I've recently changed antibiotics!

Posted , 2 users are following.

I've had a very bad bout of follicullitis recently and have changed from eruthromycin to clarythromycin on the advice of my doctor.

I also use the cream methromyzadol.

I thought the pustules were drying up but  because I haven't been able to get another prescription for the cream  I've been unable to use it for 3/4 days.  Because of this the pustules are returning which means yet another antibiotic isn't working.

I've recently read an article about a new cream which is currently being tried called Ivermectin.  This s ibeing used for the treatment of rosacea.  It isn't being  marketed until 2015 but has been successful in trials for this condition.  Has anyone heard of this cream & if so can it be used for the treatment of folliculitis?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi there,

I feel your pain with folliculitis as I suffered horrifically after sepsis and a massive cocktail of antibiotics. Believe me I tried everything given to me by the medical profession with minimal succes. I was very upset and frustrated until my aunty, who has done lots of research into alternative therapy and conditions of the digestive system, told me that it is caused by candida in the gut and only a probiotic will combat it. Go to your nearest health shop and buy probiotic tablets and take these every day for a month or two and this will balance your system and stop the folliculitis.  I did it. It worked. Dont be fooled into thinking that yogurt drinks will work, these aren't strong enough to help.  

Good luck and I really hope you have the success I did. 

• Posted

Hi Flossy thank you so much replying to me,

I recently bought Acidophilus tablets as recommended by the guy at the health shop. 

But I've read that it's best to take these whilst NOT taking antibiotics.  As I'm still taking antibiotics what do you recommend?

• Posted

Hi Again,

, I'm reluctant to stop the antibiotics as this could make my condition worse.  I'm going to the doctor on Monday & will ask her about this.  Will let you know what happen!.

Many thanks for your support

• Posted

Hi Jenny,

if you are taking the antibtiotics for the folliculitis then stop and just take the probiotic. But if you need the antibiotics for another reason it's best to ask your doctor whether you can take a probiotic with antibiotics.

To be honest my aunty, who is the source of my information, is very frustrated that the medical profession refuse to accept that Candida is a real problem and there is very little research done into the use of probiotics - so it's possible that your doctor might just give you an answer without much information to back up what he/she is saying.

You may be best finding a naturopath who could advise you.

But as I said, if the antibiotics are for the folliculitis - stop them and take the probiotic instead.

You are already having a bad anough time with folliculitis - so it's worth a go.

I can only go on my own experience to advise you.

I look forward to hearing how you got on - good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.