I've been booked for a angiogram.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been booked for a angiogram. after going to the doctor for what I thought was heartburn, I've looked at possible things that can go wrong but would like to hear from anyone that's had one as I don't trust statistics very much, very nerveouse at the thought of some thing going into my heart.

thanky in advance for any feed back

regards Howard

PS, THE CARDIOLOGIST AND DOCTOR PICKED UP A BRUIT

whilst listening at the artery at the side of the neck (and said it could indicate a restriction of blood flow at the left side of the heart)

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Howard, I have had an Angiogram but some time ago, it's quite straight forward and done by local anaesthetic, through the groin to check the condition of your arteries. I believe it's the best way to find out if you have any problems with your heart. Although I don't know what a Bruit is.

• Posted

Hi Howard,

I had an angiogram recently and had been quite worried as I suffer with anxiety and OCD. I got a lot of support from this site and in the end it was absolutely fine. It did not hurt and healed perfectly in days (they went in from the wrist). In my case they found that I needed 2 stents fitted and I am waiting to hear when. The same catheter proceedure will be followed for these.

So don't worry it will be fine and soon over. All these things can make you anxious but you need to find the problem and get better.

Good Luck...Mick

• Posted

Had one last Dec. when I had heart failure. They went in through my wrist.

Not a big deal really, sound scarier than it actually is. I suspect you'll probably wonder why you got so worked up about it all after he procedure.

very small chance of complications.

good luck with it all Howard lol

• Posted

I had one a few months ago. They had to go through my groin, and it wasn't as bad as I thought. I didn't feel a thing when they made the incision, nor when they put the wires in. It was weird to see the wire in my veins on the screen, but not feel it.  The most awkward bit was having to hold my groin every time I moved or got up for a few days. 
  • Posted

Just a quick update on my angiogram as from my discharge summary.

Main Diagnosis: Admission from TBH for rehab following Right MCA infract and right TACS during diagnostic angiogram. Thrombolyed successfully.

in plain English: a Stroke caused by the angiogram

I was lucky to have been in the hospital so taken straight to MRI scan then to be Thrombolysed

after 3 days at the acute stroke ward I was sent to another stroke rehab. Hospital (  total hospitalisation 8 days, discharged to day , 45%

paralisis in left leg and  35% left arm.

I was told the odds of a stroke from angiogram 0.05 %.

with having being part of that persentage, should I do the lottery LOL )

A big thank's to all the stroke team for the fact that I can write this tonight.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.