I need to interview someone diagnosed with CKD

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm a medical student concentrating in nephrology. I need to ask someone a few questions about their experience with ckd and the treatments they've received.

If you would be willing or able to help me with my research I would be very appreciative. Everything will be private and anonymous and you don't have to answer anything you don't want to. Questions will be very general and not probing at all into your personal life.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Where are you studying brad? I wouldn't mind coming in to see you but giving personal information over the internet is a no no for me. I was recently in hospital and some students came round. Could you not go to the renal department and ask there?

• Posted

I'm in albany NY. I went to a nephrologists office and they wouldn't let me see patients.

If you're not comfortable answering online I understand but in person may not be possible.

The tasks I have intended on trying to ask about include,

Determine the person's level of awareness of CKD and its complications. How has the person dealt with the underlying disease contributing to CKD?

How has CKD affected his/her life? Are other family members at risk? What types of medical professionals have been helpful in dealing with his/her disease?

• Posted

I am recently diagnosed. Depending on what you need. I'm in kidney failure of my right kidney. The process is still ongoing and surgery has been recommended by the urologist, but still needs evaluation by the surgeon.

• Posted

How habe you dealt with the underlying disease contributing to CKD?

How has CKD affected your life? Are other family members at risk?

What types of medical professionals have been helpful in dealing with your disease?

• Posted

I have dealt with it by having many UTI's and meds. I was born with a defect in my kidneys and so I have always had issues. You simply carry on and praise the Lord for each day.

It has affected my life with pain, infections, medical bills, and resistance to antibiotics. But, since it was a singular anomaly, the likelihood of passing it along is slim. However, not impossible.

Since this has an issue since childhood, and the physicians at that time did not consider the ramifications in the future, no one has been really helpful until now. The kidney has only been causing severe pain for the past few years and was just diagnosed with failure. It is only at 19%. But, the severe scarring, current crippling pain (her opinion that the kidney itself is infected), and recurrent development of phosphate stones has led the urologist to the decision it would be best to remove it. It will only continue to cause pain and problems. Now, I need to visit the surgeon, in 2 days, to make the definitive decision.

• Posted

Thought I would give you an update.

Surgeon says removal is definite. The kidney was probably dysfunctional at birth, but docs never bothered to address the issue in later life. The kidney is not going to get better. My good kidney is actually a duplicate kidney with only one working system. It's healthy for the moment. However, I have to see a liver doc about non alcoholic cirrhosis before he will schedule the procedure. I'm a little miffed that docs in the US never bothered to address the issue of function, even though they could see the issue with the kidneys. They simply assumed it was doing its job.

• Posted

I'm happy to help. You don't say what country your in as I'm sure you'll need experiences from those in the same country as results/treatments do seem to vary. I'm in the Uk and happy to help if necessary.

• Posted

Sorry, just seen your post saying your in the USA, so my experiences won't be of any help as the Nhs is very different from medical care there.

• Posted

Hello brad,

I would be happy to help.

Lyn

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.