I've begun taking Escitalopram 10mg for panic disorder. Is this the right thing to do?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey all!

I've just started taking Escitalopram for severe anxiety and panic attacks and I'll be 24 in November. I've had anxiety for the last four years but for somereason in the last two months its gotten way worse so the doctor has put me on Escitalopram until my anxiety is under control. I'm just worried that when I come off it that I'll be worse than before I started taking it. Thanks for reading!

Rob

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Don't be like me and wait. Here is my story. This year I started a high stressed job. I have always had some form of an anxiety but for some reason adding stress has ruined me at least for now. I started having daily anxiety attacks then I started having severe every night panic attacks. Then came the racing thoughts then depression. This all went on for 9 months straight until I woke up one night and this is where my health problems and er visited started.

I woke up 4 Mo that ago very lightheaded which continued for 3 Months everyday. During this period I started having problems with lights everything was to bright, heat felt to hot and my hearing has been louder. I got more depressed and wanted to commit suicide. During this time i went to the ER 3 times and no one could find anything. I had MRIs, swallow tests, scopes, ekgs, you name it i had it done. I even lost 50 Pounds in 3 Months

I decided to look for a primary doctor and found a great one who really listened to me and he also did every test, barium swallow, had me go to an eye doctor and still nothing. He did these tests to re out any diseases before he looked into it being anxiety,stress,panic and depression related.

Doctor started me lexapro 10mg for 2 weeks and it was working but very mildly so he just.ped me to 20mg that I have been on now for 7 days. I can tell you I'm not 100% but from 4 Mo the ago till today I am seeing minor improvements and so do my friends and family.

I say this I went from wanting to commit suicide to today feeling 20% better but still need more time since I haven't been on meds long. My thoughts are clear as of today and daily I feel better n better. Don't wait to end up like myself. The doctor said depending do g on the person it could take 2 weeks to 12 weeks or longer to feel great again and normalize.

I say go for it I personally dont ever want to comeo ff this medication as im now scared to slip back into depression

• Posted

Thanks so much for your reply man!

Thats how I've been getting in the last two months, I can honestly relate. I've been having thoughts thinking I'm going mad, there's something wrong with me and that I might not come back from this. I'm on my third day of taking it. having major trouble sleeping and feeling a bit sick from them but I'm just going to stick out the weeks my doctor told me too. I hope you get better as well man, they do say it takes a few weeks for it to start working properly.

I can honestly say I feel better by just reading your reply and realizing I'm not alone.

Thanks,rob

• Posted

I agree totally, you have definately done the right thing! I'm also on the journey with escitalopram and I'm not at the 100% place just yet but loads better than I was! We will get there and I felt like I was going mad too but you will gradually see yourself making baby steps, the smallest of improvement is all in the right direction!

Think of it this way too, it's only a tablet, if you were told you needed a blood pressure tablet you'd take it and quality of life is the most important thing!

You will feel better, stick with it, and this forum is so helpful.

Take care x

• Posted

Hey Susan! Thanks for your reply! I'm on my 7th day on 5mg and tomorrow I will start taking the 10mg. It's just crazy that the anxiety got so bad that it came to this, oh well. i haven't taken a xanax in two days now which is a major plus but at the same time my anxiety is still pretty bad with some negative thoughts, I'm wondering now how bad I'll be on 10mg lol. How long have you been with the Escitalopram? You are right though and this forum does help smile 

Kind regards,

Rob smile

• Posted

I've been on escitalopram since beginning of June, before that I'd been on citalopram which didn't help me! I started on escitalopram on 5mg then 10 and now I'm on 15 which seems to be just right hopefully as I've only been on the 15mg for 3 weeks but I'm feeling more like myself and over the last few days my morning anxiety that was hanging on does seem to have gone! You just have to be patient and give it time! It's hard but it will kick in!

I was getting physical symptoms with my anxiety like shaking inside, nausea, no appetite, sleeping a lot, achy shoulders, bad tummy are among them but these have all settled at the moment!

Hope it all works out for you, stay strong and take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.