I suspect that Venous supplements gave me chestpain/heart attack.

Posted , 4 users are following.

In an attempt to treat my bilateral varicoceles and infertility issue, I've been taking horse chestnut (100mg), grape seed extract (300mg), Butcher's Broom (150mg), Hesperidin (50mg), and Diosmin (450mg) for about a month.  I've also been taking pine bark extract (100mg) daily.

About 2 weeks ago, I experienced something very strange which I've never experienced before.  About half an hour after waking up on a Saturday morning having slept 9 hours the night before, I felt an intense squeezing pressure on my chest.  The pressure is consistent and painful to the point I need to stop what I was doing. The pain spread to the shoulder blades and lasted for about 3-4 minutes, after which I went to lie on a bed to take a rest.  For the next 3-4 days, my shoulder was a little sore and my chest also felt sore.

My first thought was that I had an "heart attack".  I am 39 years old and not overweight, nor do I have diabetes or smoke or drink.  The following Monday, I went to see a GP and did an ECG, the scan was fine.  I also did a blood test, my Cholesterol was 176mg/dl, Triglyceride 97mg/dl, LDL-C 97mg/dl, HDL-C 60mg/dl.  For at least the past 5 years, my Cholesterol had been below 200mg/dl.  I find it hard to believe that my diet had caused the chest pain so I suspect that my varicose supplements might have led to it.  Has anyone experienced something similar?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I know that in the U.S., supplements like the ones you're taking are not regulated.  I'd stop all supplements until I could go over each one with a doctor who practices traditional medicine first - or even a naturopath who knows very well which supplements are safe by ingredient and by brand.  Maybe even start with one or two and then slowly introduce more.  A dr. should be sure there are no negative interactions, too...

I hope you haven't had another episode like the one you described...  Aside from the varicoceles you sound like a healthy man, so there may be other treatments for you other than so many supplements.  Good luck!

• Posted

Thanks for replying. I've not had a recurrence since. Early this month I went for an echocardiography and treadmill ECG, the doctor cleared me, no issues found.

I only took grape seed, jarrow venous optimizer and pcynogenol, there are not known to cause chestpain. I'm taking these to treat my bilateral varicoceles which I suspect is causing my low sperm morphology.

• Posted

I'm glad to know it was just a one-time-thing! Good luck - I hope these help you!
  • Posted

You could ask advice from your local pharmacist about the supplements, they are usually very knowledgable and helpful.
  • Posted

Hi Jl1975, I'm curious to know if your venous supplements have increased your sperm morphology since it's been a few months since your last post.  I'm considering starting a venous supplment to increase fertility while having a left varicocele and wanted to know if you've seen any results.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.