I think I may have had a TIA a of weeks ago but not sure.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had what I thought at the time was a painless migraine with aura a couple if weeks ago and didn't really think much of it. I've had them before but honestly not for a couple if years now so I thought they had stopped. The thing is, while it was similar to previous migraines I've had the visual effects were slightly different than I remember and this gas caused me to worry.

My symptoms happened over a few minutes and didn't all appear immediately intensely at first if that matters. I had a tingling in my left arm and it felt kind of numb but I could still move my hand and raise my arm above my head. I felt lightheaded like I wanted to lie down, no vertigo though. I also had a vision disturbance I find hard to describe, like it was difficult to focus on the words I was reading at the time and it was more like a bright light on one side rather than the kaleidescope pattern I'm used to.

As I said it's been 2 weeks and I'm only really thinking about it now because I have only really just learned about TIAs properly. I could still speak fine and my face was unaffected so I didn't think it was a stroke but in hindsight I've started to worry it might be more serious than it originally seemed.

I visited my doctor for a strange feeling I've been having in my arm for the past week and I mentioned the suspected migraine, how I was worried about it and if it might be related and she didn't really ask me to go in to any details and just treated me for anxiety but I'm not completely assured. I didn't really go in to as much detail with her because she seemed more interest in my arm discomfort.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Title is supposed to say a couple of weeks ago sorry, 2 weeks today I think actually.
  • Posted

Your Dr might have focused on your arm discomfort to make sure you weren't having a heart episode, which she seems to have dealt with to her satisfaction. If you have the same visual experience again, it might be best to go and check it out at A&E/ER. Particularly if it also hurts like you've said.

• Posted

Hi, in the past when you had silent migraines did you ever have anything other than visual disturbances? This time you say your visual disturbance was different and you had some numbnes in your arm. Was the visual disturbance and arm numbness both on the same side?

Just wanted to point out that the severity or number of symptoms is not an indication of whether something is a stroke or a TIA. They're differentiated  by the length of time the symptoms last for.Most TIA symptoms resolve completely within 20 minutes.

It's a little concerning that you still have some symptoms in your arm. Is  it just pain, or is there any numbness or clumsiness?

The likelihood of it being a TIA or stroke really depend on your risk factors, ie age, high BP, high cholesterol, diabetes, Atrial fibrillation,previous heart attack/disease and  or stroke or TIA.

Did the GP check your sensation/strength etc in your arm,and check your vision?

• Posted

hi Electricroses Go back to GP and explain all your symptoms  explain you had a a change in your  frequency of Migraine Aura as changes should always be reported to GP.

Get the GP to refer you to see a consultant who can give you some relevant tests CT or MRI

to clarify if it were  Migraine or a TIA   if this GP won't get an appointment with another GP. My mother had a stoke after a TIA she  reported to a GP she was told by GP to wait to see a consultant  a month later in the mean time she had a stroke.

I get Migraine with Aura and recently went to hospital as my BP was over 168/81

but it came down i get numbness in left hand which was probably caused by anxiety with the Aura,

but still, i went to hospital as it becomes confusing as they can be similar as health is important and at least you can get some clarity there .Contact  the Surgery and ask for an urgent appointment explaining about TIA .Write everything down to show doctor and this time explain everything so the GP can put everything together and explain you want to get to the bottom of this for your peace of mind.

As were not professionals it's best to get seen and the GP is there to help you

most of the time if not change the GP!

Best of Luck to you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.