I think I have SVT, what do I tell doctors?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've brought up the possibility to my doctors before, but because I have depression they assume it's panic attacks. I try to explain it's never emotional and is very random, stopping and starting suddenly, but they just don't feel like listening. Any advice on how to convince them just to look into it?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I heard this before from some drs., that my SVT was in my mind, panic attacks or stress related.  I had even been diagnosed with SVT but these were different drs. telling me this when I travelled & had an episode.  Drs. can make mistakes.  They are only human.  You just need to find the right dr. - a considerate one who looks at all your symptoms and then performs the necessary tests.

If you are experiencing arythmia, palpatations, then consider the triggers (lack of sleep, chocolate, sugar, caffeine, alcohol, exercise, overheating, etc.) and try to relate the episode to a cause.  That will help and is useful info to a dr.  Some of us suffer episodes without any recognizable triggers.  For me I find anthying that reduces the amount of potassium in my body is a trigger, e.g Apple Cider vinegar. 

The problem you face is some folks with depression or anxiety have heart related issues caused by their mental state.  So do more research yourself.  Experiment.  Find triggers if you can.  Get better info & go see a considerate dr.

• Posted

Hiya, the only way they will believe it is if it is caught on an ecg. Ask if they will put you on a 24 hour monitor and hopefully it will show up. You have to be quite forceful because lots of people have been wrong diagnosed with panic when it's been svt, including me! Good luck and don't give up! Sonia x
  • Posted

Hi. It took seveal years for my SVT to be diagnosed properly, only happening when they finally managed to capture it on a machine in the A&E. I don't think this is unusual, because most doctors have little first-hand experience of SVT patients.

This might sound boring, but could I suggest you note down what goes on in your life before your SVT episodes? This might identify a pattern(s) that could help you and/or your doctor.

Some things that might be important from e.g. the previous 24 hours could be what you ate, drank, medications taken, physical exercise, and stressful situations.

In my own case SVT was triggered soon afterwards by caffeine, but sometimes happened as a delayed reaction to stress (like family rows, work etc.) a day beforehand. But there seem to a many different triggers for others.

Keep on your doctor's case until you get a convincing diagnosis and treatment!

• Posted

i am the same i had 4 abnormal ecgs, fast heart rate all put down to anxiety. i stepped on the treadmill for a stress test and my heart rate was 110, it got upto 200 on fast walking 12 minute stress test. they said, are u anxious, i was like no not really. it is so frustrating.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.