I need help with possible "Rebound Headache" symtoms

Posted , 2 users are following.

I was advised by a ER doctor to take Aleve for a jaw injury that left me in serious pain. After taking 2 pills a day for a little over a month ( again was recommended to me by the doctor ) I started developing bad headaches, I started getting very agitated and nervous for no reason as well. After being unable to get though to the doctor, I just had enough and stopped taking the pills. Its been abit over 2 weeks now and I still have the headaches, sometimes the headaches are more severe then others.

After going online and researching the symtoms I have I found I may have something callled "Rebound Headaches" which is aquired through the over use of certian over the counter medication. My question is this...... How long do these rebound headaches last and should I take care of this on my own or should I go and seek help from a doctor.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

If it's just otc meds you're rebounding from you can do it yourself. My neurologist thought I was having rebound headaches but I wasn't. The process is that you go off the medication. All medication. Your headaches may get worse at first but they should slowly start to decrease in pain and be less frequent. The process for how long is different for everyone. Since you were only on it for a month or so I wouldn't think it would take too long. Usually a week or so.

• Posted

Thank you allot for your response. I've been off it now for alittle over 2 weeks and I'm still effected by it. Some days I'll feel little to nothing but others it will flare up sometimes wrose then it was before.

• Posted

I do want to mention that I never had problems with headaches before I took the Aleve. Maybe my body is just taking it abit harder then most ?
    • Posted

Definitely could be. I would give it more time. If some days it's better that's a good sign.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.