I've been on xarelto for 6 days and my Dr's nurse told me I could take my OTHER migraine med it's.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Xarelto for 6 doses and accidentally took advice and asprin what do I do

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

• Posted

Get in touch with whoever is monitoring your meds. (the anti-coagulant clinic at your local hospital, or your GP surgery) and tell them what has happened, and how much aspirin you have taken. They may advise you to come in and get your INR checked.
    • Posted

Xarelto  and the other NOACs do not alter your INR.
    • Posted

No, but the aspirin does! Aspirin is definitely contraindicated when on xarelto. Although I know that those on xarelto do not have to have their INR checked, surely there must be some monitoring procedure in place, if only occasionally? If not, another reason why I prefer to be on Warfarin!
    • Posted

I'm afraid I may have killed myself accidentally. I took the migraine meds I also took some ibuprofen which I was told I could take. Am I in the clear after 24 hours but I don't think so because it says bleed could occur 8 days later!! If I'm understanding what I read. I don't wanna die I'm only 55. I was just diagnosed with a fib and last night was my 6th dose of xarelto
    • Posted

Aspirin reduces your platelet count.

Aspirin has no effect on the INR value (that is, INR is not a method for measuring the anti-clotting affects of aspirin, since aspirin's action is not detected in the INR measurement).

• Posted

I don't understand what you mean. I am I gonna bleed? What about the ibuprofen? ?? When you look up on Internet both are bad and can cause bleeď
    • Posted

As NOAC's do not work in the same way as warfarin and it 'does not thin the blood' there is no test apart from an annual blood test to check kidney function.          
    • Posted

I've put call into Dr. Would it help not to take one for 24 hours?
    • Posted

So what your saying to me is I'm screwed. If I bleed. I bleed and according to all info I read late last night I might bleed 8 days from now. It really doesn't matter what a noac's is. I try to take care of myself and now I could be saying goodbye. Does anyone know how strong xarelto is in my body after 6 doses???
    • Posted

Yes, aspirin are anti-platelet, which is why I wasn't allowed to take aspirin when I was on clopidogrel. However, reduced platelet levels contribute to a longer clotting time. The problem with aspirin and ibuprofen, taken with an anti-coagulant is their capacity to irritate the stomach lining and make internal bleeding more likely. Maryb1960, wouldn't you be able to talk on the phone to a doctor/nurse at your local health facility, who might be able to put your mind at rest? The receptionists at my local surgery are very good in these sort of circumstances; if you explain the situation, maybe you won't have to wait for reassurance.
    • Posted

I've called. I've always had a rock gut. Lol. But last night I wanted tums. But that's not unusual. So what your saying is it could make my stomach bleed? Please help me understand this. I'm waiting on the call freaking out. Thank you for answering back.
    • Posted

Don't freak! Chances are you'll be fine, unless you took a really large amount of aspirin. Also, it sounds like you have no history of digestive upsets. I have to be very careful of aspirin because I'm hyper-sensitive to it; even the low-dose enteric stuff gives me indigestion! Hope you get the reassurance you need from your doctor.
    • Posted

If you got away with it overnight you should be OK but I would ask a doctor not us.

Certainly you should never do it again as I know someone who ended up in intensive care after taking ibuprofen with his NOAC.

• Posted

You are not going to die. If you bleed they give you a transfusion. NOACs wear off in 24 hours max.
    • Posted

Thank you. How do I know if I go to Dr. I'm waiting on call to them.
    • Posted

With a history of ulcers I avoid ibuprofen and worry about taking Wafarin and NOACs are contraindicated with my replaced aortic valve. Catch 22.
    • Posted

I just got a fib for no reason. No obesity no HBP. No high cholesterol, yes I smoked and had quit. Then my heart started going nuts . So I got put on xarelto and flacinaide. The dr didn't spend enough time with me. He told me I could take ibuprofen. Then on the way out he was gone I showed his nurse my OTC migraine med. Tylenol, caffeine and asprin. Yesterday had horrible headache yesterday morning. Took 4 ibuprofen but it wouldn't go away. So I took the migraine with the the asprin. Now I'm scared to death. I don't even know what my first symptoms would be. I hate this. I was normal one day and the next day this
    • Posted

I think I would probably be a candidate for noacs, as I take Warfarin for AF , but I don't think I will switch. I have read several articles by doctors bemoaning the fact that there is no monitoring tool (and no antidote!) for noacs, apparently there is research going on to find a monitoring tool. I wouldn't be surprised if when they find one, noac users will be monitored as frequently as Warfarin users!

• Posted

I go into the dr today at 1 so we can discuss my a fib and meds further. Thank you for the support. It's very scary not knowing or understanding what they say you have they give you meds and throw you out the door. Lol
    • Posted

He will be able to put your mind at rest as what you are worrying about is unlikely.
    • Posted

Hi Lucy, problem with Aspirin, when taken with an anticaogulant, is that you're getting a double whammy of things that "thin" the blood. Very unusual for people to be precribed both and it will significantly increase the risk of bleeding, not just in the stomach, but anywhere. Aspirin isn't (or shouldn't be) precribed as a pain killer. If someone needs anticoagulants and they have severe headaches then it would be best if they were prescribed low dose codeine. Here in the UK we can buy low dose codeine and tylenol.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.