I took 40 mgmt of prednisone for 2 weeks then went off cold turkey. Have I harmed myself?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been suffering with breathlessness, chronic thick post nasal drip and sinus congestion for over 2 years. My PCP diagnosed me with COPD and prescribed Symbicort. But she didn't do any tests and the Symbicort didn't seem to be doing anything so I finally went to a pulmonologist. He did a spirometer test and I scored 96% which indicates no COPD but he decided to treat my symptoms anyway. He prescribed antibiotics for 5 days, Spiriva and prednisone 80 mg a day for 7 days. But I misunderstood the directions and I took 40 milligrams for 14 days. Nobody ever said anything about the need to taper off so I went cold turkey. Now I'm sick with muscle weakness, shakiness, extreme fatigue, diarrhea and nausea on top of the post nasal drip and sinus congestion. I think I am having prednisone withdrawal symptoms and after researching it on the internet I am very afraid that I'm going to be sick for a long time, maybe forever. I'm wondering if I'm just suffering from anxiety or--if I have a real reason to be concerned. Has anybody else gone cold turkey and what was the recovery like?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Probably anxiety, there is no need to taper off therapy after a two week course.

best wishes 

aa

• Posted

Thank you for your reassurance. I have a history of anemia so hopefully this shaking, weakness and fatigue might be fixed with an iron supplement. This past May I decided I want to get into the best health I possibly can because I want to go hiking and camping again. so I started taking care of things that I knew were wrong. I had a hiatal hernia repair with fundoplication, epidural injections for herniated discs, and 2 upper molars extracted because they looked like they were in my sinuses. Then my gums got infected and I needed a course of antibiotics. I was very relieved to find out I do not have COPD but I still have this debilitating sinus congestion and post nasal drip. My last hope is to see an ENT doctor. Again thank you.
  • Posted

It should say on the drugs prescribed how to take the meds, it should have also been explained by the doctor and if ever in doubt the pharmacist can advise.  Failing that as with all prescribed medications they come with an information leaflet which generally tells you the do's and don't, 

Recommend you contact your doctor and commnicate what you did and what has happend.

https://patient.info/medicine/prednisolone-deltacortril-deltastab-dilacort

• Posted

I just found out that my blood pressure is 90 / 60 (usually 120/70) and my heart rate is over 100 BPM (usually 82). Now I'm really afraid the prednisone hurt me. I see my PCP tomorrow.

• Posted

Hi kathijkg, Im going through the same withdrawals... Where you able to get better? how long did your withdrawal symptoms last?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.