I QUIT Benzo's Successfully and YOU CAN TOO!

Posted , 5 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity.

I'll get straight to the point. I took 3mg xanax (1mg 3x daily) for over 10 years. In the beginning I read stories online about how benzo's ruined people's lives. How people got hooked after just a few months, but I thought "im way too tough for that". A couple months in I forgot to take my dose. I didn't even feel anxious. Didn't know I forgot it. Just went about my day as usual. I went to bed and just as I was about to sleep... Bam. I'm sure I don't have to describe everything about a panic attack, but that's when the doctors made me feel like I NEEDED them. Fast forward 8 years, my life is nothing like it was. I couldn't hold down a decent job. In fact, I went 3 years without working AT ALL. So when I say it ruined my life, I mean it. Everyone would remind me of how I was in the past. The difference was like night and day. Obviously I had a vague recollection because my memory at this point is shot. I decided I wanted to go back being the old me.

Here's how I did it.

First off, I refused to look up anything negative about withdrawals or how hard it was or anything even remotely close. Only google success stories. Period!

I told my family and close friends I was going to quit and to bare with me for a while because I knew I was going to be weird for a little bit.

I started tapering. I tapered down 1/2 milligram every 2 weeks. Some say that was too much, too fast, but I figured the quicker I got it over with, the quicker I'd be back to normal.

I'll be honest... It wasn't very easy. BUT it wasn't as bad as you'd think. Of course I felt the anxiety, but I felt like I did right before I would take my dose while I was on them. I was used to the feeling. I just toughed it out.

I avoided doing anything that would increase my anxiety for the first couple months. Pretty much stayed home all day. I would leave to get food and necessities daily. As time progressed, I went out more and more.

At about 2 months benzo free I started to feel like I was coming back. I was still a little off, but I could see the light at the end of the tunnel. I started looking for a job and going out with friends more often and bringing women home and felt perfectly fine to do whatever I pleased, but like I said earlier I felt just a little off. I started to sleep 8 hours all the way through without any sleep aids.

At about 4 months in, i was ready for the world. Like very ready. I got a job in retail. Dealing with customers face to face. Forcing me to have conversations. I didn't want to do this, but I knew it would help me. It DID.

6 months in I WAS BACK. I FELT GREAT! It was as if I never had an anxiety issue to begin with. Much happier! Always smiling and laughing. I got my witty personality back. Everything was perfect.

Here I am 1.5 years after being 100 percent benzo free and I'm doing amazing! I had to find a forum so I could share my success story. YOU CAN DO IT. Don't let these doctors trick you into thinking that it's way too hard. With just a few months of patience you'll be back to normal. I promise you.

If you have any questions I'm here. I will give you my phone number if need be. If I did it, you can too.

YOU WILL GET YOUR LIFE BACK.

YOU WILL BE SUCCESSFUL.

YOU WILL FEEL AMAZING.

YOU CAN DO IT.

5 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Benzo bozo

I am also benzo free almost 30 months and yes life does get better.

But for some it takes longer to feel better.

You just after remember that everyone is different so there will never ever

be two people the same.

One day at a time is my motto.

But never ever give up.smile

• Posted

Excellent post & I'd be interested to know more about this aspect 'I started to sleep 8 hours all the way through without any sleep aids.' Strictly not for illicit purchasing, merely to know what you meant/went through both originally & during this phase. 
  • Posted

Hello,

I am pleased it has all gone so well for you.    

People take the drug for different reasons, at different strengths and for differing lengths of time,  along with taking other medications at the same time.   It makes for a different outlook for each person.   I hope you are able to help many people and that they will feel as good as you do.   

Please don't judge those who don't make it as easily as you have.

Regards

Jessie x

• Posted

I would never judge anyone for not having an easy time with it because I know that it's not easy. I just want to give people a positive post. I stayed away from the negative and that's what helped me get through it. I looked for posts just like the one I put on here for motivation.

YOU CAN DO IT.

• Posted

Hi I am Cheryl 25 years on Ativan and no help. I started Prozac today to help but I can't handle it either. I was poisoned by carbon monoxide 9 years ago and so I have chemical sensitivity. This drug Ativan my mother put me on when she was dying it has destroyed my life

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.