I've had slight hearing loss with brown fluid discharge for 6 - 7 weeks

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

I am a 29 year old male and for the last 6 - 7 weeks, I have had a slight hearing loss in my right ear. The hearing loss seems to get worse in the evenings.  This is when I arrive home from work, away from the outdoor and office noise and into a very quiet environment at home. When I lie down at night and tilt my head slightly towards the right, I notice that the hearing loss is not as bad as it was when I was standing up. It's as though the ear "opens up" after I lie down.  I always have the urge to "pop" my ear, but that only gives me slight temporary relief for a few seconds, but even then it is not total relief.  Along with the hearing loss, I also have brown/dark brown fluid coming out of my ear. The ear wax is also dark brown and sticky which is strange because my earwax has never been like this.  Sometimes, I wake up in the morning and there is some of the brown fluid on my pillow and every day when I wake up I need to use about 2 or 3 cotton buds to clear the fluid from my ear in the mornings. My ear does not build up with fluid during the day unless I stick objects in my ear to try and remove ear wax.

There is something wrong but I do not know whether it will heal by itself or whether I need antibiotics. From what I was reading, it seems like a have a perforated eardrum and it is possible that I damaged my eardrum because i do try to clean earwax often, but I thought it would have been healed by now, but it hasn't.  There is no pain, but a bit of discomfort. I am wondering if I possibly have an ear infection or something else? I do not have any medical conditions, but I have always produced a lot of ear wax since I was a child.

Many thanks for your help,

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I've had a perforated ear drum John . Does sound like you have that . I was in really pain with mine . I was vomiting dizzy I was that bad I ended up in a and e.

Sounds like an ear infection to me but don't take my word am no doctor . Good luck

• Posted

Hi. All the symptoms you are mentioning points towards a middle ear infection. You need to see your doctor ASAP. Hope this helps

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.