I've been on Mirtazapine for just over 3 weeks

Posted , 6 users are following.

The first two weeks I was on 15mg, and they did help with my sleep at first. But during the day I was groggy and unbelievably tired. I was assured this would pass. Just over a week ago my dose was upped to 30mg and I do feel much worse. I'm still struggling to sleep, and when I do eventually fall asleep in the early hours, I find it virtually impossible to wake up until late afternoon. Then, I'm feeling too weak and tired to do anything. I was wondering if anyone had experienced the same thing and if it did eventually pass, because right now I feel like I'm just existing.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Yes i was like that i only managed to stay on them for 10 weeks because it didn't get any better but everyone is different.so i would give it a bit longer. hope it works for you and you start feeling better
  • Posted

Hi Caroline,

I was thinking of trying Mirtazapine and Amitriptyline has given me tinnitus!!  I think you need to 'hang in ther' for at least 10 weeks.

Good luck sweetheart, we are ell strugglinh!!! x

• Posted

Hi Caroline

I have read many times that mirt is more sedating at low doses.  By going up to 30mg you may be losing the sedation. That would make it more difficult to get to sleep.  However you say you get plenty of sleep in the day. You do not say in what way you feel much worse so I cannot say more.   

I take a low dose of mirt in order to sleep because I take Sertraline (an SSRI) for anxiety which causes insomnia.

I feel well on that, but I have to put up with the fact that it does take a lot of time out of my day.  I am retired so can cope.  In order to feel well I have to take the mirt at 8pm and go to bed at 10pm.  Then I can get up (with difficulty) at 8:30am.

I am slightly groggy for about 30 minutes, then I am fine. 

I was originally on Citalopram (another SSRI) but that caused insomnia which in turn caused depression every morning at least.    

Unfortunately it is trial and error - with each trial taking several weeks (ideally 8).  

• Posted

Hi Caroline,

I have been on mirtazapine now for a year and for around the first 8weeks it did the complete opposite of what it was suppost to and used to leave me feeling half a sleep through the day and constantly fatigued i would suggest to hang in their for a little bit longer if you can to see if it gets better for you as it did for me smile

• Posted

Yes. I found 15mg much too strong. Bit pills into approx 5mg at bedtime. Works quite well. Improved sleep but not every night especially if I miss my usual sleep time. Days are not trammelled. i wake normally, ready to go.

WARNING I changed BRAND and in 5 days was in a deep depression. Changed back to original brand. It too a month to recover. 

• Posted

Does Mirtazapine have any gastointestinal problems attached to it?  I was on Seroxat for about a year and as a depressant it was brilliant, but to erm, but it bluntly it kept me on the loo all the time.
  • Posted

Hi Caroline

It sounds to me that 15mg suited you much better; yes the first few weeks its very debilitating with regard to the fatigue, but it does settle down.  

I've read about lots of people having big problems when going from 15 to 30.  If I were you I'd take it 2 hours before bedtime, unwind during that time i.e. no pc games or anything that stimulates, try to keep healthy sleep pattern with getting up with alarm clock after 8 hours.

Its going to wreck your day totally if you sleep during the daylight hours.  It's ok at first but just getting out for a walk or CV exercise is going to make a massive improvement, not only to your fatigue (it lifts you out of it) but also promotes a good nights sleep (as long as not before bedtime of course).

I'm on 15 mg, works very well for my insomnia.  I hope this may help a little.

Best wishes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.