I'VE BEEN TAKING ZOPILCONE FOR 15 YEARS.

Posted , 47 users are following.

I'VE BEEN ON ZOPILCONE FOR 15 YEARS. I TRYED TO STOP TAKING THEM WITHOUT ANY MEDICAL HELP. THE SIDE EFFECTS ARE VERY BAD. I HAD FAST HEART RATE, HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE, SWEATS, THE JERKS AND BREATHING PROBLEMS. I WAS TAKING 5 TO 6, 7.5MG PER NIGHT IN THE END. I'M GETTING HELP TO COME OFF THEM. I AM MENT TO BE TAKING 3.75MG AT 3 ONE NIGHT THEN 2 THE NIGHT AFTER, AND SO ON. THE PROBLEM IS IS THAT I'M GIVEN 45 PILLS EVERY TWO WEEKS. THATS JUST LIKE GIVING AN HEROINE ADDICT HEROINE AND SAYING TAKE ONE LINE A NIGHT. I DON'T KNOW HOW TO STOP OR WHERE TO GET THE HELP I NEED. THIS STUFF IS SO UNDERESTIMATED BY GP'S AND THEY DON'T MONITOR YOU AND STOP YOU AFTER THE RECOMMENDED TIME STATED MY MANUFACTURES.r

6 likes, 90 replies

90 Replies

Next
  • Posted

i have been on zopiclone 4 4 years.i hate takin them but can not stop them.i would like 2 hear from anyone with a sucsess story,as it plays a major part in my night life.im sure the feelings i get r what makes the addiction worse.i take 7.5mg every night about 5pm,by 9pm they start 2 work.i get a sence of bein happy n not worrying about a thing.then i get a bitter taste in my throat n get tearfull.im lucky if i get 6solid hours on the tablet.i was put on amytriptaline 150mg also 2 help with weaning off but i am ammune 2 all tablets.i really need help 2 get off them without going cold turkey.
    • Posted

I have been on Zopiclone 7.5mg for 16 years. I have nothing but praise. It helps me to sleep and I wake up refreshed.
    • Posted

I totally agree. After years of dreadful insomnia brought about by the long term mis-prescribing of anti-depressants, I can finally sleep for long enough each night to work successfully and confidently through each day. I simply don't care if I am addicted, I was nothing but a "Zombie" for years going night after night with no sleep whatsoever. I was incapable of doing anything and very accident prone, unstable and lacking in both mental and physical capacities. Now I am back to being my old self, highly creative, articulate and confident. My new GP treated me as a special case after years of seeing me suffer and frequently fall dangerously due to complete exhaustion. Since being on Zopiclone I have travelled extensively and written three novels, attended Adult Education for Art, Music and Languages. Additionally I have trained as a volunteer in a well known crucial Charity which requires alertness and fast thinking. I no longer worry myself sick about sleepless nights and feel that life has turned a corner for me and I look forward to each day once again. I am in my seventies and widowed so I have to attend to all my own affairs both financially and socially, I take care of my own home and thoroughly enjoy my new occupation which is thriving. Without Zopiclone I would still be the useless wreck I was a few years ago, it has given me a new lease of life and at the moment I am planning to tour the world and write further books of fiction and non-fiction as my knowledge and skill continue to progress. I have never needed much sleep, just five to six hours at most, but zero sleep made me an invalid. It is not a case of "one size fits all", clearly some people should never be prescribed such drugs and that is poor medical treatment and thoughtless prescribing. However, some of us through no fault of our own, need medication such as Zopiclone to be able to live a normal life again, that is my personal view based on the horror of many years of my life lost by complete sleeplessness. It is therefore a very personal and indivual matter and should be dealt with as such. In my case Zopiclone has given me back the life I used to have and I am grateful to my new GP for recognising my need to receive it which thankfully she did and it now on permanent prescription. I stress, each person is unique and must be treated as an individual case according to their symptoms and circumstances. So personally I thank God and my new caring Doctor for her understanding and sound diagnoses. Please don't just "knock" these drugs as they can be a life saver to those of us who fully require them to live a normal life.

• Posted

Hello Birdy76, Thanks for your post. I have been taking Zopiclone for the past 8-9 weeks, gradually uppping the dosage to when I was on 2 1/2 - 3 a night. Would start off with 1, then load the extra when I didn't fall asleep. The other day I had to get more as I had used up a month's supply(30) in just 17 days...my GP was not happy at all and we are now going down the depression track and I have taken 3 Tricyclites the past 2 nights. 

I have been on and off zopiclone over the past 5-6 years, always got off them, longest p[eriod was 6 weeks but had some extra stress lately and this is affecting sleep. I was happy to be taking 2-3 Zs a night but my GP was adamant that anything over 2 was an overdose and she insists that 1 is  enough, and body weight has nothing to do with the dosage, I'm 6' 2" and weigh 108kg. She reluctantly gave me another month's supply, (the pharmacy here in NZ is not allowed to give more than 30 per month, the GP gave the permission) I took a half pill with 3 antideps the first night and slept pretty well. Last night I took no Zs with the antideps and my sleep was near nil, I think. 

I have confidence in Z, I am not trying to end things, just want a good night's sleep. And I know I'll get one even when a bit racie in the heart when I go off to go to sleep though the antideps are helping that. GP hasn't said anything about the effect wearing off with overdosage so I am presuming that is not her concern?

I see lall the posts re negative view of Z and it is concerning. But everyone's case is different. ..thanks for your courage to post here.

I don't want to be on these for life, I need to deal with the real life issues but with poor sleep, this becomes harder. Vicious circle....will try the anti deps and see, but I will take a lower dose of Z tonight again to help the ocnfidence of sleeping...

• Posted

The antidep is Nortyptline, the Zopiclone pill is 7.5mg.

• Posted

What u have written in your mail completely mirrors my own situation. I have read some really bad reports on zopiclone but for me it has been a complete life saver. There must be other people out there who have had a similar experience to us I just wish we heard more of the positives about this sleeping tablet.  Thank you for writing what u did it helps to know other people share the same problems
    • Posted

Hi Ruth it's been a year now & up to 4. You set aren t alone xx

• Posted

I'm really struggling with sleep too my doctors letting me take zopiclone 7.5mg three times a week spaced out over the week so I can get some sleep. But when I Google it or go on here it gives me the fear the story's about it . I feel I have no other choice or I'm exhausted I've tried everytjing herbal and magnasium n mediating xxx

• Posted

Birdy its amazing that you dont have to increase the dose? The body gets used to them and "crave" a higher dose. It is so for me.

• Posted

hi i have been on zoplicones for over 10 years and due to dose becoming less and less effective I have been buying extra from people who purchse them in goa. i now take up to 7/8 a night as i dont the the dosage is anything as strong or has fake ingredients. im scared to tell my g.p and i am slso scared to come off them because the thought of the withdrawal symptoms scares me!!! any help/advice out there for me?

• Posted

I'm going to recommend this for my 29 year old boy who is an engineer just married and has had sleep maintenance insomnia for 2.5 years. He is traumatised. What is your dosage and do you take it every night?

thank you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.