I think I'm having an adverse reaction to mirtazapine

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm not sure what's happening to me this evening but I've hit an indescribable low. It's almost identical to what I experienced with fluoxetine. Everything was OK to begin with and within a month or two in, almost overnight, it was if the drug became depressogenic and I had no choice but to stop it cold turkey and recover for a few weeks.

A similar thing is happening now with mirtazapine. I'm about a month and a half in, started waking up in states of panic - and now of this evening, I'm feeling suicidal. But for a little while there, like with fluoxetine, things were OK.

My plan is to go to my GP first thing - but has anyone else experienced this? And should I take my next dose? The good thing is that it does knock me out.

I think this is largely because I don't think my problems are related to serotonin. The only drug I've had any success with is venlafaxine but I stopped it after a poop out three years later. Those three years were a bit foggy mind you.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Ho Chris your not alone with this mirtazapine seems to come with lots of side effects more than iv ever known.. for myself 15mg was a good dose felt really bright could see a future. .going upto 30mg changed that almost overnight. Had a bad relapse just wanted to die couldn't look after myself at all. Just craved sweets & couldn't sleep.. I think goin up maybe a real bad idea for u. If your already having suicidal thoughts . X
    • Posted

I did have a feeling that everything was OK, akin that everything would be alright for about a week. That was about two weeks in and it ironically peaked on my second visit to my GP. It's been progressively downhill from there.

Are you doing any better on it by the way? The one thing I have liked is that it knocks me out cold within an hour or so of taking it. My appetite was ravenous like yours for the first week but after that, I've been feeling like I want to eat less and less...

• Posted

Yeh sounds like me..the only good thing was the knockout effect. I sometimes think maybe that's y I felt bright for a change..I fight sleep & I couldn't with this. I had high hopes to go back to work started planning things can't believe how quick it changed.cravings went worse on 30mg put almost a stone on in less than 2weeks..would of thought impossible. My sleep stopped also . I went cold turkey for 8 days then started on venlafaxine I'm so much better now thanks 😊
  • Posted

Two things strike me. My psychiatrist told me that recovery from depression is never a straight line, it always has ups and downs. The mirtazapine has worked for you so far, and this might just be one of the "down" phases, and if you stick it out you will come up again. Gradually the "up" phases get longer and the "down" phases get shorter and less bad. The other thing is - you say that venlafaxine worked for a while, could you take that again in combination with mirtazapine? when venlafaxine stopped working for me, the psychiatrist added on mirtazapine, and that's been successful for me. Apparently the two together can work when each individually wasn't effective enough. But you'll need to ask your doctor what he/she thinks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.