I would be really glad to talk to other people out there...

Posted , 3 users are following.

I would be really glad to talk to other people out there who are on these dihydrocodeine and basically finding it hell to even reduce them. I have been on these now for 8 years, but my mum who passed away in 98 used to give me and my sister these - it was her coping mechanism, now i realise it was dangerous, to the extent that we now have a dependancy. However, back then...around 1980 or so,i was a young girl who had at that tender age been through alot. My mum was a great person, she nursed her loved ones to their death at home, so my sister and i remember all this. My mum took them for bad arthritis, and no doubt they elevated her mood, especially throughout all she went through herself.

Please, if anyone in the uk particularly can relate to anything in what i have said, especially regarding the df1188s,as they used to be, i would be grateful to hear from you.

Take care and remember..taking these is what you do,they are NOT you.:yikes:

[i:3c889c26ef]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:3c889c26ef]

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I've been addicted to these things for ages. I prefer the addiction to the back pain. I have been able to give them up from time to time but have always returned to them because of the depression I get. The sweats, nightmares, insomnia and chills only seem to last 3 days, but the depression doesn't seem to pass. I'm resigned to being on dhc for ever, however, I don't mind. To give up you've got to 100% want to, and I don't want to. All the best.

[i:3b4a140c29]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:3b4a140c29]

• Posted

iam on cocodamol 30/500 for 2 yrs aswell as morphine patches the list goes on and on im going to see gp tomos as i know i have a dependancy on them now if i leave it 4hours or more in between takin the tabs i get chills ect iv tried reducing them but the pain is too much for me to cope with so your not alone on this i have mentioned this to my doctor wen another doc reduced the amount of them and i had to take more pills to make up for the loss and he said he dont know y that was done as its the codiene my body needs so even doc knows my body needs this codiene all i can say is if ur gonna do cold turkey its such a horrid experience make sure u stay in bed and try to sleep the withdrwals away think this is wot ill have to do but i do sympathize with what ur going through hun x

[i:8a9d9c7c37]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:8a9d9c7c37]

• Posted

hi i am addicted to dhc i have been for the last 4years i never got them for medical resones i lost my son in 04 was given them by a family member i was taking 5 60milg a day i have tried to get of them for nearly 1 year i am down to 2 60 milg a day can eny one tell me how to come of these tablets thank you

ellen sad

• Posted

hi ellen,

i cannot really tell you how, but i can tell you to expect a variety of unpleasant side effects of withdrawal.

loose bowels for days

paranoia

lack of sleep

the 'eeby geebies' night and day

flu like hot/cold

i experienced the above after using dhc for only three months but three weeks after my last dose i would now say i am 90% ok. i too weaned off to 2 x 30 mg per day but still within 24 hrs of last dose i began to feel very odd then experienced the above. you will feel strongly tempted as i did but if you want to ditch that last dose after coming so far i am sure you will suceeed.

good luck

woo.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.