I still have a UTI after finishing a course of antibiotics? Why didn't drug kill it all off?

Posted , 50 users are following.

I'm 25 and not sexually active. After having a burning discomfort down there and lower back pains that my doctors were ignoring for weeks to months they finally did a test and discovered I had a UTI. I was put in Macrobid/ nitrofutonin 100mg 1 pill twice a day for 5 days. I took the medicine EXACTLY as prescribed. I was drinking both cranberry juice and water to flush it out completely. I did notice an immediate difference in the pain when I was taking the antibiotics. However, by the 4th day of treatment I noticed My infection stopped responding to the antibiotics. So I just assumed maybe it's residual burning and irritation from having a UTI for awhile. Plus I thought once I finish the course maybe it needed time to kick in so waited a few weeks to see if there would be difference.

So about 3-4 weeks later I decided to go back to the doctor to have my urine retested as the burning would come and go and was still causing me slight discomfort. My results came back today that I still have a UTI. Apparently it's the SAME bacteria from the first time. My lab culture says its "1,000-9,000 cocci gram positive isolated". I'm glad he bacteria hasn't grown back to the 10,000-50,000 amount I was seeing on my culture before after so many weeks. Why didn't the antibiotics kill off ALL of the bacteria? What do I do now? I know for a fact it's not a reinfection it's the SAME UTI that didn't fully clear up. I was still experiencing symptoms after i finished the course. Please help!

1 like, 114 replies

114 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Almost always antibiotics should be taken for 10 days, for example, macrobid. Go back to doctor to see what he can do for you.
    • Posted

Yeah I'm starting to think that perhaps these doctors put on a too little course of antibiotics. I have always heard UTI can be difficult to get rid of .i never thought it would happen to me. I will talk to my doctor in the morning. Her office is closed now. Hopefully we can come to some kid of resolution of this problem soon.

• Posted

Female urologists seem to be more knowledgeable in treating uti's, I found this to be true with my issues.

• Posted

Has anyone ever tried a cephalosporin drug called cefdinir? My regular doctor is on vacation and the one covering says it's great for the tough infections that don't seem to want to go away. I told him I was afraid of the side effects, after looking it up, and he said he had never had anyone complain? Going to have to do something soon...

• Posted

On 8/2016 i had a surgery to remove a tumor (not cancer) near my right kidney and they also remove my kidney. I had a catheter for 3-4 days.

1-2 months after I notice I have a strong smell in my urine so I went to doctor and he prescribe me antibiotic (no remember witch one).

One month pass and I had blood in Urine so I went to ER and they send me more antiobiotics, I still had a weir sensation went back to doctor they did the strap test and urine did not show

any bacteria but I ask them to give me

something else cause I was not feeling

okey so she prescribe me Fluconazole

for fungus 🙄

When to a gynecologist they found bacteria and I was prescribe Bactrin I was recommended to visit the urologist after 2 weeks ones again, culture come

positive they prescribed macrobit, on my followup 2/27/07 doctor did strap urine test and said I have some blood then he did Urine culture - catheterized specimen And he prescribed me one month of nitrofurantoin and I had all the

side effects so after2 days I called urologist and he said that culture come negative so I can stop taking them, so I did.

This weir sensation never goes away

And today my Urine have a strong smell

I know I have Uti still,

Tuesday I have a bladder and kidney sonogram.

I have only one kidney and this is making me crazy.

• Posted

Hiya I’m only 13 and I have the same thing as this 

I have been having antibiotics for 3 days and I was told it would go after 2 days but the pain is just getting worse so I need to go back to the doctors for a second check . I have read about it all and it could now be a kidney infection which can lead to be in hospital for a few days whilst they run a few tests hopefully this doesn’t happen 

• Edited

You may need a different antibiotic.  I, too, was on the nitrofutonin, and it didn't get rid of it.  The dr. prescribed Amoxicil which took care of it.  In the past, I have also been prescribed Cipro which would knock it out fast.  The last infection i had which was about 2 months ago, was really hard to get over.  I ended up having an ultrasound/ cystoscopy which were normal.  The symptoms remained yet no infection.  My urologist seems to believe I may have had an allergic reaction to the lubricant used f/ my pap smear.  I am just now beginning to feel better.

• Posted

I'm thinking about asking for Cipro. I've heard great things about it; however, I also heard that it comes with a terrible side effect that I heard the FDA is telling doctors not to perscribe patients that drug anymore because of it. Something about tendinitis I think... I emailed my doctor tonight about my concerns and the fact the last antibiotic stopped working halfway through.

• Posted

Also, I forgot to mention I am allergic to pencillin. I am allergic to a lot of antibiotics it seems so that also makes treatment choices limited and hard for me. They did do an antibiotic susceptible test and a weird class of drugs came up for my UTI.
    • Posted

My goodness, bless your heart!  My urologist gave me Cipro.  I understand about drugs affecting some and not others.  I would keep going back to the dr. to find out what can be done to relieve your discomfort.
    • Posted

I would ask for another cycle of Macrobid...NOT Cipro.  The Cipro family is notorious for having side effects such as bloody or black, tarry stools,

burning, crawling, itching, numbness, prickling, "pins and needles", or tingling feelings, changes in skin color, changes in urination, chest pain or discomfort, chest tightness or heaviness, chills or fever, clumsiness or unsteadiness, confusion, continuing ringing or buzzing or other unexplained noise in the ears, coughing or spitting up blood, dizziness, faintness, or lightheadedness when getting up suddenly from a lying or sitting position, fast, irregular, pounding, or racing heartbeat or pulse, headache, severe and throbbing,hearing loss, hives or welts, joint stiffness, large, hive-like swelling on the face, eyelids, lips, tongue, throat, hands, legs, feet, or sex organs, light-colored stools, muscle pain or stiffness, nausea and vomiting, nightmares, numbness of the hands, pain in the joints, pain or discomfort in the arms, jaw, back, or neck, painful, red lumps under the skin, mostly on the legs, pounding in the ears, puffiness or swelling of the eyelids or around the eyes, face, lips, or, tongue, redness of the face, neck, arms, and occasionally, upper chest, seizures, severe abdominal or stomach pain, cramping, or burning, shakiness in the legs, arms, hands, or feet, skin rash, swelling of the face, feet, or lower legs, swollen, painful, or tender lymph glands in the neck, armpit, or groin, thick, white vaginal discharge with no odor or with a mild odor, unsteadiness, trembling, or other problems with muscle control or coordination, unusual drowsiness, dullness, tiredness, weakness, or feeling of sluggishness, white patches in the mouth and/or on the tongue, yellow eyes or skin.

These side effects can occur long after you initially take the med from the Cipro family.

• Edited

I was on a drug similar to Cipro for a UTI and about three days after I started I got really sore in the back of my ankles and felt like kind of 'inside' my forearms. Went to the doc and he asked right away if I was on an antibiotic. Long story short, it, like Cipro, can cause fairly bad tendinitis.I could hardly roll over in bed my tendons in my upper arms hurt so badly. I had to stay off my feet for a couple of days so I wouldn't blow out my Achilles tendons (back of ankles). Four months later I still have soreness but is finally getting better. Who knew! But, I keep getting these UTI's, am not sexually active, by my immune system has been stressed since I went through chemotherapy last year for ovarian cancer. Very frustrating - just want them gone!

• Posted

I'm having the same problem. at first they gave me CIPRO, I was on it for seven days and at first it seemed to be working then stopped. I went and they gave me Bactrim for three days. I'm on my last treatment and i still have symptoms. im a little scared honestly. ive never had one before and I've had 3 in the last year and this one is terrible.

• Posted

I'm so sorry you are going through this. My opinion is you need a longer course. Most doctors do not understand this. Fight back, go to a urologist or another doctor. Voice your feelings. So many UTI's are resistant. Augmentin helps me but I have to take it daily. Good luck. Keep me posted.

• Posted

I think that is right but this URO doc not so sure of so I will be getting a second opion next weeks from a band of URO docs (22) in the city should be interesting

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.