I suffer with constipation regularly, any advice?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey,

I was looking for advice.

For as long as I can remember I have suffered with constipation and have never go often. I tend to go once a week if that. But it's been about 2 weeks now since I last went. I'm a healthy 20 year old and I get plenty of fibre and drink plenty of water, I've been to the doctors three times in the past week and have been given various types of medication but none of these seem to be working.

As I've stated this has been going on for as long as I can remember and when I mentioned this to the doctors each time, they have just stated that I will need to just take laxatives to make sure i go each day. I myself don't believe taking these everyday if healthy and I've tried everything. Does anyone have any suggestions of what else I can try or any idea what may be causing this as I have a healthy lifestyle.

Thanks,

Emma

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

hi emma, i can only tell you what i have done and that works for me. i am new to this issue and i have been an athlete most of my life. some of this you may already know. first eat small portions of foods that are easy to digest. i add a 1/4 of apple sauce a /4 cup and a quater cup of prune juice after each meal. i take a moderate amount of magnessium after lunch. keep walking and drink lots of water. if this does not seem to work i have eating sugar free candy, but only 3-4 max a day. this has solved my issue. if someone would state this does not work for them i would tell them to jog daily. jogging can make you go many times a day alone. get a doctors ok first of course.
  • Posted

Add coconut oil to your diet and see if that helps. It worked well on my daughter.
  • Posted

Hello Emma,

I've had problems with constipation, to the point of where there was a good amount of discomfort. I'd been told that eating enough fiber would prevent it, but I was eating a good about of it already and still had constipation. I didn't realize at the time there were two different kinds of fiber. I was getting plenty of non-soluble fiber but not much soluble fiber. I found a supplement that was high in soluble fiber on Amazon and starting taking it. After about 3 or 4 days, I was so relieved to see improvements in my bowel movement, and in about a week my constipation was actually gone! So I've been taking it everyday since. I don't know if it'll help you, but it sure did for me. In case you're interested, that supplement is called OptimaPrime Life Psyllium Husk. You should be able to do a search at Amazon and find it. If you like, I can go find the link and if possible post it here. It's worth giving it a try to see if it helps you.

Amanda

• Posted

Hi Amanda,

Thank you so much this is really helpful, I will definitely take a look at this and give it a go!

I'll let you know if it helps.

Thanks!

Emma

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.