I've quit valium and Zops overnight/Nurse friend worried

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've been overusing zopiclone and valium for about 20 years, zops initially prescribed as non addictive sleeping pill by a GP. I had severe eczema. I was so relieved as I had a young child and it was the only reprieve. I started buying them to bulk up my prescription. Endwhed up telling pysch as I couldn't get them and also was worried. He put me on a reducing dose of 5 x 7.5 mgs, down to 2 x 7.5 mgs. I didn't want to reduce any further. Told a new GP that was  sacked a year later for being "unwell" that I was having panic attacks. He stuck me on valium 3 x 5 mg daily. I was buying both drugs so that I could build up a stash..sometimes I overused badly. I've always had dogs. I have existing dog and was asked to take a rescue puppy 6 weeks ago. I found her chewing a strip of paracetamol three days ago. Was really alarmed. All meds now in a box on top of the wardrobe, except my inhalers. I didn't quit deliberately, I forgot. I should have been hanging off the ceiling. My friend is worried at the "cold turkey" valium thing, but it wasn't cold turkey. I'm very tired, due to the stifling heat in London, and my having photo sensitivity, eczema, asthma, hayfever. It's been a nightmare. New pup couldn't have arrived at a worst time. I've been trying to organize my flat, to prevent pup from eating anything else. She's teething badly and she came from a bad place, so is very hard work. I have slept ?????????? I feel no ill effects apart from being very tired. Also haven't been eating very much. My friend is worried about stopping valium. Any advice. I have my own spirituality, not religion, and am convinced that I am being helped...I'm not completely nuts, just a bit quirky. rolleyes

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Wow. Don't know how you quit both cold turkey. It is not recommended. I am easing off zopiclone veeeerrryyy slowly. I have never taken Valium. If you get very anxious or sick speak to your doctor. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Zoe,

Its a really bad idea to stop cold turkey. You might feel ok the first few days, but after that it will get bad.

You have enough stashed to wean yourself off slowly, and if you take your time, you won't feel any ill effects.

Best wishes,

Shul

• Posted

Zoe, you are going to feel extremely ill very soon.

You can't just stop taking zopiclone or valium cold turkey. You could have fits and you will definitely get terrible withdrawal symptoms.

I was addicted to zopiclone and buying loads online.

I finally went to my GP who advised me to go to the local walk-in refer-yourself drug addiction clinic. It was the best thing I ever did.

Google The Ashton Method. Professor Ashton explains very clearly that the best drug for coming off zopiclone is valium, because valium lasts so long in your body and zopiclone is out of it within a few hours, which causes the awful withdrawal symptoms.

I was started on 30mg valium daily, for three months. After a couple of days I realised that i could cope with what to me was a tiny amount.

Gradually we tapered down the valium, in 2mg doses per fortnight. In other words, I went down to 28mg daily for a fortnight, then 26mg for a fortnight etc etc.

It has been seven months now and I'm down to 14mg and about to go to 12mg.

The doctor at the clinic does all the prescribing and reegularly updates my GP.

He has decided that when I get to 10mg valium daily, I should stay on that for life, since my addiction was of forty years' duration and it wasn't only zopiclone I was taking and buying. Every benzo that exists has been down my throat.

The doc's reasoning is that if i go down to zero, I will be tempted to start buying more drugs on the internet. I agree. I would! But knowing that I can have 10mg valium daily gives me a sense of security.

Please go and get help tomorrow. if your doctor hasn't heard of the Ashton Method, print it out and take it to show her/him.

If you're lucky you'll find a clinic like mine, but a lot of them will only treat people on crack and heroin. In my clinic, all addicts are treated. My doctor says that it is harder to get people off benzos and Zs than it is to get people off heroin.

Zopiclone was introduced as a non-addictive sleeping pill. Ha ha ha ha well it isn't, of course, as we all know now.

I hope this has been helpful. PM me if you want.

love Tess xxx

• Posted

I had been taking only 1mg ativan daily for 2 1/2 years. I stopped on monday on thursday i was so sick with withdrawls.. The doctor told me to stop cold turkey and that it wouldnt be a problem because I was on such a low dose. I found the ashton manual online and followed it. It took me 3 1/2 months to get off.

Your nurse friend is right it is not safe to go cold turkey!

• Posted

I was taking 2 x 10mg every night to help sleep and I also smoke a bit at night. I tried to come off just that small dosage and got the shakes no appetite it was horrible I started on sertraline last week so downed myself to 5mg at night and 5 in the morning and seems to be working out if you've managed 5 days keep on going and be proud of yourself smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.