I want to delay my period for one week. Advice please?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am on the combined pill and  take a 21 day packet and then have a pill free week. I have in the past completely skipped the pill free week and took two 21 pill packets back to back but i had THE WORST periods doing this. I am approaching the end of my current 21 day pack and I need to delay my period for 1 week exactly. Is it possible that I could skip my pill free week and take the first week of my new 21 day pill packet, and then have my pill free week. Essentially I want to have my pill free week one week later. Can I do this or do i have to take all 21 pills back to back??

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rebecca,

If you do not want to end up with an unplanned pregnancy l, please listen to my advice darling.

Unfortunately you cannot just take it for 1 extra week and then have your break after then... let me explain.

The way that the pill works is that when you take it for 21 days (3 weeks) you have built up enough hormone in your system to ensure that you will still be protected from pregnancy during your 7 day break and ovulation will not occur. However, if you go ahead and take it for 1 extra week then have a week off when you recommence the pill there will only be 2 weeks left on that strip before you are due to have your next 7 day break... this is not ok because you will not have built up enough hormone in your system then for you to be protected from ovulation during that 7 day break which then puts you at risk of becoming pregnant. Also if you were to take it for 3 weeks after having your period one week late that means then that your pill packs will be completely messed up and you are going to be due breaks in the middle of your packs which is not ideal and will get confusing which is also gona put you at risk.

So just to recap with a clear to understand answer... no you cannot do that unfortunately and the only safe way for you to skip your period is to take 2 packs back to back.

Stay safe and best wishes!

Sexual Health Nurse.

• Posted

Ok thank you for your advice. What if I am currently not having sex? My boyfriend works overseas and I won't see him until December. So there is no chance of me getting pregnant right now anyway? If i were to have the break 1 week late and then have another break at the end of my pill packet...and then just start my new 21 day packet as normal would this be ok? I just don't want to go a whole 2 months without a period because I'm scared of how painful they are when I skip them for a prolonged length of time. I am going for cervical screening test next week and this is why I want to delay my period for a week. Thank you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.