I've just been diagnosed with asbestosis

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm currently in receipt of pips for anxiety and depression in 2003i was diagnosed with plural plaque but just recently I was diagnosed with asbestosis I've been for a medical arranged through the department of works and pensions they have assessed me as being 14%/20% disabled due to the loss of faculty is lmpaired lung function would be able to claim low rate mobility as I now find it very difficult to walk anywhere and even doing the smallest of tasks has I get out of breath easily. So any advice would be greatly appreciated .

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi, If you report any changes in your condition there's a very high chance you'll be called for another PIP assessment. I'm guessing you claim the daily living part of PIP at the moment? There's no low part of mobility it's standard or enhanced. To get an award of Standard you'll need to score at least 8 points and be able to walk between 20-50 metres and no further regularly and reliably without pain and discomfort. Have a new diagnosis won't make any different for PIP because it's how your conditions affect you daily that gets the award. There's has been a few stories i've read recently that those who've reported changes their award has stayed the same. Although you do also risk losing what you already claim because they'll look at the whole award again. When is your currant award due to end? If it's months rather than years i would think about waiting until you're reassessed before telling them. This of course would be my chocie it's up to you what you decide to do. I certainly wouldn't put myself through all that stressed until i'm reviewed.

• Posted

Hi denise I've had my new assessment and my award is until 2019 and was told that I had to report any changes which I have done I've fought long and hard to get this award so a new battle with them will be nothing new lol

• Posted

You've recently had a PIP assessment and you're going to report these changes? I'm sorry but i'm confused as you wanted advice and then you say you've had you new assessment and your award is until 2019.

• Posted

Sorry denise the award was months ago and was only diagnosed with asbestosis in December .
    • Posted

I see well it's your decision to report the changes or not. Remember though that you could lose what you already have. Good luck.

• Posted

Ronnie I'm assessed at 60% disabled due to asthma ( industrial injury) 25 years ago like you I fought long and hard in my case to get DLA, I'm waiting for the transfer to PIP to come through, I had DLA motability indefinite.

I have 8 new conditions since the assessment and now take 31 different medications to keep them all under control. I'm due to go in soon for a major operation on my shoulder which is on my dominant arm and will take a year to be able to use that arm fully afterwards -

However, I am under no illusions that a transfer to PIP is going to be easy or a given that I'll get it.

I never asked for a reassessment on DLA even though my children sometimes have to help me dress or prepare food. Because of the very real risk of losing motability.

With 2 years left I would have left it with what you had and waited till it was due and then added the extra.

Hopefully you'll get the additional component but as Denise has said it's a very real possibility you might lose what you had, fingers crossed you don't x

• Posted

I was actually going to report changes in my condtion about 8 months before my PIP review. After reading all the stories i decided to wait 8 months for my review. Would never put myself through needless stress unless i had to. At my review though my mobility was incread to Enhanced.
    • Posted

Well I've had s frozen shoulder and had hardly an ounce of mobility in that arm been in had a manipulation on me arm still got problems never felt pain like it I was going to tell them but cudnt go threw all stress I wish you well anywat

• Posted

My shoulder is incredibly painful I'm having some of the bone removed and the biceps tendon and calcium from the tissue. I've had two years of physio and injections to no avail.

My asthma is my main concern, I'm sat using my nebuliser now.

I wouldn't be going through it if the indefinite award for mobility was left as it was however I'm forced to go through it when I get notified of the DLA to PIP transfer.

• Posted

Oh sorry to hear that bought your health well try to get what your entitled too good luck with it

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.