I unconsciously hit my alarm clock and wake up an hour later when napping

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi. I briefly searched the forums for my question but couldn't find anything, so here goes:

I don't always get enough sleep at night. Not because I can't sleep but because i tend to go late to bed. This results in me being in need of a nap when I get home from school in the afternoon. I turn on my alarm clock the same way I do at night and it almost always wakes me up in the morning, rady to go to school. The problem is: Sometimes it don't. 

As recently as today I snap out of a bubble when my mother is yelling at me for not getting up and starting making dinner. I look at the clock and it's an hour past the time I was supposed to get up. My mother was yelling at me because I apparently had told her many times that I would get up but never did. All I remember though, is setting the alarm and waking up to an angry mother.

I wanted to know if anybody else has experienced unconsciously turning off their alarm and having conversations and ending up sleeping for way too long and if so; what to do about it, besides getting a really loud alarm.

Thanks smile

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I have exactly the same problem as u, I don't always get enough sleep because either I go to bed really late or um up all night because of my underlying illness which keeps me awake for majority of the night. I have on many occasions turned my alarm click off on a morning and by the time I get up, I've over slept by two hours.

• Posted

Story of my life! And I'm an old lady now.rolleyes

My parents were both the same, only much worse. When I moved away from home into rather uncomfortable student accommodation, they would often urge me to come back home for days off "to get some proper rest". But nothing was further from the truth. They'd have a whole array of alarm clocks on a shelf attached to the head of their bed, they'd book alarm calls from the telephone company, and even have a neighbour come and knock on the front door. All this used to start around 6am and go on for the next hour-and-a-half till they finally managed to wake up. I used to go back completely exhausted!

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Teenagers often sleep very deeply and it doesn't necessarily mean you'll be like this all your life - like my parents!

In my working days, I used to have two alarm clocks - one beside the bed and another one on the other side of the room, so I'd have to get out of bed to shut it down. On really important days I used to book a telephone wake-up call too - and not keep the phone by the bed!

I very much doubt whether there's anything wrong with you that getting a few years older won't cure. However, if you start hearing that you're really doing a lot of stuff in your sleep that you don't remember (e.g. long, complex conversations, not just grunted responses to your mother) it might be a good idea to mention it to your doctor, just to be sure.

And I hate to be a bore, but have you considered going to bed a bit earlier? It's not rocket science that you're having problems waking up if you're not getting enough sleep, is it?razz

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.