i need help on how to clear hsp

Posted , 6 users are following.

hello, im a 17 year old girl and i was diagnosed with hsp over two months ago. i was always bothered with bad kidneys and kidney infections almost 4 times in one month, i got put on long term antibiotics so many times but my body became immune to them so i was taken off them, this did have a big negative affect on my attendance at school and the quality of my work but i have always tried my best and got the best grades that i possibly could due to the constant infections and being unwell, 6th year started and i felt posiitve and hoped that no infections would come back and i was doin fantastic and had a good chance of looking at going to university at the end of it. In october i came home from my part time job and i found a rash on my legs, my mum and dad panicked and took me to hospital where i was admitted for further tests,  after the results came back they informed me it was hsp, prior to this day i had been feeling unwell but none of the hsp symptoms, i got discharged a few days later as i had no symptoms other but the purpuric rash. Days later  i had all the symptoms which i went back to my doctors where i underwent more tests and they had found out that i my hsp was still active so gave a full 10 day of antibiotics and told me to BED REST this had been a good 3 weeks off school and i was extremely concerened at the amount of work i had missed, i hadnt done anything for a few days so attended school where my joints had got so bad i was unable to walk and had to be carried into the car then home to my bed, i was giving crutches and because i lost all ability to walk due to the pain. back to the doctors i went and was told to bed rest so i did, he said he would see me back the friday as he took more tests that day, i went back that friday and he told me bloods were all clear and the hsp is not active, amazing news so back to school i went where i collapsed and went onconcious and one of the scariest moments of my life, back to the doctors i went but i saw a different doctor and he said i should of never of been back to school as the bloods were actually insufficient, more blood tests and i was sent to the renal clinic and for multiple kidney scans and more tests ive been prescribed with long term antibiotics again and different ones each month so i dont get immune like last time, its been two month ive been off school and my symptoms are all the same if not a whole lot worse its not going and ive now turned anameic due to the amount of blood the doctors and nurses have drawn from me, two nights ago i was peeing nothing but blood, full on blood not urine and blood just blood it was sooo scary but i didnt wanna tell my mum as i have a vacation to new york tomorrow and im trying so so hard to make it. hsp has ruined my life the last two months, my career etc and its scaring me the fact its not shfifting at times i know i should be rushed into hospital but im so scared of not getting better i try fight it off myself. i know university is not an option after being off school for so long but its really out of my control, i need some positive advice and how to help clear hsp and its horrendous symptoms, i also understand that theres so much horrific diseases out there not in comparison to hsp and im so lucky not to have them but but im finding this very difficult, thanks for reading and replies are so grateful, positive ones please.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Dear Beth, I had hsp when I was 15. I lost one full semester of highschool as I had all the regular symptoms plus a stomach surgery due to some complications. I staid 3 months in hospital. Fortunate not kidney issues. I know that it sounds strange, but I think that school, career, etc are not important issues in such a situation as yours as the disease is such a terrible one...Try to focus on bed rest, try to eliminate all the food that is full of chemicals, synthetic cosmetics as no one knows what is the trigger of this hsp...they told me I had it because a flu and faringitis...In my case it was once in a life time. I am now 34, I have a phd, a career and a daughter...so you can focus later on other issues. Doctors say it is a childhood disease so it won t come again..but you never know. I had no side effects but I know that you can encounter kidney, hart damage. So it is important to treat it with maximum attention. Try also to find a very good doctor, who knows very well how to deal with it. Is is not a common disease so many didn't have one single patient in their entire career...I wish you to get better and be positive as it will finally end. Sorry for my standard of english. I am romanian native.

• Posted

Did you have an infection or vaccine prior to the rash? It is usually triggered by something. Look up my posts on this for tips to manage the symptoms. PM me if you would like more info.
  • Posted

Hi Both, so sorry you have HSP. My daughter has it. There is no light at the end of the tunnel. My daughter had 17% attendance last year and most of Sept - December this year '16 she has missed. They have now managed to kill her kedneys as her HSP consultant at the top kiddies hospital in London was sure her kidneys were inflamed and prescribed microphenalate instead of the ACE drugs to protect them from scarring. My daughter has been prescribed loads of Vitamins and minerals and hormone drugs to boost haemoglobin levels but within hours she is either vomiting or very unwell. She will need dialysis soon and new kidney due to his incompetence and lack of care! Got given a new team of cretins who are great with kidneys, just useless with understanding HSP. School work is important to keep your mind from going to mush and we have a tutor that helps as most of the time it's only the body that has the problem not the mind. My daughter has missed two fantastic school trips but at least she hasn't ruined her friends trips as if you go on a trip and you cant cope, who is going to miss their trip by looking after you?. You should speak to your parents as they will be very upset if you cause yourself more injury's by not looking after yourself. Its bad enough when we do no the problems, but i would be mortified if my daughter didn't confide in me for help, support, advice and encouragement. Good luck

• Posted

HSP is supposed to be a self-limiting immune disorder. Dont be scared. It will get better with time. Not sure why you are on antibiotics for so long, unless there is some bacterial infection that has been diagnosed as the cause of HSP ? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.