I told my GP I think I have Bipolar disorder

Posted , 5 users are following.

1 month before I said this to my GP, I had asked her if she suspected it as a possibility as she suggested I stay on antidepressants for life to prevent further depressive episodes (ongoing since preteens. Now aged 30). She said there was no way I was bipolar.

She started me on AD's and 3-4 weeks later I was back seeing another GP complaining about my mood shift and massive spending spree. I initially thought I needed my AD's increased.

After this, I thought about the previous doctor mentioning depressive 'episodes' again. I researched bipolar and it described me to a T.

It seemed the start of AD's had possibly triggered hypomania/mania.

I became so focused on this and obsessively researched it and couldnt let it lie. I went back to see the GP who prescribed the AD's and told her my thoughts.

She agreed it is quite possible and was about to refer me to a psychiatrist when she saw the previous doctor had already made a referral (the doc I spoke to about my mood change and spending spree). She just added onto the referral that I was hypomanic and she wants a follow up appointment with me to gather more information to pass over to the psychiatrist. My appointment has came through before we have had this follow up. I suggested I stopped my AD's and she advised me not to just yet. I did anyway and feel better for it. I have been able to sleep again!

It is quite frustrating as ive suffered depression since age 10/11. Been on and off anti depressants since age 16 - none of which have really helped.

I think I have had them all! Why have they not referred me already?

Anyway, does it it take long for the psychiatrist to diagnose? Im actually seeing a bit of light at the end of the tunnel. I might actually get the correct help so that i can have a better quality life!

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Long and very protracted referral to psychiatrist culminated in 2 assessments including husbands involvement before bipolar 2 diagnosis and being put on mood stabiliser lithium and anti psychotic quetiapine 4 yearse on leading a far more happy and balanced life antidepressants a definite no no
    • Posted

Thank you. Im glad that the right medication has helped him have a better life
    • Posted

If you are absolutely convinced antidepressants are not right for you after taking them for a period of time because other symptoms seem prevalent like overthinking stuff, ideas of grandeur, recklessness keep strong and pursue psychiatric route , none of this is an easy ride .But diagnosis for me changed my life for the better
    • Posted

Thank you. I will definitely keep pushing it. Getting the right meds for any mental health condition is so important. The best person to get you that is a psychiatrist.

Thankfully my appointment came through fairly quick. My assessment is at the beginning of march.

Im so pleased to hear it has helped change your life smile

• Posted

You are not Bi-Polar

Yes you are Manic and need to accept your GP s recommendation and take your AD medications.

You need to understand  some of the population will suffer Depression once.in their lives

Others will possibley have various periods of depression throughout their lives and will need to take AD medications every now and then.

The last group like me will be on them for the rest of my life because of Chronic Disability

So to get better take your medications

BOB

• Posted

A GP is not qualified to diagnose bipolar. If they were 100% convinced that it was just depression, they never would have made the referral to the psychiatrist.

From my understanding, a manic episode is enough to diagnose bipolar.

I have suffered from depression on and off for many years, so I do have a very good understanding of it.

I am not saying it is bipolar since only a psychiatrist can make that diagnosis, but I am saying that I display many of the symtpoms. When depressed I go to the docs, but when manic/hypomanic - people dont go as much, if at all. Which is why it is so easily misdiagnosed as something else, like depression.

As for taking them to get better. The last ones I took sent me hypomanic to where I couldnt sleep, I ended up in debt etc. on the positive side I had lots of energy!

The previous ones sent me into what I can only describe as a mixed state. I was very suicidal and went against the doctor and stopped them myself again. I felt better after a couple of days. My family were relieved I ignored the GP and stopped them.

Since I have stopped my current meds I have felt better. I believe the smartest thing would be to wait until the assessment with the psychiatrist.

Not all GPs are clued up with bipolar and there is a chance mine is one of them.

• Posted

When a patient is as concerned about the actual condition and they feel you will not respond, they will refer and see how it goes. You need to understand the most important thing is to settle you and make you well it is extremely importand you follow any recommendations your GP makes especially if you are getting any form of treatment from a CPN etc.

The trick cyclist will most probably be working on recommedations from people who know your condition, He will diagnose and pass back on most occasions. 

In my case with my Depression and Conjenital Short Term Memory Disorder He needed to see me and expand on my condition it was the Crisis Team and my CPNs and Phycologists who had been to a meeting and discussed my case. That is where they get their direction from

• Posted

Unfortunately telling your GP you thought I had bipolar is about the worst thing you could have done. GPs and psychiatrists notoriously hate patients self diagnosing bipolar, as it puts the idea into your head and makes it hard for them to get to an unbiased diagnosis. I'm not saying that's right or wrong, it's just how it is. When you see the psychiatrist, I wouldn't mention what you think you have - just describe the symptoms honestly and if your bipolar, they won't miss it, it's what they are trained to do

• Posted

I was diagnosed when I was 21 I'm now 28 and I'm on lithium and it saved my life. Self diagnosing is the wrong way to go about it especially when most doctors believe that people who are mentally ill cannot see it. Plus they don't like anyone telling them how to do their job.

• Posted

Thank you all. I will take heed and make sure I dont come across as trying to diagnose myself when I see the psychiatrist. I am very open and honest about everything when it comes to my mental health as I understand the importance of the correct help being given.

I didnt say to the doctor that I do believe I have it, as such. I just asked if it was possible and described my symptoms which made me question the possibility. The doctors know me and know that whenever I feel I need extra help or support in regards to my MH, I am there without hesitation. We talked about how I go in for depression, but I never have during the times when I have had a high mood. I know I have spoken to a CPN about my overspending and how I will spend an absolute fortune on things I develop a massive interest in, only to lose interest and wonder what on earth I was thinking at the time of purchase. The spending has had massive impacts on my life, for years. Its not just the spending, but that causes a lot of trouble for me. I discharged myself from therapy as I felt fine. They didnt want me to, but trusted that I would ask for a referral if I felt I needed it again. Which I would and always have done.

I have the belief that the psychiatrist will give me the correct diagnosis. Be that depression, bipolar or something entirely different. I strongly believe it is more than depression, but I will trust their judgement over my own.

• Posted

Yes I can relate to that a fair bit also. The anxiety disorders, eating disorder, perception of myself etc.

Along with the abandonment feeling. I cant get close to people as I strongly believe it will come to an end anyway. So i tend to push people away when closeness develops.

I have been able to maintain romantic relationships, but unfortunately I kept ending up with abusive men(unintentionally). If I remember correctly, that is a common theme for BPD? I am having a few years by myself now. Im into my second year with just me and my children.

I am very close to my immediate family and would feel very anxious if they were to all be away at the same time.

An assessment is needed as AD's really dont do anything for me. I want to be stable. Hopefully I will get there soon enough.

• Posted

Claire let them do their job, You will eventually be informed on THEIR FINDINGS. Let then have the thunder. You will get further that way

BOB

• Posted

You are so right. Its the waiting that is torture. I get like this every now and then. Obssessively try to find the answers to things. I guess im doing that with this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.