I was diagnosed with Menieres in Sept 06, first attack i...

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was diagnosed with Menieres in Sept 06, first attack in June 06. Since I have had an MRI scan, bloodtests, hearing tests and regular appointments with an ENT consultant. I have tried steriod treatment, serc, buccastem and now on a daily direutic and stemetil to stop the nausea and vomiting.

My attacks are now every 7 days, last about 12 hours during which I am really confined to bed. Attacks seem less extreme, previously I had to lie absolutely still with eye closed. The slightest movement caused vomiting.

I have always been reasonably healthy, suffered from work related stress for many years although of late I don't feel that I am anywhere near as stressed as I used to be and I don't work the long hours or travel as much.

I am against invasive surgery which is the next step apparently. I am trying spinal manipulation although I've tried craniel osteo, accupuncture, tai chi and massage.

Managing to live with this has been the most positive approach to take as I fell into a mild state of depression then realised I am not alone.

Stay positive, try all avenues and explain to friends and colleagues the problem. I have found people very supportive.

[i:0a97e05449]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:0a97e05449]

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Thank you for sharing your experience.  No.  You are definitely not alone! :-) I can entirely relate to your story.  Have you experienced hearing loss and/or tinnitus, as the result of MD?

In terms of surgery being the next step.  I live in the U.S., and failed conservative medical management.  So, I am currently receiving injections of a steroid (dexamethazone) into my inner ear.  Is that treatment available to you?  The injections have decreased the frequency and intensity of my attacks which when I began, were almost daily.  But sadly, the injections have not slowed down the hearing loss.   

According to my ENT, If the dexamethazone  doesn't work in the long run to control the vertigo, the next step before surgery, would be the injection of Gentamycin into the inner ear.  Two weeks after the injection of Gentamycin, you typically experience an increase in vertigo, but then it decreases so that many patients experience 6 to 12 months of complete relief.  Although it's been remarkably successful in treating unremitting vertigo,  the down side is that it can destroy your hearing, which is why I will not opt for that treatment.  I want to keep what hearing I have left.   However, I know patients who opt for it, since their vertigo is simply so debilitating. 

Take good care,

J

• Posted

Hi there,

I was diagnosed with MD about 2 weeks ago, after 3 major virtigo attacks first one was in Novemeber 2015, also i have lost most of the hearing in my left ear and tinnitus ALL THE TIME!

My ENT gave me betahistine 16mg 3x daily only being 24 years old i want to try and find natural cures for this and not pump my body with drugs.

I have read that people with MD take gingko and so have started this. Has anyone else tried this??

I have also started acupunture and currently had 2 sessions, they say that my circulation is really bad and this could also be a cause for MD, virtigo and the tinnitus. Has anyone else tried acupunture??

I am really interested to hear what other people are doing to try and help them day to day with MD.

I dont know anyone else who has MD and found my EnT less than helpful so really just trying to find out as much info about it online as possible. Its also nice to know your not alone as i have found the last couple of months really bad and i wake up feeling like rubbish more days than i wake up feeling good and im getting over it! sad so any suggestions and ideas to help live with this would be much appreciated smile

Another thing, does anyone else get really bad headaches? And also my left ear this is affected gets really itchy!?! Anyone else have this also?

Thank you smile

• Posted

Unfortunately MD is a  bebilitating condition no doubt about that..Hearing loss is a  major side effect of this condition. There may be local Minears disease suppport group in your local area. You will be surprised how many people are out there with similar problem. Sometimes when hearing is effected in one ear due to MD , there is a  possibility that you may feel bit lop sided. Hence correcting your hearing will also give you a  'more balanced' feeling .... That by no means is a rectification of your vertigo .However there are studies now which point into this direction....

• Posted

Before you consider surgery please please try and find a good physio (or perhaps chiropractor). I appear to have stopped the vertigo attacks by visiting an excellent Physio in Abingdon. My C2 vertebrae was twisted and reducing the blood supply apparently. Can't prove it - but seems to have stopped my vertigo at least. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.