I've been on Paroxetine since December 1994!

Posted , 2 users are following.

Paroxetine saved my life. I had severe OCD and despite outpatient treatment at the best psychiatric hospital in the country, it was destroying me. I was on 60 mg for many years, but eventually got down to 40 mg where I stabilised. Unfortunately my life was suddenly turned upside down 2 years ago. I had a breakdown and was hospitalised for 3 months. My Paroxetine was increased to 60 mg again, plus I was given Mirtazapine & diazepam. I now just take Paroxetine. Hopefully in time I can cut down the dose again. Will maybe have to take it all my life? Don't know if that's a good thing, but prepared to take that risk. Has anyone else taken it as long as me?  

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Close! I started taking it in 1998 or 1999. I have dealt with Panic Disorder since the age of 11 and am now 43. It was a miracle for me. I, like you, wanted to lower my dosage so a few months ago started working with my doctor to start tapering down. I got down to around 10mg a day and then was blindsided by an enormous panic episode. So I am now ramping back up to my normal 40mg a day and don't plan on trying to come off of it any time soon if ever. My philosophy is if has worked over the years, stick with it... it's much better than having to deal with the turmoil and suffering of our conditions. Life is short... enjoy every moment of it you can... and if medication enables you to do so and you are happy on it, then by all means, stick with it. That's what I intend to do. No shame in that!
    • Posted

Thank you for that. I don't feel such a freak now! Yes, you are so right. If it works stick with it. I had a brief period many years ago, when I withdrew from Paroxetine and tried Effexor. Big mistake! That wasn't for me. I get few side effects from Paroxetine, (i.e. Very vivid dreams, and I talk in my sleep.) Rather that than the suffering I endured before. Before SSRIs there was nothing effective for people with our problems. I know - I tried them all! So glad it helps you also.
    • Posted

Well said ,if the drug works stay with it ,we all respond differently to

medication ,I was on lexapro for 5 years and it was great ,then it stoped  .my doctor put me on venlefaxine ,got worse ,now i am on seroxat 3 days ,waiting for the outcome ,wish all the best to everyone ,thanks for reading

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.