I make myself think thoughts I don't want :( and don't sleep!!

Posted , 5 users are following.

never thought I would need to seek help off others who are in the same boat but I do..... I'm scared and worried all the time about thoughts I really don't want to think!!! Now I tell myself I can't sleep.... And I don't!!! Sometimes NO sleep all night!! I lie there thinking scary thoughts and sweating dreading the next day of work!! I have my own business and 2 young children and just want to live my normal happy life that I used to have!!! I'm a mess and feel I've lost the plot and will never get back to normal! It depresses me but refuse to take meds! I used to take sertraline and zopiclone but didn't think they helped!! I've just purchased the effortless sleep method by sasha Stephens so fingers crossed it helps!! Just knowing people experience the same actually helps sad( hate feeling so tired and anxious every day sad(

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

hi kary.  i'm sooooooo sry to hear of your insomnia etc.  it ca be a living hell. pls do keep us posted as to how the new gadget helps u or not.

with thanks

C

• Posted

Hello Karyn. I had the similar problem when I was young. My parrents were going thru an ugly divorce. On the outside it didn't effect me at all but when i tried to go to sleep, i felt extreme anxiety and panic attacks. It would take hours for me to finaly fall asleep and second day i would be tiered and dredding the next night. Wierdly enough i could sleep just fine during the day. My parrents (both doctors) would not allow me to take sleeping pills (while my mother was on horse tranquilizers) because it was "unnatural" and it would "screw up my sleeping regime". Anyway i doubt they would have helped. This was going on for over a year and eventualy the panic attacks became milder less frequent. 

Anyway in hindsight best thing for me would have been to go to psychologist so he could help me identify and deal with the root of the problem. I didn't do that so the problem had just been repressed and not dealt with in healthy way. 

Also I have adopted a habit of meditating 10 minutes before i go to bed and that made me more stable and less voulnerable stress related problems

To sum it up i would recommand you to see (licenced) profesional who knows where these problems come from and how to deal with the cause and don't rely on pills to cary you thru the worst till the problem eventualy dissappears.

P.S. this too shall pass

• Posted

Thanks Martin I will see about talking to a psychologist local to me!! I don't take any meds anymore I'm going to do this without them! Thanks very much !!
  • Posted

Trust me...I have more problems than you can imagine and I won't go into them. I suffered the same way you did for over a year....and up every 1.5 hours if I did sleep.

I was prescribed all kinds of sleep meds...that didn't even work.

The pharmacist suggested over the counter Melatonin....I laughed and said REALLY? That stuff works?  I said I doubt it....I said sleep medicine doesnt work!

She assured me, I didn't have refills on my sleep med and to try it.  I bought the 10mg.....Melatonin...and honestly...on my worst day...fight with kids or bad news on my law case....if I take the Melatonin 45 minutes before sleep....I get really relaxed and none of those thoughts are keeping me awake...I doze off pretty easily...and I wake up refreshed!  I'm sleeping 5 hours straight vs. getting up every 1.5 hours.

I love the stuff...give it a try.

• Posted

Hi thanks for your comment ... I found out this is only available I prescription here so I would have to go back to the doctor and I really don't want to start relying on prescription meds!! Is there anything I can get over the counter that you know of???x
  • Posted

Its odd to me that this is a prescription in the UK...in the US I could send a child in to buy this Melatonin....doesn't even have the safety lock cap on top either.....Its not a controlled substance....its not really a "drug". 

I was actually told by my Dr. it is the healthiest alternative to "prescription" medication.  It should not be a prescription..that blows my mind.

• Posted

I know annoys me so much!!! I travel to the U.S. Quite often I'll definitely pick some up next time thanks so much I'll keep you posted xx
  • Posted

Dont get ARRESTED in the UK airport with them OH BOY.

• Posted

Oh right okay that's that idea out the window haha
  • Posted

I was told by someone else that lives in the UK that it is not illegal for you to posses small quantities....and you would only be illegal if you were bringing back large amounts with the intent to distribute.

Is there anyone you can ask about this in law enforcement or your Dr?

Maybe it is ok to bring back 2 bottles or even order on line.  No loss asking.

• Posted

Hello karyn. For a long time I suffered from the same problems, overthinking things before bed and freaking out. I used to scare myself so much thinking about these things that I would end up trembling and sweating and shivering from fear. If thinking about something makes you afraid so much you cant sleep, its probably a phobia. I learned and got over my phobia over time but its not easy to do. But, the best thing I learned besides getting over it is to force yourself to think of something else. Think about something your kids did that day or anything really and focus on it and keep thinking about it, think about how you reacted to it and how you should have reacted and just keep your mind busy. At first scary thoughts will be in your head still but eventually they will fade as you shuft your focus. Another thing is, learn to get over the fears you have. At night, if youre laying down and afraid someone is in your closet, force yourself to get up and check and realize nothing is there, ans that youre fine. Just an example. Just remind yourself that fear of expectation causes you so much more stress than what happens, because nothing will happen. You have to realize youre fine. I have GAD (excessive, obsessive worriedness) and maybe you do too. It causes you to over think and overstress anything to the point of driving you insane. Either way, you just have to tell yourself things are fine, face your fears, take deep long breaths and use breathing techniques to calm yourself. Eventually youll be fine, trust me, I got over it too. It's all going to be alright(:

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.