I'ts time to talk.....

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello I am 49 year old Swedish male currently living in Eastern Canada. I have been drinking since I was 13. I was diagnosed with IBS at the age of 25, and the doctor told me to eat more fibre, which I disregarded back when. My current habits are 4 cans of 7% beer/night and sometime an additional glass of wine. (Last year or so) Prior to that I used to drink more wine about a bottle/night and polish of a couple of beers as well.

I haven’t always been drinking every day used to be weekend drinker and little Saturday that we use to call Wednesdays back in Sweden :o)

I eat fairly healthy lots of plant based foods and I take vitamin supplement including St. Mary’s thiste tablets. When I drink I drink very slow, 30-60 minutes per can. However I am very worried about liver cirrhosis. I have muscular pains alongside of my right rib not under rib but alongside and also when I bend my back to the sides it really hurts. My latest health checkup was 3 years ago where my liver enzymes showed slightly elevated but nothing that concerned the doctor. My health overall is pretty good.

The biggest problem I am having is that I am terrified to go and see a doctor, I am afraid they say you have cirrhosis, pretty much meaning I’m done here on earth, Thank goodness though I do have my Christian faith and believe in God. I have decided to stop drinking and I have been saying this probably for the last 10 years now so getting abit tired of wanting to quit but never really putting any action into the thought. The longest I have gone without any drinks for the last ten years is probably 12. Last time was 3 days 2 weeks ago, but it always comes back to the good or should I say bad old habit.

I have been going through lots of stress last 5 years with 5 deaths in me and my wifes family. Anyways just to make a long story short and to summarize the will to quit is there but its oh so difficult.

Regards

Daniel

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Daniel, I think it is very unlikely you have liver cirrhosis. You would have noticed that the whites of your eyes and even your skin was yellow. Go and see your doctor and get a liver function test (blood test) done. You may have even more elevated liver enzymes but you are not likely to be past the point of no return. When you get the results come back and tell me what they are and I can advise better.

As an independent alcohol treatment practitioner, I see people drinking a lot more than you do and very few are beyond help.

• Posted

Paul you are amazing, we are so very lucky to have you.  Thank you so much for giving us your precious time.  You are one in a million.

• Posted

Thank you for your kind comment Patricia smile The thing is, there is a selfish element, I love what I do smile
    • Posted

HI Paul...to anyone who has a problem with alcohol..maybe fairly small, or a problem seemingly insurmountable..Paul is a brilliant source of practical advice..and advising what direction and action to take....he has been advising on here for many years, and he is well appreciated and trusted by many......he is a good man...

Always keep up the good work Paul...sincere regards..DEIRDRE x

• Posted

Not on here many years, just about a year, but more than 25 years working with people with alcohol issues. Thanks Deirdre smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.