I think I should maybe stop venlafaxine now?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have been taking venlafaxine for approximently 25 days now. The first 7 days I took 37.5mg and the last 18 days I have been taking 75mg. I have seen little to no improvement in my depression and anxiety. There have also been some side effects that have been annoying me and very much worrying me. I have never felt so disinterested in everything and I feel tired a lot. I also feel like my emotions have felt numb to other peoples feelings and I have lost my temper with a few people and have felt angry. I have a dry mouth most of the time. But the main side effects that are very much concerning me are the sexual side effects. Lets get one thing straight I am desperate for this medication to help my anxiety and depression. But I also do NOT want my sexual functioning took away from me the entire time I take this medication. I have had some advice from people telling me to keep taking the venlafaxine and see if the sexual side effects improve and to be fair they have improved somewhat from a few weeks ago. But the sexual side effects are still bad enough that I am unable to have sexual intercourse. First of all that's nearly a month on venlafaxine and I have seen little to no improvement in my depression and anxiety. That doesn't seem right? and also I just don't know if I feel that it is worth the risk continuing to take venlafaxine if there is a chance that the sexual side effects will remain so bad that I can't have sexual intercourse. This outcome would not be ok to me if the venlafaxine even cured me of my depression and anxiety but I still had such bad sexual side effects that I could not perform. That is not an acceptable outcome to me. I am not willing to be in my mid twenties and impotent. Regardless if the medcation cures my depression and anxiety or not. An ironic thing about that is it won't cure my depression because if I am impotent in my mid twenties then I will be depressed. I also feel that it is such an unnatural thing that these drugs can do to people. It's changing your brain in such a way that it is stopping you from being able to do one of the most natural things there is. I have also been reaserching some worrying stuff online about how these drugs rewire the brain and can sometimes have long lasting or permanent sexual side effects. If that is the case these drug companies, psychiatrists and doctors who prescribe these drugs should be in serious trouble because robbing people of their sexual functioning is destroying their lifes to some extent. If it's not permanent and only lasts through out treatment from these drugs then it's not too bad. But if it is permanent then it is a down right disgrace. I really am not sure what to do because I have seen little to no improvment in my depression and anxiety and thats nearly a month I've been on the venlafaxine and I am extremely worried these sexual side effects will not improve to an acceptable enough level the entire time I take the venlafaxine. If I just stopped taking the venlafaxine the now would I experience withdrawal symptoms? Or should I just reduce the dose slowly if I decide to stop taking it? Or do you think I should take the venlafaxine longer to see if it improves my anxiety and depression and see if these sexual side effects improve to an acceptable enough level? I just don't know what to do? Please any help and advice would be much appreciated.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi, read your thread, was wondering why the go but you on this drug at your age, if I were you I'd try another one, read up on other types and see if it may affect your sex drive, unfortunately most do seem to have this effect!! All have there flaws in side effect terms, but worth trying g another type before you give up, are you having counselling as well, this alongside medication will help with how your feeling??

• Posted

Come off. Whilst your doubting your medication you won't be able to do what the medication is meant to be helping you to do - to try and help yourself and not need medication anymore.

I wasn't on it for long, but it helped me immensely. However everyone is different. Yes maybe the side effects will go away.. but I have also read the same articles as you and they scared me too. I'm mid 20s (female) and couldn't stand the thought of a pill changing my brain, i just wanted something to make the emotional pain stop. If you don't feel you are a risk to your self off this medication, I would come off it and find a less intrusive/scary way to cope. Have you tried any other medications?

• Posted

I Havejust weaned myself off a 75mg dose which I have been on.since 2013.it wo rked well for me after about 4 weeks and continued well throughout. I was not troubled about my libido as i an considerably older than you but I know from my son thst some of these medications do affect sexual function. I would check with your GP about this.
  • Posted

Hi William, it is important you discuss with your doctor before you stop your medication.  All of the side affects, yes I concur these are true.  Having just come off of these Venlafaxine after years of being on them, I am still suffering the side effects of withdrawal, it has only been a couple of weeks but every day I feel a bit better.  My husband says he can see a different more relaxed person, one willing to laugh with him rather than bite his head off.  I wish that someone had suggested, change of life style, fresh air, excercise, distancing myself from the destructive things around me. I know  Easier said than done, I can now actually see me now, the real person.  My reason for coming of this drug quicker than most is that it was affecting my adrenal glands, you have to weigh up the pros and cons, what is best for you, your doctor should help and point you in the right direction.  From my own experience talking also helps, I find listening to the ocean waves on my iPad at  night time helps me to sleep.. sounds crazy, for me it works.  I wish you all the best, just seek help please before you do anything.  Jan
  • Posted

Hi William. I take 300 mg of venlafaxine and 15 mg of mirtazapine daily. They work extremely well for my depression and help me sleep better at night. The negative side effects for me are high cholesterol and some parethesia. I do have some weird dreams, but nothing upsetting. I am a female much older than yourself, but I haven't noticed any major sexual side effects. I assume it could be very different for a man though.I hope you will get some feedback .from another man closet to your age that might help more. My biggest fear right now is that my meds will stop working

• Posted

I was saying that my worst fear is the meds will quit working for me, or I will have to try something different because of my side effects.

Good luck,

Phyl

• Posted

You have to do what's best for you. You're still young and most times hormones play a huge role with onset of anxieties. I personally think you can battle through without it wirh the help of counseling.

You should still taper but not as conservatively as you have only been for 3 weeks. I'm sure your doctor can help and will be the best to advise you. Best of luck to you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.