I now think it is costochondritis

Posted , 4 users are following.

HI All, for many months I been suffering unexplained pain in chest and ribs area. Have posted on all the GERD, Heart forums but never really got to bottom of it. Various ECG's, X Ray's, Blood tests all negative, awaiting results of heart scan but as it have been over 8 days with no results, cannot be anything too bad. I have complained numerous times to GP about pain in sternum area, between breasts and rib cage underneath. I have arthritis in neck and was told it could be that. Why I believe it is costo is I have been decorating and I get to do the sh**** bits, the glossing and edging around ceilings and for the past 2 days whilst doing this the pain is incredible, it feels like a wide belt is being pulled around my chest. The skin across my breasts is so painful to touch, the ribs underneath are burning, the skin hot. My left armpit is really sore, I am left handed, last night in bed all down the side of my chest the side ribs were agony to sleep on and this morning whilst showering the hot water spraying onto my chest was agony. This started earlier this year when I was decorating again, (have only just made the connection) The only thing that make me not 100% sure is that the pain sometimes extends to top of stomach area where ribs part (if you know what I mean) and I sometimes get a stabbing palpitation like feeling and feel like I need to cough as if I have a chest infection. Apart from the decorating the other really bad time was following tonsilitis and chest infection and the Nurse did mention costo on one occasion but never treated is seriously. Does this sound like anything you have had? Just thought, I also get it when driving or sitting as a passenger when I move.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi yes I can identify with all the symptoms you have said, my doctor calls it muscular skelitol pain. I have been on amytryptaline for a month now and the symptoms are less painful, I had to give up work and I am not sure whether the rest or the tablets are helping. I am also on warfarin the ryvoextraban which may also contribute to the bone pain.
    • Posted

Hi Dee, that was a quick reply. Glad that you have same symptoms if you know what I mean as it gives me hope that it is nothing too sinister, ie heart problems. At last I think I am getting somewhere with what may be wrong. I work in an office part time and have typed for nearly 40 years hence the arthritis in my neck. I was told after the birth of my son 16 years ago that I went into shock following the c section and this caused me to have fybromyalgia, not sure whether I have, but GP said aches and pains down to this, so I suppose that all these kind of things are interlinked. I have started taking ibuprofen and paracetamol every few hours and the pain is not so intense. Hope you continue to feel better.
  • Posted

I moved 26 storage boxes inMay and had just the same symptoms.  Told the fact I could not wear a bra is more confirmation!  Yes, had heart tests, told I could have COPD the whole deal.  You need Advil,rest and ice for more than15 mins ate time. Saw a osteopath who was expensive. It helped ribs.you must sleep on your back.  Hard but important.  If u Re on yr side,arms over yr ribs it is going to hurt, plus lower pain...found a hiatus hernia from all the lifting strain plus coughing. Also helped slide back you osteopTh.  Maytake While to heal. Try gentle mo events and no lifting.
    • Posted

Hi, just an update. Recent heart scan clear so not heart related, but as you said with rest and OTC pills so much better. I really do think it is costo as anytime I do anything different even carrying shopping the next day it is sore. At least I am now happy it is not anything sinister. Take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.