I quit drinking for 6 months

Posted , 9 users are following.

now right back at it. Finding it much harder to stop this time.

Any ideas?

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I did the same 5 years ago...stopped drinking for 4 months and had ONE drink and carried on...finally had to stop New Years Eve or rather next day....yes, too drunk again.....what to say?? do try to stop completely although it will no be easy...keep trying and all the best from Robin
  • Posted

Sorry sad but I haven't achieved anything like your success.  I have tapered and gone from around 280 units a month to around 115/20  .

Probably not much help, but alcohol free days?  These help me more than trying to limit to one or two drinks.  Also just one bottle of wine when I do drink....

Good luck Sue smile

• Posted

Are you UK or US based?
  • Posted

Hi, sorry to hear this 😔 same has happened to me about half a dozen of times in the past. I remember convincing myself each time at the start that I was in control of the odd drink now and again.... but before I knew it I would be drinking all day everyday again. It's taken a long time for me to realize and admit to myself that I cannot control my alcohol consumption at all and I seriously cannot pick up one drink anymore. It's been extremely tough at times, especially with temptation everywhere you go nowadays... shops, supermarkets, even most coffee shops around me are licenced now!

What helped me most this time around I think was keeping occupied in safe environments. I started by joining a gym for the first time in my life and going twice a week, also I started at a yoga class once a week (although very nervous and shy normally) and I actually really enjoyed meeting new women. My mind feels rewarded now after I've done a bit of exercise. I also took up old hobbies and interests again like reading and go to an arts and crafts group every week.... even knitting I found great as I just happily sit doing it and watching tv now.

Don't get me wrong some days I don't feel like doing it but I always do feel better when I have made the effort.

Don't be too hard on yourself, this happens to many other people I have met with drinking problems. You have quit drinking for 6 months before which is a massive achievement so you know you have it in yourself to do it again. 👍

Good luck,

Sarah xx

• Posted

I get it....totally.

Have you tried Campral?  It really helps me with cravings and the thoughts I have about drinking...WHEN I take it correctly.

That is really my only idea....because I have struggled too.....You are not alone SUE...just try your best not to drink....I'm hoping that as time goes by the desire will get less.

I had some sober time too...which I know the desire was completely lifted at that time..because I have never felt that way again.....I wish to have that feeling back too....but I don't think we will get that feeling by picking up another drink...it only gets worse.

So keep posting and try not to drink for as long as possible.

• Posted

You can’t recover from addiction by simply stopping it’s usage. You can recover by creating a new life where your decision will be not to use it. To change life first of all you should learn to relax and be honest. Person’s addiction give him opportunity to change life. Recovery from addiction requires complete honesty. During this time period family support is must.You should explore out the best treatment options which involves changing behaviors.During the rebuild period craving can be intense but you will have to support the continued recovery by avoiding people, places and situations that trigger your urge to use and step away from friends who use it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.