I've been diagnosed with slip disc L5 S

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm on strong medication liquid and tablet morphine and lyrica tablets for the nerve ... has anyone used the Ten machine which I have read about to help ease the pain ... I've been of work for last 2 months waiting to have an injection done which they say thecwsiting list is up to 4 months ..,. I thinking of going back to work part tame ... is anyone out there have the same probs as me as I'd love to hear how your coping and what your doing to help

With pain

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

The tens machine is a God send . I use it alot as have same disc out as yourself. I am still waiting for an injection. Not sure when that will happen. Be careful going back too soon. I've been off 8 weeks and hoping to return to work next week. You can buy a tens machine from most chemists I've got one that has heated pads . Fantastic. Good luck

• Posted

Hi thx for your reply this may sound silly but how does the machine work??? As I don't have any pain in my back just bum thighs carf and right under my feet with burning sensation

• Posted

The tens machine is a God send . I use it alot as have same disc out as yourself. I am still waiting for an injection. Not sure when that will happen. Be careful going back too soon. I've been off 8 weeks and hoping to return to work next week. You can buy a tens machine from most chemists I've got one that has heated pads . Fantastic. Good luck

• Posted

I have used a tens machine and I really think it helped. Mine was wireless too which is so handy for getting out and about. No help on the worl front as I am a stay at home parent. I've had to resort to surgery, currently 5 months post op

• Posted

That's good news glad you came to the end of your tunnel ..... might give the machine a go

• Posted

Hi there i would not recomend going back to work until your happy with your pain threshold.Ihave been off for two years and have run out of patience ,Oh itsnot that bad from the stupid Physio.Zero for the pain from the Nhs.If you do try a tens machine keep us all informed please.My back is real bad but 50 years in construction is far from kind to ones back.I hope that you get well soon.

Take care and good luck

• Posted

Hi

Thx for your reply sorry to hear you suffered so long I feel that for the 3 months has gone by and I haven't been able to enjoy ... I do feel that my medication is finally showing me the end of s bad tunnel and hopefully things will get better ... hope things improve for you and I wish you all the best

• Posted

Hi All

I'm another one in the same situation. Herniated disc at the bottom of my back causing pain all the way down my leg and into my foot. I'm in absolute agony, pain started last April. It has stopped on one occasion but came back with a vengeance. I don't understand how we can be left in so much pain, can't get more than 3 hours sleep a night if I'm lucky and have to go on hands and knees face down to get that!! On the sick from work as cannot walk further than 5 meters without stopping or having to go on the floor so I feel for you all, a dog wouldn't be left to suffer like this. I have recently been referred for the back injections 4-6 month wait and an operation as the injections do not work for everyone 6-9 month wait. I'm on lyrica, tried different pain killers, the usual ones they prescribe, Co codamol, Tramadol, Naproxen and dihydrocodeine all with no relief. They have not offered me anything else and have told me to stop taking any of the above apart from the lyrica and naproxen as they aren't helping and are addictive. Does anyone find any kind of relief from morphine please? I purchased a Tens after seeing this been using for 2 days but so far no relief. Does anyone know how long it usual takes to give some relief please? Thanks

• Posted

Hi

So sorry to hear how bad your pain is and also all the suffering your going ..im also on the lyrco with morphine tablets slow release over 12 hours to my body and oral morphine to take when needed which is a god send as Luke you sometimes I can't mall far and have to stop and get my breath back with the pain but a little Swig of the morphine does help me .im waiting for my appointment at the pain clinic and have been told it's 4 months before I get there then waiting on top of that for the injection . If it wasn't for the morphine don't think I would cope .. good luck x

• Posted

I've self paid for as much as I can, Mri last Dec and a consultation with a back surgeon 2 days ago hoping to move things along quicker, waste of money it seems as I still have months of suffering. I'm definitely taking out private health care after this. I can't afford to pay for the injections or I would tomorrow. I'll go back to my doctor and demand a better pain killer like morphine. Thanks for your reply. All the best

• Posted

re: how long.  My problem occurred Feb 2, 2016 and I sat in chair from Feb,March,April and part of May due to pain.  

These are all my tips in no priority order except the first one:

- I think the best think that has helped for me is movement of any sort. I am 60 and even when I am ok, stagnation causes issues.

- I was Prescribed 15mg of Meloxican (Mobic) once a day...and like all NAISD's you must keep taking them to act like an anti-inflammator...not just a pain killer.  

-Each day I tried to just walk a little.  Bring two walking sticks for balance and just move.

- I also drink lots of water to stay hydrated to help the discs to be hydrated

- For MeI tried to avoid sitting and sleeping on my stomach.

- I sleep on my side near the edge of bed where it is more firm (soft beds were bad for me)

- ok, so where am I now? Today I went to gym and worked on my core exercises (I hired a trainer- A MUST), I biked 15 miles, I hiked for 5 miles. So I am doing better. Yes I am taking my NAISD, but I am moving.

• Posted

Morning Chelle

You sound just the same as me!! I was off for 5 months last year foe the exact same reason as you. On the same meds - had injection in August which worked for about 10 week. Went back to work in Sept but was still in agony, didn't take my meds every 4 hrs but that's because I couldn't work if I did. I am now on pregabalin as well amytriptaline, and had my 3rd and final injection Wednesday but my pain in my back is worse now!!! I'm off work as I'm taking my meds properly but then it means my mental health will suffer as I feel so bad my kids doing stuff for me. Can't wash dry my hair. It's terrible so I understand where you are coming from. The consultant asked me "what do you want me to do"????

I replied "you're the doctor, you tell me!!!"

So he said I will have the third injection, then he will operate if it doesn't work. I just don't know what's going on with the pain..... the consultant also said if I carry on smoking he wouldn't operate. I had my last cigarette that night at 9pm. It was 25 days ago!

I just want this pain to go. I could live with a bit of pain but it's horrificthat I can't even wipe after the toilet with getting shooting pains. Fingers crossed something works soon. Hopefully the injection - I'd rather not have an operationif I can get away with it!! Good luck xxx

• Posted

Morning sandy

I think an operation is inevitable for both you and I. The injections, which don't seem to be working for you, mask the problem not solve sadly.

I can't see myself going back to work any time soon. I couldn't even if I wanted to. This pain down the leg is horrendous and nothing seems to help. I just cry and cry. But on a positive note it's just the one leg and not two, that I couldn't cope with. I do try to get about a bit, around the house and places I can stop my car right out side and shops that are small, I can't go to large stores as I can't walk far enough to get around them. I don't think I could look after children, do the school run etc, it must be so difficult for you. Do you know how you herniated your disc?

Best wishes xx

• Posted

Hi Dave

Thanks for your reply. My pain is so severe I can't lay in bed, I have to sleep sitting up or my knees face down, that's when I literally can't keep my eyes open and I'm usually woken in pain within 3 hours. I move about every day, try to walk, stretch etc. The anti inflammatory (Naproxen) I take would not be suffice on its own as a pain killer, no where near, I'd be climbing the walls.

You seem to be doing well which is great news. All the best and keep going with the exercises if they work for you.

• Posted

ouch. I recall that time.

note: i also left out the following.

per my MRI and symptoms I had 3 Steroid Injections. Although there was not an overnight difference - with time they helped.

• Posted

I'm waiting for the nerve blocking injections, which can't come quick enough. Thanks for your advice and I'm glad those days have eased and your in the mend.

• Posted

Hi

I've come back into work today but I really shouldn't have. I don't get thought any better of.

I'm going to call the consultant later to see what's going on. This injection doesn't seemed to have worked. So I shall wait and see xxx

Hope you feel a bit better soon xxx

• Posted

Your right with work, I'm not going back while I'm in considerable pain, it's just not worth it. Your health is far more important, if you end up back in the sick that's worse on your record of episodes of sickness.

If your still in severe pain after those injections that's no good. I pray to God they work for me!!! Hope your better soon xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.