I want to stop taking Levothyroxine

Posted , 10 users are following.

Anyone stopped taking this drug, I feel like I am being poisioned, I feel yuk constantly, I was fine before I started to take this drug, I had a blood test to do with manopause and it came back I had under active thyroid, I had no symptoms of uat at all! I would love to go back to how I originally felt, but I'm desperate to no if anyone has stopped taking this, I was on 150mg, thankyou in advance.

4 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi hun, omg that's high dose ! Is that the dose you was started on ? I would go back ask to have the test repeated.

And ask questions regarding T3 T4 levels I am new to this only been taking my meds since January. But I know people who are hypothyroidism and as me started on low dose 25 and now on 50.

I would go back and ask to have your meds adjusted. I know it take a yr or so to start feeling ok. But also are you eating within 2 hrs of taking meds and drinking coffee ? If so stop ! I no longer eat in side 2 hrs of taking meds it realy does help. Also no have no milk at all ! No sugar and avoid certain foods and am feeling a lot better for it. Your be surprised at what affects you and levothyroxine hope I made a little sense.i now drink green tea allow myself 1 coffee a week. No strawberry 😢

• Posted

Hi Joanna smile Please don't stop taking this, because you will add to your problems, and feel oh so much worse than you do now. I agree with rachel and go back to your doctor to have the dose reassessed. They started me off on 250mcg after a total thyroidectomy and it was hell on earth, so they reduced it to 125mcg which has worked perfectly for me. Also in line with what rachel said, don't eat or drink within a couple of hours of taking it - but have you tried taking it at night time? That works better for a lot of people, because your body slows down when you sleep, and the absorbption rate is much more concentrated.  Don't stop taking it, though - go back to your doctor and tell them how you are feeling. Good luck. smile
  • Posted

Hi Joanne, I completely understand!  I was on a very high dose, started on a low dose and went through it with this insane drug for two years. I went from a size 4 to a size 12 and my previously stable weight has been like a roller coaster. I literally blew up like a balloon, had migraines so bad, I thought I'd have a seizure. The small cyst I'd had for 15 years, that had not grown in all that time, grew like crazy on this medication. And yes, the feeling of being poisoned. It didn't work for me at any dose and increasing the dose to get the numbers right just made the side effects and the hypothyroid symptoms worse. So your experience is not atypical.

Here's the problem: hypothyroidism is a disease that results in a myriad of other symptoms and diseases from fibromyalgia and other auto immune disease, to rapid aging and yes, early onset menopause, if untreated. Without proper thyroid levels, your metabolism slows so the body thinks and acts much older than it is, so the rapid aging causes early onset geriatric disease, heart failure, etc.

IF YOU HAVE LOW THYROID, IT NEEDS TREATMENT! To not treat yourself would be foolish. You just need to find something that works for you and a medication that doesn't work can be as bad as no medication.

I tried a bunch of other meds including NDT and in the end, the thing that works best (for me) is a non prescription dessicated bovine glandular. I use American Biologics, but there is also ThyroGold, which others on this site have found to be good. 

Since you are new to thyroid disease, you'll have to do a lot of research on diet, as well as meds. But be forewarned that regulating the meds on your own is very challenging, even for experienced thyroid patients. I've tried to lower them several times in the past and have gotten in really bad trouble! Now, after years of working with a doctor to self-regulate, I'm better at it.

So it's really important that you have a good endocrinologist that you can work with. Most aren't knowledgeable enough to work with the natural meds, so you'll have to try out different ones until you find a really capable Endo. The fact that you're on a high dose indicates a pretty severe problem, so I certainly wouldn't mess around. However, if your instincts and body are telling you this medication isn't working, you need to take this very seriously, as this is data that doctors should listen to. 

I encourage you to read through the many postings on this site, because there are thousands of people struggling with this disease and the meds. There are many solutions others have discovered that will save you years of pain.

Good luck!

Catherine

• Posted

I agree with the last response.  150 mg seems to be a really high dose with someone that stills has a thyroid.   My thyroid was removed and my dose is less.  Listen to how your body feels    Everyone is different with regards to thyroid levels.   Doctors look at TSH test which is a combination of your T hormones.   The last reply is correct, in order to get an accurate reading, the doctor should be requesting separate blood test for your t3 and t4 hormones.  
  • Posted

I was on Thyroxin from 1999 to 2011 then put onto Levothyroxine from 2011, developed an adverse reaction which started last May.   I had to come off it as I was so ill.   The problem is the NHS doesn't offer any alternative apart from being sent to an Endocrinologist who may put you onto T3.   I did a lot of research and with the help of Thyroid UK I discovered a lot of people like me who have had adverse reactions to Levo have gone onto NDT Natural Desicated Thyroid.   Problem then is that you have to fund this yourself as it isn't licensed by the NHS.  NDT was the original treatment for Under Active Thyroid and is made from pig glands.   It was used from 1892 to 1970 when the drug companies bought in a synthetic version, Thyroxin (Elexon I think it was called).   NHS don't want to license NDT as it is more expensive than Levo.   You will need to find a private GP to prescribe it, not all will.   Then Thyroid UK will give you a list of pharmacies who will sell it.   It isn't that expensive to buy if you shop around, I get mine from a pharmacy in Essex, I am just about to order my second lot on a repeat prescription for 1 gran which is equivelent to 100mg of Levo, I think that will be about £46 and last for 3 months at one a day.   You may need 1 and 1/2 grains though.   I would advise you contact or google Thyroid UK for support and advise with this.  
    • Posted

Hi Rosie, I'm in the US. The NDT Used to be expensive here but now it is not, maybe because there are now so many pharma suppliers. By the time I was done with the levo, I was so messed up, that even the NDT would work for me. Plus, I had similar adverse reactions to the NDT as kwith the levo, but to a lesser extent. From the time prior to the levo to after, the NDT supply in the US went from very unreliable and expensive to very cheap and many of the NDTs underwent "formulation changes", which seem to be the source of the adverse reactions for me. 

In in fact my body's response to the newly formulated NDTs indicates they likely contain synthetic products. I tell my experience because in the end, whatever the cost, it isn't worth taking something that was killing me and was NOT effective in treating the disease, making it far worse instead.

Compared to the cost of the illness caused by the levo, the expense of paying for the non prescription glandular is moot. Better yet, I'm not captive to the dysfunctional editable system to adjust the dose, etc. Saves a ton of time and hassle for doctor visits!

• Posted

So are you having any treatment now?  If so what is the treatment you are having, I would be interested to know?

• Posted

Hi Roie, I've been taking a non prescription bovine glandular thyroid. There are quite a few brands out there, and you can find them online. The bovine ratios of T3-T4 are closer to human than porcine, so that helps keep a better balance. Truly, there is no bioidentical for thyroid treatment, and the bovine is the best I've found.

Also, these small non prescription/ supplement companies are mostly organic and everyone I know who's tried them has had better luck than the prescription stuff.

after my two + year roller coaster ride on the toxic levo, I'm finally starting to feel like myself after being on the bovine for 6 months.

• Posted

I think Thyro Gold is bovine as well so I've read, they get the bovine from New Zealand as New Zealand has no history of mad cow disease.   I'm glad you have some alternatives that sounds good.
  • Posted

I agree with others, don't stop taking Thyroxine. I'm assuming your dose is micrograms (mcg). If you're not happy with the advice you're getting, ask to see an endochrinologist. The thyroid is involved in many important body functions that will affect how you 'feel' so there's a 'big picture' to consider. As Claire said, you could easily make things a lot worse. Be strong, you will get better.  
  • Posted

A huge Thankyou to everyone who replied and gave much needed advice, greatly appreiciated,unfortunately my doctor just keeps telling me to take the Levo,will not refer me to anyone, she says I don't even need another blood test, I wish I coud change doctors, the problem there is no other surgeries in my area that are taking any new patients on, I do not drive and I have now become passed caring, anyway thanks a gain to you all for taking the time to assist me!

• Posted

Joanna, please... FIND ANOTHER DOCTOR who will listen to your concerns. It took me three years of hell and degradation of my health before I was able start to get myself healthy again. I'd hate for you to go through the same when all the signs are there from the start, as they were for me. I too tried to work with the Doctor, to my extreme detriment. Hoping for you to find a solution faster than I did.

Goid luck!

Catherine

• Posted

Hi Joanna,

I've been reading your posts and all I can say is listen to your body, it's obviously not responding well to the Levo, but there must be some other treatments (natural) that might be better for you.  Keep reading and doing your research and don't give up.

all the best,

Carmen

• Posted

Hi I've been on levothyroxine 75mg for 5 years, and especially in the last18 months , I feel as though I'm struggling to live, I don't smoke or drink, I'm a stone overweight, but I'm just so fatigued and depressed, and believe you me I've got nothing to be depressed about, I dont take any other medication, 

i was only borderline , so can I stop taking it ? My doctor hasn't got a clue, 

my levels are ok, but would they be ok anyway?  I do take. It in the morning , im going to switch to taking it at night, maybe that would help !! 

• Posted

I got off of it using amno acids and non orescrption bovine. PM me if you need resources.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.