I wish that I had never had surgery for my hiatus hernia.

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had curgery over a year ago and I am having so much trouble swallowing that I dread eating.  I feel like I have an elephant standing on my throat. I have had the esophagus stretched twice with no change at all. I have huge amounts of saliva that just rolls out of my throat when I try to eat. Then I have to (nice to describe) spit for hours after trying to eat. Also have a lot of pain in my left shoulder where the doctor said my stomach was. It is extremely painful and I have found nothing to stop it. It just hurts for a while and quits. The doctors have given my morphine for it and  it does nothing.  Anyone else have anything simular to this..

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I have all the same trouble as you and I have not had the surgery although I have thought of it many times so muchain then it just goes away luckily when I wake up its gone until I start to ate or drink or take medication 
    • Posted

So sorry that you are experiencing these problems.. I didn't have the swallowing problem at all until after I had the surgery. Hope that you can get relief.. That is what I'm searching for.  Thanks for the reply.
  • Posted

Hallo Karen Im soon to have my second hiatus hernia op and have been told could have problems with osoephagus. I can relate to pain in shoulder though.The pain is indeed caused by your stomach but not because its near your shoulder.After surgery the digestive system is restricted(permantly I believe) The pain is caused by the vagus nerve being trapped bythe stomach when you digest too large ammounts,or acidy food.The nerve which goes up the body to the neck causes reflex(pain in one part of the body travels along nerve) hence travels to your shoulder. I also had pain going to side of neck and down arm.Pain so severe was hospitalised with suspected heart problems. Good news is I have it under control now. Eat small ammounts of food(which Im sure you must have been told after surgery and eat slowly.Peptac given me in hospital,when they realised not my heart,helped.Also I avoid certain foods,all the nice ones unfirtunately.Have lost 3 stones.  Hope this helps with pain and keep pressing your doc/surgeon for help with other  Best wishes May
    • Posted

Hi May,  Thank you so much for the info which I knew nothing about.Yes my pain is also in the neck and arm plus the shoulder. I have had all these tests run and been in the hospital with them suspecting heart problems too because of the severity and location of the pain. No heart problems. Thank goodness. I just had a test and it revealed that my food is sticking in my throat and esphogus and not emptying into the stomach properly. I told them that but they need the test. It is most miserable. The doctors office called and said that the doctor wanted me to come in to discuss it. I am to have the Motility study in the morning. The problem is dehibitating. I can't eat out without ending up in the bathroom hacking and choking. The shoulder pain is really severe. Thank you so much for the reply because that is more info than I have had. Very interesting.So glad that you have found relief. Best wishes to you and many thanks again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.