I need more information about Dupuytren's Contracture

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone! My name is Stephanie, I am a health educator currently conducting a research project on Dupuytren’s Contracture. I would love to get a better understanding of what it is like to live with DC and how it affects your daily life. What kind of limitations, if any, do you experience? What type of emotions, if any, do you experience regarding the appearance of your hand(s)? Where do look for information and what type of information are you looking for? How were you diagnosed? What was the process like? What type of conversations do you have with your doctor? Have you heard of the new drug Collagenase that is currently in trials?

Any information you can provide about your experience with DC is greatly appreciated. Thank you so much for your time!

Stephanie

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I see your post is over a year old - do you still want information?
  • Posted

Hi I had the drug youndescribe straighten out three fingers that were slammed tighter than a drum to my fist. Xiaflex is a injection that is done in the fingers. Wait a week then return to office the doc freeze spree dmy hand for pain to manuioulate my fingers open and straight, it took two week after the injections then a brace for fingers and PT. I have full ROM and can wear gloves again and open doors . 

One thing never do surgery it will it will cause the collagen to grow more and cause more damage to fingers. See Dupuytrens contracture society online for more info.

Prace & Healing. 

• Posted

Glucosamine also may build up collagen. My surgeon was amazed at the difference in 3 months when I stopped taking Glucosamine (for joints) and when he went to operate the lumps were much smaller and softer in the hand although the little finger was still bent. He removed lumps in hand and also the first section of the finger on to which he put a skin graft. This has been successful for8 years and fine for piano playing.although the next finger is now coming in.

itis my understanding that Glucosamine does not CAUSE  Dupuytrens but can make it worse. In my case it is likely to be linked to some Viking genetics.

• Posted

I have it for many years. Dupuytrens society online has a great forum and conferences every year on latest treatments. Also I used Xiaflex a injection to straighten out my fingers. Wore a brace on my hand and one called a fixxglove. PT and exercises to strengthen my hand.Now I have full use of my hand .Also,there are treatments for nodes on palm cords. See a doc that specializes in Dupuytrens.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.