I want to get off from amlodipine.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I want to stop from taking amlodipine and I don't know what is the best way. I heard that I should done this gradually. Does any body knows of a bad effect from stoping cold turkey?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Last month l complained to my doctor about my swollen legs and he changed amlodipine to another tablet called lercanidipine but now am ok no swollen legs and am good
  • Posted

You should have no problems, my doctor stopped my prescription after taking 10 Mg’s for quite some time, however, I would warn against stopping them without first speaking to your doctor about finding an alternate.

You make no mention of your reason for wanting to stop them. While it is true some people are adversely affected by amlodipine, that is not true of everyone, I certainly wasn’t. If they help manage your blood pressure, stopping them without an alternate is a mistake, particularly if you are simply nervous due to others horror stories. All medications carry risk, the long term damage and risks from high blood pressure are generally worse. Your doctor will weigh those risk factors against possible side effects when amlodipine is first prescribed, only changing your medication if they do not produce the desired results, or you develop significant side effects. 

• Posted

Thanks Robert. Your advice is very wise. I did stop taking amlodipine once and I was doing fine until I ate canned beans and canned papaya which raised my blood sugar level to 160 and eating canned food with high salt contents contributed to a high bp (200) reading, and I was shaking with severe chills, I called 911 and I was hospitalized for 1 and a half day. I got scare and started taking the amlodipine again to get bad symptoms . I am actually getting readings of 115/78.
  • Posted

I have been off amlodipine for over 2 months and still have not recovered from the short term memory damage but the cysts on my face have stopped and are nearly healed.  I stopped abruptly and detoxed for 3 days on xanax and restarted my old med Benazepril and Triampterine HCTZ  50-75.  My BP went from 198/91 to 121 over 70 within 2 days.  Now my doctors suspect the culprit for my Kidney Damage WAS PRILOSEC, AFTER I SENT THEM 4 NEWS ARTICLES.  I stopped Prilosec immediatly and went through 7 days of hell.  I now take 20mgs of Benazepril and 1/4 my normal dose of Triampterine and now have BP as low as 101/60 so on those days I just take 10mgs of Benazepril.  My doctors are astounded.  STAY VIGILENT.. No one knows your body better than you.  Docs are the hammer but not everyone is a nail...The arrogance of my 3 doctors have nearly killed me with the wrong meds and good intentions.  " I have given this combination of drugs to nearly a thousand patients and no one has ever had this reaction..." quote of the day...Maybe it is because they are all DEAD!, as most are geriatric patients who assumed their 'alzheimers' was NATURAL instead of drug induced...Be sure that your doctors are hearing you and have your Pharmacist check their Lexicon for side effects you are experiencing but your Doctors have not believed you nor your 'symptoms'.  I have recently gotten my first apology from one of my more arrogant detractors... Good Luck and made sure you are HEARD...joy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.