I walked with a cane! woohoo

Posted , 11 users are following.

PT just left, I walked for the first time with a cane!!!  I walked all around inside, so happy, it didn't hurt my shoulder either. Then i got in and out of the car on my own, then walked up and down our very steep driveway with the walker.  I feel accomplished using the cane!  2 weeks post op tomorrow, some days it's the little things.

Annette xoxo

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Brilliant Annette, my goodness fancy you getting in and out of your car, over here in uk not allowed to drive car for six weeks and not ride in car for three weeks.  I am now five days post op, feeling bit rough due to nurses leaving a swab inside my down below after removing catheter, I have been in agony trying to sit down, relief this morning!!  Walking ok though very good inside house can do with one stick outside two sticks necessary as yet told to use two for six weeks.  Hugs
    • Posted

OH MY Goodness Ann!! I cannot even imagine something left " in there" you poor thing! Glad that got figured out!!  Well no driving for me, normally that is 6 weeks but she wanted me to practice the passenger side entry and exit. I guess I am allowed to ride in a car, hubby said       " want to go out to dinner?"  ( I think he is tired of cooking) I said 'no' and therapist was saying '"why not?"  By the way her husband had a double replacement same time. Though my surgery was on my left side but I am not itching to drive anyplace yet. Sounds like you are doing anmzing!, keep up the good work. PT told me when I see the Dr on Wed he will want me walking in on my cane, I love using it!! May I ask a stick is  crutch or cane?

Hugs to you Ann, you are a great inspiration1

• Posted

Hi Ann I am from the uk and I am aloud to get in the car for a ride and I am 4 weeks post op, I got the car home after my op and went out in the car a lot. Where abouts are you in the uk?

I do admit the first was hard but it just got easier and easier smile.

Megan x

• Posted

Hi I am in North Yorkshire near York.  Only certain cars can I get in and out of as have to sit then swing legs round, not risking it for several weeks, I have an electric scooter and am allowed to ride that after three weeks. Thanks
    • Posted

Hi again, I use a walking stick the metal ones the hospital gave me, can't manage on crutches. Managed to walk from kitchen to living room with one stick today only to carry my breakfast in the other hand.  Lucky you having husband make the most of it!!  I am eating frozen meals to put in microwave, hugs etc have a good day

• Posted

Great news Annette. I am 4 weeks post op and I feel a huge difference, glad to here your recovering is going well!

Megan ☺️

Xx

• Posted

So happy for you Annette! It's so encouraging reading this kind of success when I'm struggling a bit right now. Enjoy and keep up the great work.

Hugs,

Fiona xo

• Posted

Well done Annette I bet your so pleased. Onwards and upwards!! I see Consultant tomorrow so a bit nervous so want all to be OK 7 weeks post op rhr 🚗 want to get back driving!!

• Posted

Oh yes it is sweet friend. I am so happy for you. It makes us feel so much better to make those milestones, because at times it feels as if we don't make much progress. Hopefully you will be able to use the cane soon and your shoulder will get a break. Hugs....Barb

• Posted

I am very curious what your physio has cooked up for you next - it sounds as if s/he is vry good. But then ... a model patient with which to work!

It is so good to hear the excitement and pride in your post (well deserved).

Congratulations ... but I have to admit that I think you should have gone out to celebrate with 'your man'.

Hugs,

L

• Posted

Thanks Lind ( smiling here) I forgot to take my 4 pm pain med was very sore by 5;30, femur, incision, dying then thought "I FORGOT MY PILL" .  I tell you she has me doing so any exercises and first thing she says is " I need to inrease the repitions from 10 to 20" I said I am oing 20!  She was so thrilled, said "You hve no ida how happy I am to her that".  I can side walk my kitchen couner fine but to stand and move that left left out hurt my incision area.  Next she is going to hve me walk the road, mind you I hte to a walk the road hip or no hip the grde is VEY steep.  Therapist is a love, walks in nd kisses e hello and goodbye each time.  lol she is sweet.  Annette hugs

• Posted

Very glad you have a good PT - sure wish I had one to come to the house ...

Have you thought about using your phone alarm to alert you to the 'pill time'?

Graham taught me that soon after I joined the forum. It works brilliantly.

Make sure you keep your schedule or the pain get can ahead of you and ... you risk missing another lovely time with your husband (just imain the grin on his face when you suggest it)!

😊😄😈😉.

• Posted

You are so right Linda! I used the alarm yesterday, where was my head?  I had to put the dreaded sox on tonight nd icing constantly, I guess I had quite the workout.  Hugs wink

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.