usually novacaine or some derivative.  I wouldn't worry about that.  An allergic reaction isn't likely.

A tear is possible, but not likely.

When you go in, make sure your nose is cleared out.  You need to be able to breathe.

If there is a tear its not likely you would die, they might try to fix it there (under anesthesia) or you'd go to a hospital and have it done.

there will likely be someone there reminding you to breathe.  when you heave, or gag, you can't breathe.  You'll want air, and reflexively you might try to breathe through your mouth.  Don't do that.  Seems easy enough, but no one who was held underwater ever comes to the surface and breathes violently through their nose.  Its instinct to breathe through the mouth if one experiences a gag reflex.

The most painful part for me was the throat tissue that gets pressed up against the cartilage in your throat.  When the tube is moving it doesn't feel smooth and nice.  But when the tube isn't moving its very manageable.  I could feel the scope in me only when it was moving (in and out, not manipulation.)  and when it crossed into the duodenum.  that was painful, like a lot.  but as soon as it made it through, no more pain, instant relief.  i couldn't even feel that it was passed my stomach.

Its not real anesthesia.  Its a numbing agent.  Its not propofol.  I had it done a few weeks ago.  No issues afterward.  I felt a little banged up.  I ate lots of kefir afteerward, I ferment my own.  to help displace any possible pathogens that may have came in with the scope.

I was a wuss though.  I closed my eyes throughout the procedure and the nurse held my hand.  yeah.

They were in there for about 2-2.5 minutes.

• Posted

they will push gas into your stomach.  this made me wretch and gag.  a tip I would advise is to let the air out by tightening yoru stomach muscles a little.  the gas will escape around the scope.  Why do this?  well for me it made me heave and gag over and over.  the expansion was too fast for me.  I found I could let the air out by tensing my stomach, he would just pump more in but it slowed it down and I stopped gagging.  You'll wish you could communicate.  But you can't.  Best not to try.

I told them before going in and I modified the waiver I had to sign, and stated that if I produce any gesture that a reasonable person would interpret to mean I did not want to continue the procedure that the procedure should be stopped immediately and my consent should be considered revoked.  The lady that held my hand, well I get panic attacks when I am immobilized and I told her that I might panic.  If I do it will become clear and I wish for you to relate that I am aborting the procedure.  

Can you chug beverages be swallowing from the back of your throat?  Like using your mouth as a funnel and just pouring drinks into it?  If you try to swallow normally it feels messy and made me want to gag.  But I could "throat swallow" which kinda eased everything.  I don't know how else to explain it other than opening your mouth as wide as possible and trying to swallow.

They will likely only be in there for 5 minutes.  Just keep telling yourself that.  The nurse that held my hand, well, she wouldn't normally have been there.  She saw that I was very apprehensive and offered to accompany me.  That human contact made the procedure less dehumanizing and bearable.  Not sure I would have made it through without that comfort.

• Posted

Thanks for all the answers! I've already delayed the appointment twice since december but this time I have finally decided to go through with it because I really need to know where all this discomfort I'm feeling comes from. I know the risks are low but I'm the kind of person that always thinks it's going to fall on her!

I do have anxiety issues since I was a child and I though that all this could be something caused by stress but I am used to panick attacks and I've never felt these things before so I'm not sure it's caused by that. 

Concerning the procedure itself, I forgot to mention that I always breathe through my mouth due to a nasal deviation and constant congestion due to allergies so do you think it will be an issue for me during the procedure ? I could probably try to breathe through my nose but I'm not sure I would manage to do it for a long time.

After the procedure, can you resume eating and drinking normally even when they take biopsies ? And what about the gas they inflate during the procedure, does it go away on its own with time and how uncomfortable is it ? 

• Posted

Hi

I am getting one in a few weeks and am nervous too. I was hoping to see if you had it done and how it went . Did you have sedation or not?

Robin

• Posted

I know it's been a few days since I posted but I wanted to come back here to say that my endoscopy is scheduled to take place tomorrow morning. I came very close to cancelling it once again out of fear but I decided this couldn't keep going on forever! Plus, this past week my symptoms had become worse and I felt a terrible sensation in my chest right after eating and difficulty breathing so I really need to know what is causing all this.

I was told that I was going to be the very first patient to do it tomorrow. The doctor that is going to do the procedure is used to it because he has been working for decades and he does it every week so it should be fine.

I'm still scared of the sensation of having a numb throat and of not being able to swallow normally but I was told that it would only last 30 minutes to 1 hour so I'm planning on staying at the hospital until the effets of the anesthesia wear off. 

Anyway, if everything goes well I'll try to come back here and tell you how it all went. But for now I'm so stressed I already know I won't be able to sleep tonight! 

• Posted

I understand how you feel. I have a doctors apt wed,and i will admit Im scared. Just know that it is best to find out whats going on. Try to stay calm. It is a very common procedure. Both my husband and son have had it. Please do let us know how it went and what you found out i hope you find out what it is and feel much better very soon.
    • Posted

Well done for deciding to go ahead with the test. It's the only way to get some answers and I think you would've probably regretted it if you canceled again. Just think, by this time tomorrow, it'll all be over!

I was in hospital today for another test but in the same unit as everyone getting their endoscopys. I had to be there all day so got a good view of it all and what happened. So many people were getting the procedure and every one of them leaving with smiles on their faces (especially after they'd had their cup of tea and Sandwich given to them!). The nurses took great care of everyone and no one got to leave until they'd been checked over and were feeling well. I saw one young girl who was still a bit woozy from the sedation and the nurse sat with her and monitored her blood pressure, giving her a drink until about 10minutes later when she was right as rain again. They were so aware of everything. The nurses also explained what had happened in the procedure to everyone and told them about any possible complications and what to do in the very unlikely event that something should happen. All the nurses were so lovely and laid back. It was actually a really chilled out ward.

I am sure you will cope well tomorrow and will end up feeling very relieved and proud of yourself for doing it. Perhaps you could focus on the positive aspects of tomorrow to take away some of the focus of the potential negatives?

Let us know how you get on ☺

• Posted

Hi Lavender Blue

I am right up there with you in how you feel about the procedure. I have done the exact same cancelled the procedure 2 x but only for reasons of conflict with days they gave me. But I felt relieved.... I had been ill with chronic cough and nausea for 14 months and no other test was able to find out what was causing the issue. I just came back from a great calming convention this past weekend. It assured me that I need to have results for my own closure. I am not that nauseated these days unless I eat poorly.

But the whole thought of the sedation scares me too and side effects... Please Please come back on and post how it went .... I bet you will say you don't know why you worried so much as I know I will say the same. I was going to do not get sedated but thought it will be very uncomfortable and I want the GI to see and explore every aspect.... he told me if I panic and he has to remove it I would have to rebooksad

Robin

• Posted

bettybetter

I am extremely grateful for your reply to lavender blue. I too feel her anxiety going through the same getting a scope in 2 weeks. Decided not to be a hero and get sedated so the dr can do his job with ease and view everything with ease?

I am eager to hear how lavender blue felt after her procedure..... I hope they post.

But again I felt calmer after reading your post 😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊

• Posted

I think getting sedated makes it a lot easier for everyone and honestly everyone who I've seen who has been sedated looked SO chilled and happy! It was like a room full of people who'd all had 6 beers, which was an odd sight on a Monday morning 😁 but it was amazing how quickly they all came round and started to seem totally normal and with it.
    • Posted

Don't worry robin I'm sure we'll both be fine and we'll be very proud that we finally got over it! I just can't wait to come back home tomorrow after the procedure! 

I've chosen to go with only local anesthesia even though I was told that it was very uncomfortable because I wanted to be able to work afterwards and also because I don't like the thought of being put to sleep like that and not remembering a thing. I hope I have made the right decision otherwise I'll just have to do it with the general anesthesia.

Now that I think about it, I'm not sure how I'm going to react once the endoscope will be in my stomach and I hope I won't move and prevent the doctor from continuing the procedure. I read everywhere that there are nurses holding you so you don't move too much so it should be fine.

• Posted

Thank you so much for these kind words! It helps a lot reading positive comments because I've read a lot of comments from people who sayed they had a terrible experience with this procedure like having a sore throat for weeks and not being able to eat normally anymore. But I guess it only happens rarely. 
    • Posted

I was sedated,they called it twilite sedation,you are aware of things just enough to follow what they tell you to do. Mine was for a colonoscopy and once i had the sedation i felt so wonderfully relaxed. Id have to have sedation.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.